Project It Forward: Raekwon Mcmillan Or Jerome Baker? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Project It Forward: Raekwon Mcmillan Or Jerome Baker?

Foster was taken ahead of McMillan...

Now the question is should we have taken Foster ahead of Harris? I say, yes, but what about our pass rush...that never materialized anyhoo?

the one thing everybody was sure of week 1 was of our mighty pass rush. that was one thing that Gase had marked off the bucket list. if all this doesn't happen year after year it would be hard to believe.

Enough with the "I'll give him another year because of the injury" stuff. McMillan didn't forget how to play football while injured. His problems aren't agility, speed, toughness. McMillan's problems are being consistently out of position/poor coverage/poor point of attack on run plays/poor tackling. He was labeled as "slower" but a thumper and tackling machine when coming out of college. We aren't even getting that. McMillan is a solid 8+ year career backup MLB. Time to cut bait and move on ASAP at that position.

Baker's speed and agility are impressive, but his lack of size (weight) will be hard to overcome. He also needs to spend a ton of time in the film room. I feel he is definitly the better prospect here.

Enough with the "I'll give him another year because of the injury" stuff. McMillan didn't forget how to play football while injured. His problems aren't agility, speed, toughness. McMillan's problems are being consistently out of position/poor coverage/poor point of attack on run plays/poor tackling. He was labeled as "slower" but a thumper and tackling machine when coming out of college. We aren't even getting that. McMillan is a solid 8+ year career backup MLB. Time to cut bait and move on ASAP at that position.

Baker's speed and agility are impressive, but his lack of size (weight) will be hard to overcome. He also needs to spend a ton of time in the film room. I feel he is definitly the better prospect here.
You make a good point.

Raekwon McMillan is playing well enough to warrant a starting position on run downs. They have him in coverage...that worse than Kiko in coverage (int's not withstanding). That said, I think Baker is more along the lines of the type of LB that can make a difference in the passing game because let's face it...just because we have to run to make sure our starting QB (tannehill and/or Ostweiler) don't blow the game, the league rules are made for games like last night, and the teams that played that game.

Neither will be that game-changing stud we need on defense. Reload and try again in 19. We need our own Vander esch type and we struck out on Jaylon Smith because he looks really good after that brutal injury.

I've said over and over the only scouting reports I read on Raekwon said he projects as an average SAM at the NFL level. If you read his and baker's you'd have to be more excited about Jerome due to the athletic ability.

Enough with the "I'll give him another year because of the injury" stuff.
I haven't seen you post, so I want to be clear...

Do you hold Tannehill in the same regard as McMillan, in terms of giving a player another year?

Surprisingly both are playing decently so far this year..

Not surprisingly Kiko is the worst LB on the team..

Baker. At least the kid has shown you some things here and there.

Raekwon is awful. That draft class is downright terrible.

I thought predraft Raekwon would be the better player between them, but that certainly has’nt transpired... I don’t recognize Raekwon..

McMillan has not in any way played decently. He’s really struggling, particularly mentally. He has a knack for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Some people may try to argue he’s average, which is the best you could say. He may be average at some points, but his lack of awareness really kills the run defense, so I’d say below average . In other words, when he’s wrong, which he often is, the chunk yardage makes a big dent against our defense. The nice thing is he’s got physical ability. I don’t know if he’s dumb or lazy to do the mental and film work, but he really has to improve in his diagnoses and flow to the football. He’s a huge weak link in the atrocious run defense, probably the biggest weakness. (Spence and Quinn should be one and done too. They just get blown off the ball too much.)

Baker can’t hold up physically when you go at him, but the nice thing with him is he offsets it with literally tremendous speed. You can take the occasional tire tracks on him because he can chase down runners in space.

Xavien Howard
Laremy Tunsil
Ja'wuan James
Albert Wilson
Jakeem Grant
Kenny Stills
DeVante Parker (I know, gets banged up a lot. Still our most talented WR)
Minkah Fitzpatrick
Davon Godchaux
Vincent Taylor
Bobby McCain

maybe Jesse Davis

Are the young nucleus of this team

Jerome Baker, Raekwon McMillan, Charles Harris, Mike Gesicki should all be, but the jury is still out on all of them.

I'd say Baker. McMillan, right now, is a two-down linebacker in a league that passes nearly 2/3 of the time. In other words, he really should be a backup. Now, I'm not discounting that he can improve and become a better player in passing downs, but he is not there yet.

Baker to this point seems to be showing the most potential, but considering the injury McMillan delt with last year, I have not totally lost faith in him also.

Back
Top Bottom