QB spot | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB spot

I'm gonna wait till I see AJ with our first team offence in the preseason to make a jugedment. But I think he'll do better than Jay did and we're not done yet with the o-line.

Ozzy rules!!

Let us not forget that june first will yeild, Either Kurt Warner or Bulger. Do not be suprised if Aj is the answer. Rick has had some good insincts. He finally has the oppertunity to follow them. Dolfanreal69

Originally posted by Dol-Fan Dupree

without the record you can't make into the playoffs. Then the record in the playoffs. That is how you mark improvement.

Oh, as in last year's "better" record? Reason LYs record was not better is because in spite of our record, we were out of the playoffs sooner then the previous years "worse" record when we even had a shot at home field til the end. see the difference yet?

Originally posted by sbh1602

Umm... I have to make my jump from lurker to poster on this one. Do you realize the absurdity of that statement? I know what you mean. It's hard to look at this team and say they've progressed, but c'mon... record is THE one thing that gets you into the playoffs...

Regarding the HC situation, I do believe Wannstedt could take us all the way. But wait... that's not the thread topic here... :confused:

It's not absurd at all if you understand why it was made. See above re:.

with a 10-6 record the year before Miami was in the playoffs. You aren't making any sense. Improvement doesn't depend on how all other teams perform.

Originally posted by Dol-Fan Dupree
with a 10-6 record the year before Miami was in the playoffs. You aren't making any sense. Improvement doesn't depend on how all other teams perform.

If you're going to argue a point, at least get your facts straight. miami has never gone 10-6 under Wannstedt and made the playoffs.
I've agrued this time and time again......

1st yr....11-5, won AFCE, lost 2nd rnd playoffs
2nd yr...11-5 again, backed in with a WC, lost 1st rnd....
3rd yr....9-7, had inside track for home field, lost AFCE and a WC spot on the very last day.
4th yr....10-6 and barely in hunt for the last WC, lost out 2 weeks before season ended.

Therefore, our "better" record last year was still a regression from the previous year in that we were bounced out sooner. The last 2 games were merely "practice". Plus, last year we played like 9 teams with losing records. The previous year it was around 4 or 5. Year before the 9 wins were against better teams than LYs 10 wins. So, again, a "better" record simply means [in this case] that you just had more "wins" but not necessarily were a better team. understand yet?

You misunderstand. The year before last, if Miami had a 10-6 record they would be IN the playoffs.

The last game was the only game that was "practice".

You don't choose who you play against.

I can see an arguement that they were the same from 3rd year to 4th year, however I see no actual proof, other then your personal opinion, that they regressed.

DeDolfan,

You have a point about Wanny. It's just not concrete evidence IMO. This roster, "today", is as strong as any roster we've had within the last ten years IMO. The talent is there, and the team as a whole is more balanced than ever....

Wanny can only do so much. He's also done enough IMO. I can't find any proof that he's been any less productive than Don Shula in his final years, or Jimmy "Three years" Johnson was while in Miami....

In reality, Jimmy Johnson was the bigger disappointment. He was considered the best HC in the NFL when he came here, and where did he take us???...No further than Dave has....

....And at least Dave never made unrealistic promises to the fans like Jimmy did. He's done what he's been expected to do IMO, nothing more nothing less....

PHINZ RULE!!!:pirate:

Remember the last game of the season against the Jets, when Wanny coached like his job depended on it ?(which it did) Remember how he opened up the offense just a little and how well the players responded? Hopefully THAT Wannstedt is the coach we'll be seeing this season.

Back on topic...this style of offense doesn't need an all mighty QB with a cannon arm who can launch it 80 yards while doing backflips. It just needs a smart QB who is accurate with the short passes and the occasional long ball (much like Brady in NE). Fiedler is a smart QB with a lot of heart but his biggest weakness is accuracy. How many times did the ball sail over a wide open Chris Chambers? How many interceptions were caused by Fiedler trying to do too much and squeezing the ball where it shouldn't have been thrown? That's why it's time for a change. Is Feeley the answer? We don't know yet...but he supposedly has all the intangibles Fiedler has, but is more accurate with a better arm. Maybe that's enough...:hmmm:

Blitz, remember that Wanny has been saying "This team is close" (as in close to winning a championship) for YEARS now. He promised a top passing attack before last season, and he promised we would LEAD the league in rushing during the last half of this past season.

Either Wanny has deluded himself into believing what he is saying, or he is feeding us a bunch of crap to keep us happy and hopeful.

Furthermore, I've expected Wanny to get to and win a Super Bowl! Maybe he has met YOUR expectations as a coach, but he is falling far short of mine.

Originally posted by Deus Ex Dolphin
Blitz, remember that Wanny has been saying "This team is close" (as in close to winning a championship) for YEARS now. He promised a top passing attack before last season, and he promised we would LEAD the league in rushing during the last half of this past season.

Either Wanny has deluded himself into believing what he is saying, or he is feeding us a bunch of crap to keep us happy and hopeful.

Furthermore, I've expected Wanny to get to and win a Super Bowl! Maybe he has met YOUR expectations as a coach, but he is falling far short of mine.
I don't think it's a matter deluding himself or wanting to trick us, I think he believes what he says. Call it delusional if you want but, I call it confidence. Until circumstances prove that those goals aren't realistic then I want Wannstedt saying exactly what he has been saying.

You don't expect him to say I hope.... or I've got my fingers crossed, do you?

I wanna hear, we WILL do this and we WILL do that....not we might.

Back to the QB spot.....]

There is a lot of us that have seen AJ play. You can downplay the quality of teams he played against, as some people have, but the bottom line is that when the Eagles needed the games, they got the wins with AJ...and they didn't have as good a running game or as good receivers (this coming year) as we have. Not only did he pull out the wins when needed, he got them home field advantage...yes, they had a good defense that helped him...but guess what, so do we....These are the things that lead me to believe that AJ is going to be better than JF....Unfortunately, JF has not been able to come thru when we needed him and just when he seems to get hot, it also seems he gets hurt. The blaring problem we have been faced with for four years is depth at QB. Perhaps this could be answered with JF....That is what we have to bank on, but I see that as the best option we have had in the last 4 years. Maybe, just maybe...this will be the time that things come together for this team....If not, I am afraid that we will be back to square one with a new coaching staff in 2005...

Fin atic come on, where is it fact that feeley wont be good? therefore your argument is lame. Sorry but to criticize those that feel he will be good based on your own opinion and then refer to YOUR OPINION as fact is wrong. Where is anyone saying it is fact that Feeley will be great? no where. Where is your FACTS PROVING he will fail? Yep some of us thought he showed something when he had the chance, reading articles on his life showed me something of his character as well. So yes I hope and believe he does well, and I hope I am right,.... because I hate the results if I am wrong.

You guys want to be pessimists, so be it. Your opinion is your own and you are entitled and I respect it. What I dont respect is when you put your opinion out as fact which basically says you have a superior right to that opinion and we dont have the same right. there are no guarentees, come on and tell me that you had the fatcs in the 2003 offseason that Delhomme would succeed in Carolina right? After all he was a household name after all. I like the potential Feeley shows, he has to reach that potential and yes there is questions as to whether he will, but he has the chance and may do just that.

The part I still love is teh double standard that exists, if we like Feeley we are homers buying the line. Yet you are so POSITIVE your choice is a guarentee, I dont get it?!? It is almost like saying dont follow the experts follow me cause I said I am the expert. Oh and there are more than 1 expert each w/ their own opinion. Funny thing it is the people in teh nfl are saying Feeley is good, it is the JOURNALISTS THAT NEVER PLAYED that say Feeley is not worth the second rd pick. Remeber Jaws who criticizes the fins alot? Well he said this, i am paraphrasing by the way, the price we paid was steep and may turn out to be excessive, but Feeley is a smart qb that shows poise in teh pocket, doesnt rattle and makes quick decisions and gets rid of the ball, almost always to the right receiver.

the comment above illustrates the 2 sides, the Feeley pessimists say that he cannot be as good as what we gave up, the price was too high, ignoring teh qualities Feeley is proported to have. The feeley believers look at the skills that is stated and say that he has the potential to be the leader of teh offense and improve the passing game tremendously while accepting we paid a high price, almost an indifference to that price. Now I may be simplifying this, but generally it is where the focus is. the realty is there is both sides and his play will determine the outcome. But certainly whether he succeeds or fails will not be based on Yours or My "facts".

well we will see what kind oif coach he is. he does not have the added distraction of personell anymore so he can focus in on coaching. Rick has improved the talent on this team and is not done. So now the question, at least to Wayne, will not be personnel but coaching.

I still LMAO at all this over optimism and overt pessimism. How do any one of us know what will happen? If you are such an expert, why arent you in teh game? IN THE NFL, forget High school or pee wee. Now yes many of you know alot about football, even the ones I disagree w/ (hahaha), some maybe alot know more than I, especially Xs and Os and schemes. I am not a stupid fan however, and teh only thing I see is that the positions that the masses believe to be the weaknesses and were stated as such by teh Fo have been aggressively addressed, whther you or I agree with the picks or not. So the fact that they addrerssed these holes gives me hope and a belief we are possibly headed teh right way.

time is running out and Wanny and Rick will answer for teh moves made, THEY DO work in the NFL, I doubt they want to lose their jobs so I do believe that they put their best foot forward.

Originally posted by inFINSible
I don't think it's a matter deluding himself or wanting to trick us, I think he believes what he says. Call it delusional if you want but, I call it confidence. Until circumstances prove that those goals aren't realistic then I want Wannstedt saying exactly what he has been saying.

You don't expect him to say I hope.... or I've got my fingers crossed, do you?

I wanna hear, we WILL do this and we WILL do that....not we might.

So Wanny believes what he says? :eek: This scares me. I'd rather he was doing a public relations bit. Telling us what we want to hear.

Why? Because if Wanny REALLY thought we would have a top flight passing game (by keeping Jay and adding Thompson) and that we could lead the league in rushing in the second half of the season (despite the OL problems and teams stacking the line daring Jay to throw) then he is out of touch with reality.

It means he is so optimistic about some of the players we have that he can't properly evaluate them. Thankfully, Rick has taken over those duties. Still, Wanny DOES NOT see the weaknesses on this team if he says things like above and believes them.

This leads to stupid game plans that don't try to cover weaknesses and offensive plans that we have no shot at carrying out. A good coach HAS to know what kind of players he has and what they can realisticly do. Wanny is clueless if he really believed what he said about our passing and running last season.

Back
Top Bottom