QB option | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB option

too early to tell for sure but right now id rather rashaun woods or lee evans, but this draft is so wide receiver heavey we should be able to get a decent one anywhere up until the third round, maybe even a sleeper later...

Originally posted by Stamos
Baltimore reached on Boller in my opinion. Nothing he did in college would lead you to believe he'll be a good pro. Pure ability got him drafted in the first round. The guy was second day pick until he showed a strong arm, and great athleticism.

As for Rivers, I hope the day never comes when he's Miami's starting QB.

Also, Ben Roethlisberger is the best QB prospect I've seen since Peyton Manning.

If we can't have Roethlisberger then I want Brunell, Sage, and a WR or OL in the first. End of Story. I do love the drafts on D that the Ravens have had. I could live with Savage. I want Mueller though. He has the evidence. It is not reaching...hopeful...it is fact. We can point to what he has done.

Also, I would be willing to bet that the GM will have hire/fire power over the head coach, but...not for this year.

Re: Re: Re: Re: QB option

Originally posted by DeDolfan

Why not just resign Wally. We know what he brings and it would only create another hole to fill.

Money. We spend WAY too much on defense as it is, and WAY too little on offense. We can't afford to sign wally long term, which means we have to tag him for a first and 3rd round tender this year. IF he doesn't get signed, we owe him something like 1.8 but he becomes an unrestricted FA next year. We STILL can't sign him then, and we'll get nothing out of him leaving. It's best that we get 2 picks from the guy. I like the guy and would like to keep him, but it would be rediculous to pay what he's asking when our real need is on offense.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: QB option

Originally posted by Graythreat

Money. We spend WAY too much on defense as it is, and WAY too little on offense. We can't afford to sign wally long term, which means we have to tag him for a first and 3rd round tender this year. IF he doesn't get signed, we owe him something like 1.8 but he becomes an unrestricted FA next year. We STILL can't sign him then, and we'll get nothing out of him leaving. It's best that we get 2 picks from the guy. I like the guy and would like to keep him, but it would be rediculous to pay what he's asking when our real need is on offense.

Ya beat me to it.:up:

Originally posted by KBISBACK
Those of you pushing for Garcia have not payed attention over the past two years. You fail to see what not having a strong armed quarterback does to this offense.

To run a play action oriented passing offense like the one Norv runs, you have to have a quarterback that can throw the ball down the field. All you guys are looking at is mobility, and that's exactly what gets you a bad quarterback.

Garcia is JF with a huge upgrade in decision making and a smaller upgrade in arm strength.

A play action oriented passing doesn't go deep all the time, just occassionally. Most often it just opens the passing areas behind the LBs. Garcia's arm strength is easily good enough for this O.

Originally posted by dreadlockera
It would take both #1 picks and alot of luck to land any of the top three QBs in the draft. Even less likely we will get a good fairly young QB via free agency. Manning would be ideal but very unlikely. Couch will stay put with the uncertainly about starter in Cleveland. Brunell, Garcia and Warner are stop gaps until we can get a young kid to take over the reigns.
Baltimore gave up this years #1 to get Suggs last year (not bad though). Wright is putting up good #s and led them back from a 21 pt deficit earlier in the year and into the playoffs almost beating a great Tenn team. He has the mobility to create havoc on D and I really get the feeling the coach loves the kid, he was 3rd on the depth charts starting the season. I dont think its impossible to trade one of our #1 picks to them for bolller, assuming Wally fetches us a #1 pick. We could then go either WR or T with the other and have a solid foundation for the future. Last years QB draft was exceptionally deep and it was 3-4 good QBs. This year is much less, 2 maybe 3. If we could get a top 5 pick most years (in Boller) for ONE #1 pick that would be the best option. Boller has great upside and perhaps is better than Rivers and below in this years draft. Perhaps better than Ben too. Most will say its impossible, but without a #1 Baltimore will feel the sting of last years trade. They may part with one of their good young QBs and Boller will fetch the pick they want before wright will.

Why does everyone think it will take so much to get a top 3 QB (as in Eli, Roth, or Rivers.....yes, rivers is better then Loseman).

It's not about the talent of the QB. It's about what teams need. Look at the draft order, and tell me who's taking a QB in the first round that's ahead of us.

Charges are the best possibility, though they have Breese.

McNown played well for Arizona at the end of last season. That puts them on the fence for drafting a QB when they have much m ore pressing defensive concerns on their team.

Raiders- SHOULD draft a QB, but that's far from a given.

Those are the most likely candidates for drafting a QB in the first round, and ALL are on the fence. Not many teams draft a franchise QB high in the draft without having a glaring need. Not many teams are willing to give up a first round pick high in a draft with this many great looking WR's for a QB that they might or might not need.

I think it is VERY possible for us to trade high in the draft. If we get 2 first rounders, and trade away a pick from next year, we're top 10 material. That's an eli possibility, and a Roth probability.

We have what we need to get the picks, we just have to get the balls to do it.

Now, as for that glaring need on our O-line. YES we have a glaring need, NO we shouldn't draft an OL higher than a QB in this draft. It takes 2-3 years to groom a good QB, we need to start on that now..SHOULD have started on that years ago. But we've neglected it. We'd be foolish to draft an offensive line and not have a QB behind it to throw. Whereas, if we draft a QB high, and try to fill gaps on the OL low, and in FA .......hoping for the best we could be set. At the very least we could draft OL next year, as OL are MUCH quicker to become starters in the NFL compared to QB's.

Originally posted by rafael

Garcia is JF with a huge upgrade in decision making and a smaller upgrade in arm strength.

A play action oriented passing doesn't go deep all the time, just occassionally. Most often it just opens the passing areas behind the LBs. Garcia's arm strength is easily good enough for this O.

I disagree.

The reason San Francisco is going to go with Tim Rattay is that he gives them better ability at throwing down the field.

Did you see Torry Holt this morning talking about the 20 yard dig routes and Michael Irvin talking about the deep comeback routes in this offense? See, the offense the Rams run and the offense Dallas ran with Norv Turner is the very same offense the Dolphins run. The Dolphins version is just dumbed down due to a lack of talent. Those are pass routes that have been thrown out of the playbook due to our quarterback's inability to throw those routes. Those are the routes that will keep that 8th man out of the box and open things up underneath for the tight end in the passing game. With Jeff Garcia, Miami still won't be able to open up the offense. He is terrible at throwing the ball down the field.

Re: Re: Re: Rivers and Losman both have upsides...

Originally posted by dreadlockera

How do you feel about Michael Jenkins in the 1st rd?

Say we were to trade down to the very bottom of the 1st, or the top of the 2nd.. then yeah, I'd love to get Jenkins. But at #20, I simply prefer Evans or Clayton right now. If Woods is there, we should pick him without looking at option #2(which will likely be a LB :tongue: ).

Re: Re: QB option

Originally posted by Graythreat

Why does everyone think it will take so much to get a top 3 QB (as in Eli, Roth, or Rivers.....yes, rivers is better then Loseman).

It's not about the talent of the QB. It's about what teams need. Look at the draft order, and tell me who's taking a QB in the first round that's ahead of us.

Charges are the best possibility, though they have Breese.

McNown played well for Arizona at the end of last season. That puts them on the fence for drafting a QB when they have much m ore pressing defensive concerns on their team.

Raiders- SHOULD draft a QB, but that's far from a given.

Those are the most likely candidates for drafting a QB in the first round, and ALL are on the fence. Not many teams draft a franchise QB high in the draft without having a glaring need. Not many teams are willing to give up a first round pick high in a draft with this many great looking WR's for a QB that they might or might not need.

I think it is VERY possible for us to trade high in the draft. If we get 2 first rounders, and trade away a pick from next year, we're top 10 material. That's an eli possibility, and a Roth probability.

We have what we need to get the picks, we just have to get the balls to do it.

I've watched the draft for years and it doesn't work like that. Rothlisberger and Manning are two of the best players in the draft and regardless of what teams need, someone will draft them high. They won't fall past a certain point.

If we have two first rounders it is possible that we trade into the top ten but, it depends on what team is giving us the second first rounder. If it's a team in the 20s you can forget it. There are usually a number of top tier players in each draft and after a certain point a lot of the players rank very close to each other. It's usually the top 5-8 guys who are blue chippers and then the rest of the first round talent comes after that. That's why it may be difficult to trade up to get one of those top 5-8 players when teams in the top positions know there's a drop in talent.

Actually weaker arm...

Jeff Garcia doesn't make sense for Norv offense.

The Dolphins need a Troy Aikman type for this offense. This is an offense for a drop back passer, and that's what Miami needs to focus on.

Originally posted by KBISBACK

I disagree.

The reason San Francisco is going to go with Tim Rattay is that he gives them better ability at throwing down the field.

Did you see Torry Holt this morning talking about the 20 yard dig routes and Michael Irvin talking about the deep comeback routes in this offense? See, the offense the Rams run and the offense Dallas ran with Norv Turner is the very same offense the Dolphins run. The Dolphins version is just dumbed down due to a lack of talent. Those are pass routes that have been thrown out of the playbook due to our quarterback's inability to throw those routes. Those are the routes that will keep that 8th man out of the box and open things up underneath for the tight end in the passing game. With Jeff Garcia, Miami still won't be able to open up the offense. He is terrible at throwing the ball down the field.

I guess we'll just disagree.

Not about the O, but about Garcia. I didn't watch the thing with Holt, but those 20 yard dig routes are what I was saying Norv's O is designed to do, open up space behind the LBs. B/c of my location, I watch more SF games then I want and I see Garcia throw that pass all the time. Also, he often does it on the run, which might be useful behind our OL.

For those who say Garcia's arm is weaker than Fiedler's, you don't know what your talking about. I often end up watching a SF game right after the Miami game and there is no comparison. Garcia's passes have considerably more velocity and a flatter trajectory on those deep ins and outs. It was really obvious in the last two weeks of the season. SF was throwing more of these routes (probably b/c of Erickson) than they have all season.

I believe that Garcia would be a tremendous asset in Norv's offense. The reason Troy Aikman became a Pro-Bowl QB in that system,was that he had the accuracy of a surgeon. This is Fiedlers GLARING weakness. He can make a nice throw but it is followed by 15 terrible throws. Garcia has better accuracy and he really didnt have a running back, like Ricky, to keep the defense honest. If we could get Garcia in FA, I feel it would be an upgrade from what we have. The one thing I love about Fiedler, is his heart. This guy will give you his all, all of the time. It may not be Pro-Bowl quality, but it is at least honest effort. Same can be said for Garcia. He plays with his heart on his sleeve. Keep in mind as well, this year, he played for a coach that is an idiot. Given the choice of Garcia, Brunell, or Warner, I would choose Garcia. He is younger than Brunell, just as mobile, and is not coming off a significant injury. Warner developed happy feet, after his concussion, and lost his accuracy and I feel he still has lingering effects of the broken finger. The upside to Warner, is that if he could somehow regain his confidence in his arm and restore his accuracy, he would flourish in Norv's system. It is all about the accuracy people, not the arm strength. Any thoughts?
:monkeyr: :jetssuck: :monkeyl:

I guess we'll just disagree.

Not about the O, but about Garcia. I didn't watch the thing with Holt, but those 20 yard dig routes are what I was saying Norv's O is designed to do, open up space behind the LBs. B/c of my location, I watch more SF games then I want and I see Garcia throw that pass all the time. Also, he often does it on the run, which might be useful behind our OL.

For those who say Garcia's arm is weaker than Fiedler's, you don't know what your talking about. I often end up watching a SF game right after the Miami game and there is no comparison. Garcia's passes have considerably more velocity and a flatter trajectory on those deep ins and outs. It was really obvious in the last two weeks of the season. SF was throwing more of these routes (probably b/c of Erickson) than they have all season.

I don't know where you get this from about Garcia having good arm.Garcia can barely throw fourty yard pass in the air.

They traded for Boller not Suggs.

Back
Top Bottom