Qb Easton Stick Footage | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Qb Easton Stick Footage

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to have a place to put these if anyone wanted to watch them. They've gotten popular on my twitter.

This is Easton Stick's full season of work, minus the Missouri State regular season game and the Montana State FCS Playoff game.

For those that like highlights packages, which I actually respect, here are his regular season touchdowns plus the plays that I thought were the most impressive, one way or another. I do respect watching highlights for a player because I generally want to know, "How good is your good?" and because I do believe in the old football axiom about scouting that says, "Stop telling me what he can't do, tell me what he can do."

This is always a favorite thing for me to explore because it's so important in football. These are Easton Stick's regular season Scrambles and Sacks.

And then this is sort of a bonus that I put together as one of the big draws for Easton Stick is his pro translation and work from under center. This is every regular drop back from under center.

Have fun.

Is he your top "developmental QB"? I'm assuming he would be a mid-late round pick

Is he your top "developmental QB"? I'm assuming he would be a mid-late round pick

Correct. He checks a lot of boxes.

Incredible agility and physically gifted athlete, which showed at the Combine where he was like 99th percentile on the cone/shuttle drills, not to mention running a 4.62 at 224 lbs.

In every single game you can find no shortage of throws that show pro level velocity readouts, which means he's already well practiced at squeezing his throws at the pace that NFL coaches will demand at the next level. You'd be surprised how few QBs in college have a lot of experience doing that, and it can be a problem.

Everything I've heard is that he's a coach's wet dream from an attitude, character, and work ethic standpoint. Ultimate team guy. Doesn't even know how to say the word "I". He and Brian Flores would certainly 'get' each other. Academic All America I think all four years.

He's a winner. I know some don't like to talk about that but he's won 49 games been part of 3 championships in 4 years. And when I say, "part of" I do mean that he took a very active role in all three of them. When he was a freshman he was thrust into 8 games of action in place of injured Carson Wentz. He won all 8 games, including 3 playoff games, getting his team into the FCS Championship Game. Wentz got healthy and played in the Championship (didn't play particularly well, team dominated and won). Going back to the 'team' guy thing, Easton Stick never questioned or said a single word about having to sit back down and give the job back to Wentz so that he could get all the glory. And from what I've seen of him, the very thought would just seem alien, like he couldn't even fathom being upset or voicing displeasure about it.

He went into Iowa back in 2016 when he was just a sophomore and beat the Hawkeyes when they were ranked #13 in the country.

He's run 372 times in his career for an amazing 8.9 yards per carry average. As I said, he's a hell of an athlete, and a very talented ball carrier. I was just thinking about this today because I've seen every single throw, and I've cataloged every single one. I can't remember a single fumble this year. I'll have to check my spreadsheet. But it's something I just realized.

He had a 118 passer rating this year. So there's that.

I charted his Uncatchable rate at between 15-16%. I actually had it 16.0% for the regular season (minus one game), but I hadn't yet charted the playoff performance yet. I know that when I do, that percentage is going to go down, because he completed 46 of 65 passes (71%) in the playoffs which was a lot higher completion than his regular season work. In the NFL, Uncatchable rates range from 13% on the high side (Brees) to 20% on the low side (Rodgers). And as implied, even the elite guys can fall into the low side every now and again.

Something to be said for elevating your game in the playoffs, too. He elevated as both a passer and a runner.

Really good mechanics. He looks and is structured like a passer. He's not one of these guys that looks more like a runner. VERY active feet in the pocket. Over top mechanics. Quick delivery. He carries himself as a passer in the pocket and as a runner like Russell Wilson. Except he's 3 inches taller.

Lots of pro style experience, operating a huddle, taking a TON of snaps from under center, executing hand-offs, executing play-action passes from under center, bootlegs, etc. He operated a passing game with a lot of 2-TE and 2-RB sets. This is extremely compatible with New England's offensive approach the last few years.

It's really tough to find boxes he doesn't check. He didn't play in the FBS or Power Five. He he's only 6012 so that will bother some folks. He had a bad Monday during Shrine week. He played on a dominant team behind a line that gave him lots of time, with a great ground game (of which he was an active driver), with a great defense to back him up. I think sometimes he struggles with ball placement throwing into tight man coverage.

Thanks CK, if the Dolphins draft Stick does he start or do we bring in a vet and have a competition. I really like him and see a ton of upside. This guy has great feet and knows how to extend plays plus he can break down defenses by running the ball. I like that he fires the ball into double coverage and his guy got two hands on it. I like his game a lot!!

I think Easton Stick is a great guy to add to the QB room.

He was an ideal backup to Carson Wentz. Essentially became best friends. When Wentz went down, Stick goes 8-0 and gets them into the Championship Game, and not a word when Wentz got healthy and it was time for Carson to start again in the biggest game. Stick is a team player all the way, and smart. He will improve the QB room.

But I also look at him as having potentially BIG upside. The rough shape of that upside is already drawn out.

1. He's got agility, ball carrying skills, and production that would make most draft running backs jealous, so you know he's a mobile guy that can buy time and do things that way. He averaged 8.9 yards per carry on 372 carries in his career. He's very much in the category of the "new style" NFL in terms of guys that can make things happen on their own.

2. He had a 118 passer rating in 2018. He had a 116 passer rating in 2017. He even had a 104 passer rating as a freshman. He's got a career 108 passer rating. His passing efficiency has been great in college and he's got a legit pro arm that regularly throws passes at 70 to 100 feet in the 51+ mph average velocity range, which is what pro starters with good arms do. His "uncatchable rate" in 2018 was analogous to some of the most accurate QBs in the NFL.

3. His 'feel' for the game is very good. He's great in the pocket, intrinsic sense for pressure. He doesn't fumble. His sense for situations is uncanny. Watch what he does in critical moments of a game, like the FCS Championship this year. There was a point where Easton had a few bad throws (it happens to everyone) and that allowed Eastern Washington to creep back in at 17-10. But then the defense gets you the ball back with a great sack/strip, and Stick hits them with back-to-back touchdown highlight throws. First one scrambling to his left and dropping it right in the bucket for the touchdown. But then Eastern Washington answered right back with a huge 70+ yard touchdown run, threatening to claim the momentum. And what does Stick do? Answers back again with a huge 70+ yard bomb dropped on a dime off play-action. Got nailed hard right after he threw it too.

4. His character and work ethic, locker room personality, are all A+++. You won't find a single person that can say anything negative. I know that people often SAY that about a guy. But it's rarely true. Usually you can always find someone that, for whatever reason, was left wanting. Not with Easton Stick.

I'm not saying we can count on him being that good. The above are the PILLARS of major upside.

You don't often see a QB achieve at the NFL level things that he didn't already achieve in college. Easton Stick achieved GREAT things in college, and has really good physical characteristics.

The latter would be the difference between he and a Kellen Moore, for example. The former would be the difference between Easton Stick and a Ryan Tannehill.

Thing to keep in mind is a lot of what makes us say a guy is a future New England Patriot is now located in Miami.

And, if what I hear is correct about their current thoughts on the draft QB rankings, then Easton Stick could be a future Miami Dolphin. FWIW.
Little bit of a nugget there.

I think Easton Stick is a great guy to add to the QB room.

He was an ideal backup to Carson Wentz. Essentially became best friends. When Wentz went down, Stick goes 8-0 and gets them into the Championship Game, and not a word when Wentz got healthy and it was time for Carson to start again in the biggest game. Stick is a team player all the way, and smart. He will improve the QB room.

But I also look at him as having potentially BIG upside. The rough shape of that upside is already drawn out.

1. He's got agility, ball carrying skills, and production that would make most draft running backs jealous, so you know he's a mobile guy that can buy time and do things that way. He averaged 8.9 yards per carry on 372 carries in his career. He's very much in the category of the "new style" NFL in terms of guys that can make things happen on their own.

2. He had a 118 passer rating in 2018. He had a 116 passer rating in 2017. He even had a 104 passer rating as a freshman. He's got a career 108 passer rating. His passing efficiency has been great in college and he's got a legit pro arm that regularly throws passes at 70 to 100 feet in the 51+ mph average velocity range, which is what pro starters with good arms do. His "uncatchable rate" in 2018 was analogous to some of the most accurate QBs in the NFL.

3. His 'feel' for the game is very good. He's great in the pocket, intrinsic sense for pressure. He doesn't fumble. His sense for situations is uncanny. Watch what he does in critical moments of a game, like the FCS Championship this year. There was a point where Easton had a few bad throws (it happens to everyone) and that allowed Eastern Washington to creep back in at 17-10. But then the defense gets you the ball back with a great sack/strip, and Stick hits them with back-to-back touchdown highlight throws. First one scrambling to his left and dropping it right in the bucket for the touchdown. But then Eastern Washington answered right back with a huge 70+ yard touchdown run, threatening to claim the momentum. And what does Stick do? Answers back again with a huge 70+ yard bomb dropped on a dime off play-action. Got nailed hard right after he threw it too.

4. His character and work ethic, locker room personality, are all A+++. You won't find a single person that can say anything negative. I know that people often SAY that about a guy. But it's rarely true. Usually you can always find someone that, for whatever reason, was left wanting. Not with Easton Stick.

I'm not saying we can count on him being that good. The above are the PILLARS of major upside.

You don't often see a QB achieve at the NFL level things that he didn't already achieve in college. Easton Stick achieved GREAT things in college, and has really good physical characteristics.

The latter would be the difference between he and a Kellen Moore, for example. The former would be the difference between Easton Stick and a Ryan Tannehill.
Watching his tape, Easton Stick reminds me a little bit of Mitch Trubisky. He's very intriguing, especially since Miami figures to be locked out on the top two quarterbacks this year in Murray and Haskins.

I like the potential for a late or middle round flier on a qb

Back
Top Bottom