QB option | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB option

Originally posted by minus

I don't know where you get this from about Garcia having good arm.Garcia can barely throw fourty yard pass in the air.

I thought I explained it fairly well in my last post. I disagree with your assessment of his arm strength.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rivers and Losman both have upsides...

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84

Say we were to trade down to the very bottom of the 1st, or the top of the 2nd.. then yeah, I'd love to get Jenkins. But at #20, I simply prefer Evans or Clayton right now. If Woods is there, we should pick him without looking at option #2(which will likely be a LB :tongue: ).

I think Jenkins has all the intangibles. Great size, hands and speed.

Re: Re: Re: QB option

Originally posted by finsfan4life

I've watched the draft for years and it doesn't work like that. Rothlisberger and Manning are two of the best players in the draft and regardless of what teams need, someone will draft them high. They won't fall past a certain point.

If we have two first rounders it is possible that we trade into the top ten but, it depends on what team is giving us the second first rounder. If it's a team in the 20s you can forget it. There are usually a number of top tier players in each draft and after a certain point a lot of the players rank very close to each other. It's usually the top 5-8 guys who are blue chippers and then the rest of the first round talent comes after that. That's why it may be difficult to trade up to get one of those top 5-8 players when teams in the top positions know there's a drop in talent.

Based on the NFL trade value chart I have, it would take at least # 19 and our #20 to get to #5. To get to #8 we would need #32 and our #20.

Of the QBs, only Manning and Roethlisberger(sp?)(somebody needs to come up with a short nickname for this guy) are top 10 blue chippers. I'm not saying anybody's favorite QB can or cannot be better, I'm just saying no other QBs will be drafted that early.

If you like Henson so much just draft him then. Houston loses his rights the day of the draft (or somewhere a few days before)

I really believe we should go for a QB and WR and sign a few FA OL. If we sign a RT and Dixon doesn't retire we have some good OL already.
Wade Smith, Tyler Yates, McKinney, Dixon, Taylor Whitley, Jerman

This means we'd only need to re-sign Nails and sign two FA OL. We could either draft an OL late or keep just keep 8 or 9 OL.

The WR OTH will need a FA and a draftee.

The QB position will most likely need a FA and a draftee as well. (re-sign Sage to backup)

This leaves us open to fill a few of our other spots depth wise with our remaining picks and take the best guy there each time.

We will not get a first and third for O-Gun. We don't want other teams to not go after him, we need the picks and the cap space while having a ton of other DE's to plug in already. (In fact, I bet we just tag him at a first)

As far as the original point of the thread, they can't trade him w/o taking a HUGE cap hit so they won't be doing that any time soon.
Just a few of my thoughts on the matter.

Originally posted by minus

I don't know where you get this from about Garcia having good arm.Garcia can barely throw fourty yard pass in the air.

He doesn't miss near as many open receivers as Fee Fee does.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: QB option

Originally posted by Graythreat

Money. We spend WAY too much on defense as it is, and WAY too little on offense. We can't afford to sign wally long term, which means we have to tag him for a first and 3rd round tender this year. IF he doesn't get signed, we owe him something like 1.8 but he becomes an unrestricted FA next year. We STILL can't sign him then, and we'll get nothing out of him leaving. It's best that we get 2 picks from the guy. I like the guy and would like to keep him, but it would be rediculous to pay what he's asking when our real need is on offense.

I think too much is made out of this. True, we spend too much on D, for what we're getting out of it. ogun, however, has not been the problem on D. But the smart thing would be to tender him, give him the qualifying offer or whatever it's called to maintain the advantage with him. I've always been sceptical of giving someone a big deal based only on one good year. I would rather go this way with him, with hopes that no one esle will bite, pay him the 900k next yr [don't know where the 1.8 comes from] and we have him back for cheap. And no we won't necessarily lose him next yr for nothing if we can't re-sign him. That's what franchise tags are for just in case he turns in another stellar yr and his worth goes off the charts. But if $$$ is the main deal, then i would look to save it on other players on the D and not just lay O-gun oout there like that for a couple of picks and would have his spot to fill with who knows who? but if someone signs him to a riciculous offer, then we at least have the 1st and 3rd options available to us this yr tho. At least the fO is in the driver's seat on it.

Back
Top Bottom