QB spot | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB spot

Originally posted by Deus Ex Dolphin

It means he is so optimistic about some of the players we have that he can't properly evaluate them. Thankfully, Rick has taken over those duties. Still, Wanny DOES NOT see the weaknesses on this team if he says things like above and believes them.

This leads to stupid game plans that don't try to cover weaknesses and offensive plans that we have no shot at carrying out. A good coach HAS to know what kind of players he has and what they can realisticly do. Wanny is clueless if he really believed what he said about our passing and running last season.

I sorta agree. He has a myopic tendency to overlook players' weaknesses... But he can't be blaimed for believing in his team. That tends to build up the confidence of his players - which is not necessarily a bad thing.

That may be true but if you stick your head in the sand log enough you suffercate!

Originally posted by Dol-Fan Dupree

Who said Fielder was a good replacement for dan the man? I read a cheap replacement, but good i never read.

I heard of Feeley, I was impressed with his play. I wanted Miami to get him last year.

I distinctly remember watching him in his 5 replacement games. I remember thinking how lucky Philly was to have such a good back up. Notice I say back up...I personally don't know how he'll perform as a starter. Hopefully the same as he did in those 5 games. We'll see.

Fielder is the prime example of Wanny being blind to player talent. He talked with Jay to convince him to stay, without a salary cut even. No doubt Wanny is thinking Jay has a REAL shot at starting this year too. :cry:

This DESPITE NO OTHER TEAM in the league giving Jay a whiff at more than a back-up role. So Wanny knows Jay can get us to the promised land, and those other 31 teams are wrong about Jay?? :rolleyes:

At least Feeley gives me some hope that we will have a QB with accuracy and consistency this year. I'll support AJ (actually I'd support Jay too, though I'd be looking for miracle) though getting another QB in here to compete would be good.

I have to agree with your post totally. I never understood why wanny was retained this team found a way with him at the helm to miss the playoffs with a 10-6 record. Dolfanreal69

Originally posted by Deus Ex Dolphin

So Wanny believes what he says? :eek: This scares me. I'd rather he was doing a public relations bit. Telling us what we want to hear.

Why? Because if Wanny REALLY thought we would have a top flight passing game (by keeping Jay and adding Thompson) and that we could lead the league in rushing in the second half of the season (despite the OL problems and teams stacking the line daring Jay to throw) then he is out of touch with reality.

It means he is so optimistic about some of the players we have that he can't properly evaluate them. Thankfully, Rick has taken over those duties. Still, Wanny DOES NOT see the weaknesses on this team if he says things like above and believes them.

This leads to stupid game plans that don't try to cover weaknesses and offensive plans that we have no shot at carrying out. A good coach HAS to know what kind of players he has and what they can realisticly do. Wanny is clueless if he really believed what he said about our passing and running last season.

You don't expect him to say "I hope...." or "I've got my fingers crossed...", do you?

Don't confuse what I'm saying. I never made a claim about DW's talent evaluation skills, I'm saying, I don't care if he's clueless, blind, unrealistic or whatever, He better think we are going to lead the league in every category. He better have confidence in every player on the field, and he better not show any doubts in public. Period.

I would not doubt anything that moron would do. I was just hoping he would fall in his own lobster trap this offseason. It is sad when you hope you team can win despite the coach. Dolfanreal69:sr23: :sr23:

Originally posted by Dol-Fan Dupree
You misunderstand. The year before last, if Miami had a 10-6 record they would be IN the playoffs.

The last game was the only game that was "practice".

You don't choose who you play against.

I can see an arguement that they were the same from 3rd year to 4th year, however I see no actual proof, other then your personal opinion, that they regressed.

Ifs and buts............ "but if" we were 19-0, we would have won the SB too! Either way you want to cut it, we were out of the playoffs sooner this yr than last yr with a "better" record.
What "proof" do you need. Check out the teams we played, their W-L records and you will see, considering that, this yrs schedule was alot easier yet we managed only one more win and out sooner. Matter of fact, it was even mentioned [the very same thing] in the papers awhile back as well.

(edit portion) Maybe this link or even this one may satisfy you some. but particular emphasis on this paragragh:

"The Dolphins have regressed every season under Wannstedt. They won the AFC East in 2000, finished second in 2001 and were eliminated from playoff contention in the final week in 2002 at New England. Now they are out with one week to play."

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by BLITZKRIEG
DeDolfan,

You have a point about Wanny. It's just not concrete evidence IMO. This roster, "today", is as strong as any roster we've had within the last ten years IMO. The talent is there, and the team as a whole is more balanced than ever....

Wanny can only do so much. He's also done enough IMO. I can't find any proof that he's been any less productive than Don Shula in his final years, or Jimmy "Three years" Johnson was while in Miami....

In reality, Jimmy Johnson was the bigger disappointment. He was considered the best HC in the NFL when he came here, and where did he take us???...No further than Dave has....

....And at least Dave never made unrealistic promises to the fans like Jimmy did. He's done what he's been expected to do IMO, nothing more nothing less....

PHINZ RULE!!!:pirate:

Blitz, I totally understand what you're saying, but I am not comparing Wanny to the Shula or JJ yrs. yes, this roster, overall, may be as strong as it has been just that now, it's alot stronger on D than 10 yrs ago. Point is, that Wanny has taken over a talented team, added some on his own as well as losing some, but that happens, but he has not been able to take them anywhere. At best, he's just treading water with them while they are simply withering away, getting older, etc. This team does not play with the heart and desire that a championship team should play with. The HC is the one that helps instill this attitude in the players. The Mr. Nice Guy routine just will not cut it in the NFL. These guys are apparently not afraid to screw up since their does not seem to be any drastic consequences for doing so. personal-wise, Wanny IS a hell of a nice guy but he is just not suited to be a [sucessful] HC. He seems more suited to be the team chaplain more so than their HC. One example, look what he has done with Ricky. He aquired one of the premier RBs in the whole league and has done absolutely nothing with him [on the team]. He made this team so one dimensional that other teams have little problems with us. He put all of his eggs in one basket, so to speak.

Originally posted by Noodle Arm
Remember the last game of the season against the Jets, when Wanny coached like his job depended on it ?(which it did) Remember how he opened up the offense just a little and how well the players responded? Hopefully THAT Wannstedt is the coach we'll be seeing this season.

Back on topic...this style of offense doesn't need an all mighty QB with a cannon arm who can launch it 80 yards while doing backflips. It just needs a smart QB who is accurate with the short passes and the occasional long ball (much like Brady in NE). Fiedler is a smart QB with a lot of heart but his biggest weakness is accuracy. How many times did the ball sail over a wide open Chris Chambers? How many interceptions were caused by Fiedler trying to do too much and squeezing the ball where it shouldn't have been thrown? That's why it's time for a change. Is Feeley the answer? We don't know yet...but he supposedly has all the intangibles Fiedler has, but is more accurate with a better arm. Maybe that's enough...:hmmm:

You talking about the same jets game that we were leading 20-10 at the half? The same game where the D allowed 11 pts in the second half? The same game that Mare' kicked the game winning FG in the 4th qtr? IMO, it was just another day at the office. The only difference was that Fiedler had a better than average day passing. :lol: IMO, Wanny should've coached the whole season like his job depended on it. Not just the last "lame duck" game!! ;)

Originally posted by inFINSible
I don't think it's a matter deluding himself or wanting to trick us, I think he believes what he says. Call it delusional if you want but, I call it confidence. Until circumstances prove that those goals aren't realistic then I want Wannstedt saying exactly what he has been saying.

You don't expect him to say I hope.... or I've got my fingers crossed, do you?

I wanna hear, we WILL do this and we WILL do that....not we might.

Personally, I'd rather for him to DO what he's been "saying". I wouldn't call it confidence cuz he hasn't done anything yet, let alone be confident about it. Three years was plenty enough time to show how "confident" he is. Four was almost ridiculous and now the 5th is the next thing to being "ludicrous" !! :lol:

De, the fact that we were out of the p/os sooner has to do with other teams in the AFC, not how we compared to our division...with that record in the NFC, we would have been in the P/o's.

But, I don't disagree with your thought....we have not gotten better and it does seem as tho we are just treading water..the "killer" instinct is definitely missing...

Ricky has not been wasted, afterall he led the NFL in rushing in 2002, and was in the top ten in 2003, despite having a worse OL last year. That says volumes about Ricky, not DW though.

In DWs defense, he has not had the horses at OL, which limited the QBs effectiveness. Better QBs would have been able to get around that somewhat, but not JF. We have a younger, more athletic OL shaping up, not done yet of course. We have a younger, more athletic QB with greater upside than JF. We have a compliment to CC, RM, and RK in the receiving corps. The defense has been reinforced in the backfield (which was a weakness last year). And we still have the draft and the remaining FA period. We have a better receivers coach and our OC has had tutilege (sp ?) under one of the better OC in the game. Now, IF DW can lead this group of players and coaches, we could go farther than we have the last two years.

I would love to see us in the big game next year, but realize that may be asking too much...what I'd like to see is this team be consistent and beat the teams we should beat. How many times have we played a good team tough, and then lose it in the 4th quarter ?? Or, we win a big game and then come out the next week against a lesser opponent and stink the joint up ?? We just have to wait and see if DW is the man that can do that...he has not so far...

Originally posted by DeDolfan

You talking about the same jets game that we were leading 20-10 at the half? The same game where the D allowed 11 pts in the second half? The same game that Mare' kicked the game winning FG in the 4th qtr? IMO, it was just another day at the office. The only difference was that Fiedler had a better than average day passing. :lol: IMO, Wanny should've coached the whole season like his job depended on it. Not just the last "lame duck" game!! ;)

Yeah notice I didn't mention anything about the D :tongue:

Originally posted by LarryFinFan
Back to the QB spot.....]

There is a lot of us that have seen AJ play. You can downplay the quality of teams he played against, as some people have, but the bottom line is that when the Eagles needed the games, they got the wins with AJ...and they didn't have as good a running game or as good receivers (this coming year) as we have. Not only did he pull out the wins when needed, he got them home field advantage...yes, they had a good defense that helped him...but guess what, so do we....These are the things that lead me to believe that AJ is going to be better than JF....Unfortunately, JF has not been able to come thru when we needed him and just when he seems to get hot, it also seems he gets hurt. The blaring problem we have been faced with for four years is depth at QB. Perhaps this could be answered with JF....That is what we have to bank on, but I see that as the best option we have had in the last 4 years. Maybe, just maybe...this will be the time that things come together for this team....If not, I am afraid that we will be back to square one with a new coaching staff in 2005...

Yes, Feeley did do all those things. Don't forget tho that when he played, he won games typically like the 10-3 win over the Pack, etc. He was not asked to go out and he games, just get a few points, take care of the ball and let the D win it. You know, just holding down the fort til the man comes back. Based on that, I think he'll fit "perfectly" into our system. I'm not knocking Feeley but just taking a realistic view of what we have "measured" his talent level at. In other words, based on his "experience" in the nFL, i am skeptical of his sudden rise from the depths of the 3rd stringers to the ranks of the NFL starters. We'll see come Sept and i surely hope RS is right on this. After all, i'm sure he didn't have any more games at his disposal to see [him play] than any of us. I remember a couple yrs ago when we got Ricky. Everybody was having an orgasm about how much better we were going to be with him. I think that this little bit of history proves one thing. one man alone can't do it. Right now, we have a depleted OL that is no better than last years.

Originally posted by DeDolfan

Personally, I'd rather for him to DO what he's been "saying". I wouldn't call it confidence cuz he hasn't done anything yet, let alone be confident about it. Three years was plenty enough time to show how "confident" he is. Four was almost ridiculous and now the 5th is the next thing to being "ludicrous" !! :lol:
What, are you trying to take on everybody in the thread???:tongue: ;)

You know what I mean DeDolfan.

I'd rather him DO it too, but even if he doesn't get it done, I don't want to hear,

"Oh, golly gee, we just aren't any good....At this point we're just incapable of anything. From the standpoint of winning, he//, I just hope we win at least one game this year.....I mean, from a coaching standpoint,we're weak and from a blocking standpoint, we have big question marks with the o-line. From the QB standpoint, I'm not really sure what's going on there, and from a defensive standpoint, we're getting old fast.. ...Looking at it from the standpoint of the fans, we're going to suck, so I'm glad I don't have to watch with them.....I'll just weather the storm and hope I get fired at the end of the season, from that standpoint, it's all good.......

By the way, don't forget to buy your season tickets!"

:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom