Quarterbacks In The Draft: Who Are The Candidates? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Quarterbacks In The Draft: Who Are The Candidates?

Charlie Rivers

SUPERBOWL BOUND!!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Post a short list of college quarterbacks that you would love to see in aqua and orange. Curious.

There aren't very many in this draft that I really like. Just two - Will Grier from West Virginia and Tyree Jackson from SUNY Buffalo. It's such a shame that Kyler Murray chose baseball because I think he's special...reminds me of Russell Wilson and Baker Mayfield.

I don't like Grier or Jackson. Grier has that Tannehill age situation where he's still playing college football beyond his 23rd birthday. Sucker material. No matter what it looks like, the upside is probably lower. Sam Darnold is two years younger than Will Grier.

Maybe if Grier is available lower it would be okay. Just don't make the Tannehill mistake with a high pick.

Tyree Jackson is one of the most bizarre prospects I have ever seen at any position. His soft lanky frame looks like a reserve forward on a lousy college basketball team. The type who never plays unless it is an extreme blowout in either direction, and the home crowd enjoys his entrance because he's so goofy looking and awkward.

Jackson has the facial expressions of a junior high kid who is asked to see the principal but has no idea why. You could praise him for something or accuse him of something and he wouldn't be able to differentiate.

There is some big play ability there. That's his strength. Wing it. You don't want him trying to make multiple correct decisions and matriculate down the field.

The Ohio State kid Haskins makes the most sense but he also has the most buzz and figures to be gone long before where we are slated to pick.

Also the South Carolina kid Bentley is interesting, if he decides to declare. Very competitive player, unlike Tannehill. Somewhat like Dak Presott in that his stats within SEC play are very good and could indicate that the player is undervalued. Nobody picked apart Clemson's defense like Bentley did.

Herbert from Oregon was not highly recruited. More frail than my tastes. Sort of a finesse player. Something bothers me about how tough he'll be in the NFL. But plenty of tools.

I don't like Daniel Jones from Duke, after seeing him twice in person against the Canes. Not an aware player at all, though he looks the part physically and has risen on some charts. It's true that Cutcliffe offenses seldom feature high yards per attempt but Daniel Jones takes it to a new level. I couldn't imagine picking a quarterback high when he has never managed above 6.6 YPA for a college season and has so many games below 5 YPA and even below 4 YPA. Three of Jones' last 4 games were 4.0 YPA or lower, including a 59-7 home defeat to Wake Forest. Now that is tough to do.

I can't comment on Lock from Missouri because I seldom watch Missouri. I don't like wagering on their games because that team seldom cooperates when I bet with them or against them.

The top guys in the Draft Forum take it to a different level. These are merely my observations while attending some games and wagering on lots of games.

I don't like Grier or Jackson. Grier has that Tannehill age situation where he's still playing college football beyond his 23rd birthday. Sucker material. No matter what it looks like, the upside is probably lower. Sam Darnold is two years younger than Will Grier.

Maybe if Grier is available lower it would be okay. Just don't make the Tannehill mistake with a high pick.

Tyree Jackson is one of the most bizarre prospects I have ever seen at any position. His soft lanky frame looks like a reserve forward on a lousy college basketball team. The type who never plays unless it is an extreme blowout in either direction, and the home crowd enjoys his entrance because he's so goofy looking and awkward.

Jackson has the facial expressions of a junior high kid who is asked to see the principal but has no idea why. You could praise him for something or accuse him of something and he wouldn't be able to differentiate.

There is some big play ability there. That's his strength. Wing it. You don't want him trying to make multiple correct decisions and matriculate down the field.

The Ohio State kid Haskins makes the most sense but he also has the most buzz and figures to be gone long before where we are slated to pick.

Also the South Carolina kid Bentley is interesting, if he decides to declare. Very competitive player, unlike Tannehill. Somewhat like Dak Presott in that his stats within SEC play are very good and could indicate that the player is undervalued. Nobody picked apart Clemson's defense like Bentley did.

Herbert from Oregon was not highly recruited. More frail than my tastes. Sort of a finesse player. Something bothers me about how tough he'll be in the NFL. But plenty of tools.

I don't like Daniel Jones from Duke, after seeing him twice in person against the Canes. Not an aware player at all, though he looks the part physically and has risen on some charts. It's true that Cutcliffe offenses seldom feature high yards per attempt but Daniel Jones takes it to a new level. I couldn't imagine picking a quarterback high when he has never managed above 6.6 YPA for a college season and has so many games below 5 YPA and even below 4 YPA. Three of Jones' last 4 games were 4.0 YPA or lower, including a 59-7 home defeat to Wake Forest. Now that is tough to do.

I can't comment on Lock from Missouri because I seldom watch Missouri. I don't like wagering on their games because that team seldom cooperates when I bet with them or against them.

The top guys in the Draft Forum take it to a different level. These are merely my observations while attending some games and wagering on lots of games.

Nice post! I have to admit that I'm not familiar with Bentley from SC. I'm going to have to watch some tape of him.

I agree with you about not taking Will Grier with our 1st round pick. Ideally, I'd like to get him in the 3rd or 4th round, but with the desperation for starting NFL quarterbacks, I wouldn't be surprised if he's picked in the lower part of the 1st.

I used to like Haskins from Ohio State. He's got the arm and athletic ability I'd love to have leading Miami's offense. What gives me some concern is that he may be too procedural to make multiple reads of complicated defenses. I agree with you that someone will grab him in the 1st round. He may end up being an excellent QB, but there are too many "ifs" for my liking as a high 1st rounder.

Tyree Jackson would definitely be a project, but as you said, he does bring big play potential. Ideally, he would be someone I'd spend a 5th round pick on and red shirt him for all of 2019 while he's coached up by a GOOD QB coach.

I share your dislike of Daniel Jones too. I heard a good deal of hype about him several months ago, so I watched several of his games and I saw nothing in his game that made me think he could be a good NFL starter.

Justin Herbert is another player who had been heavily hyped and I was also disappointed with what I saw of his play. That slow release and marginal arm strength aren't going to translate well in the NFL. And yeah, I agree that he needs to put on about 15 lbs. of muscle if he's going to survive in the NFL.

I have waiched Haskins many times this year since I have a friend whio is a big OSU fan. I like his size and his arm, but his mechanics need a lot of work. He has a bad habit of throwing off his back foot, but I'm not saying it can't be fixed. I just don't think he is NFL ready, but few are. I see potential, but too many times a lot of these .guys that have the physical traits, it seems, can't get down the technical aspects of the game.

Last edited:
there is a lot of talk now of murray actually choosing football now. I would like him but being 5'11 is worrisome. but the kid has it all

It’s Haskins or Lock for me. Grier may be alright, but as mentioned above, he may have reached his max potential already

I live in SC around mostly USC fans. They wanted Bentley's back-up to play pretty much all year. He occasionally throws a decent deep pass that get's people excited, but the play by play is no bueno.

I live in SC around mostly USC fans. They wanted Bentley's back-up to play pretty much all year. He occasionally throws a decent deep pass that get's people excited, but the play by play is no bueno.

I would agree with you. I'm in SC as well (Myrtle Beach). Bentley has a strong arm and decent technique but certainly a project.

Back
Top Bottom