Quinn And Branch Getting Cut? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Quinn And Branch Getting Cut?

Looks like DE is all but certain to be one of our top 2 picks and given this draft class, more than likely its our 1st. Wouldn't be shocked to see a DE and DT taken with our first 2 picks.

Disappointed Jaylon Ferguson isn't going to be working out at the combine.

Also curious about possibly drafting Rashan Gary. I actually googled him to make sure I spelled Rashan correctly and interestingly enough this was the first result...

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2...ve-lineman-rashan-gary-to-the-dolphins-at-13/

I think the dude created his own sports agency, so clearly he will be representing himself. I'm guessing he's attended more than one class in the building bearing Stephen Ross's name. For better or worse, Ross should stay out swaying that decision.

I am always leery of Michigan players as a biased Ohio State fan. I dislike them all inherently. However if you can help the Dolphins, I can let that all slide.

We need to be open to the best possible value at 13.

There’s talk that Gary will run in the 4.5s at 280 plus.

Just about everything I have seen has him gone top 8. That kind of consistency in mocks usually transfers to draft day.

There’s also talk devin white will run in tbe 4.4s at 245 plus lbs. think we are about to see some stiffness in fluidity drills similar to Vontaze Burfict

Not sure I’m buying either on a non biased Indy time

Ferguson’s heavy handed so the staff may like that. Athlete looks kinda meh. In the senior bowl game I thought he was the 4th most interesting edge I saw. Game was better than the practice week.

I think miami might take interest in heavy handed cj Collier. Kinda poor mans Rashan Gary frame wise. Similar type ask better draft asset value in terms of pick cost.

Last edited:
I will also add that I think there’s some buyer beware on this edge class. Wouldn’t surprise me if it ends up a lot like the 17 class once you get past bosa and josh Allen (who can be moved all over the place cause of his movement skills and create mismatches as a result)

A lot of guys that I question how much they will impact the qb on the edge and win on the outside shoulder. At least the hand in the dirt options

There’s talk that Gary will run in the 4.5s at 280 plus.

Just about everything I have seen has him gone top 8. That kind of consistency in mocks usually transfers to draft day.

There’s also talk devin white will run in tbe 4.4s and 245 plus lbs.

Not sure I’m buying either on a non biased Indy time

I'm not usually thinking LB's that high but White has me interested.

13 is a good spot this year. A lot of DL talent obviously.

Can two OL sneak into the to 12?

Who is the real Ed Oliver?

Could we resist taking the top DB in the draft, if none are taken top 12? I don't remember every play, from every game last season. I do however remember our CB2 position was the single most costly spot on our team in 2018.

Would be tough to tank with the best secondary in the NFL.

Unless you get him in the 2nd round, the Jeffrey Simmons injury is a bummer though. Sidney Jones saw himself fall from probably from the 12-14 range to 43. Something similar will happen here. I'd suspect a DB's value would be hurt more by an achilles tear than a DT's by an ACL tear. Packers (30th) and Colts (34th) with those extra picks could be the top landing spots for him. Not holding out too much hope he makes it to 48.

I'm not ready for the draft......but I'm getting there.

At this moment, I'm already declaring we trade down though.

I will also add that I think there’s some buyer beware on this edge class. Wouldn’t surprise me if it ends up a lot like the 17 class once you get past bosa and josh Allen (who can be moved all over the place cause of his movement skills and create mismatches as a result)

A lot of guys that I question how much they will impact the qb on the edge and win on the outside shoulder. At least the hand in the dirt options
I agree - outside of those two guys and maybe Burns, I don't think that elite DE pass rush is there.

I agree - outside of those two guys and maybe Burns, I don't think that elite DE pass rush is there.

You don’t think burns looks like a less long version of Arden key?

I don’t think miami green lights burns for the poa play in this scheme.

They want to play all those 6 and 7 dbs they better get more poa stout in the trenches and on the edge

No surprise here … I agree with Barry Jackson.

Quinn is an obvious cut, Branch is easily replaceable and likely cut as well. We're getting rid of the old guard. I'm expecting our 1st round pick will be a new style DE/OLB hybrid that fits our new multiple front scheme. We're really going to need 2 or 3 of those type guys, but we might only get 1 or 2 in the draft. Remember, this defensive scheme requires a lot of playbook work, practice and film study, so in addition to the physical characteristics like explosive quickness, bend, pass rush moves, size, strength and speed, we're also going to require guys who are good learners and hard workers.

While that seems like an impossible ask, just realize that we can accept a little less than elite in the physical characteristics and get some of these guys outside of round 1. This system requires versatility, but is rather forgiving of guys who don't have the prototypical athletic abilities. Sure, we'd prefer them, but this system can get productive starters from mid-round picks.

That being said, I expect a couple of our mid-round picks to be OL. If the plan is to get a QB in 2020, and I believe it is, then we need to solidify this OL once and for all. This draft has a lot of talent along the OL in the mid and late rounds. Get an edge rusher in round 1, get two prospects for the OL in the mid rounds, pick up a CB when it makes sense … then open the gates for a bunch of UDFA's to nuke this roster and start over.

Naturally with such a large cluster of prospects at one area we are going to see more busts then average as well. no question.

It made sense last year that guys like Minkah, Edmunds and Derwin James were available where they were.

If Ed Oliver is available at 13, I am concerned as to why.

Too many Clemson guys, can't all pan out.

Hopefully Flores' scouting background raises the same kinds of suspicions we have about some players being too good to be true.

I would cut Tannehill, Branch, & Sitton (~$25mil savings) but I would not cut Quinn, Parker, Amendola, or Spence. All four of them are in the final year of their deals & if we're looking to build for the future, by letting the four of them walk after their contracts expire will formulate into compensatory picks in 2021. Granted Amendola & Spence won't bring back anything more than a 7th, but gambling on Quinn & Parker could return something more. We won't need the salary space those guys would bring if we're gunning for a high draft pick & rebuild through the draft. Extra picks would certainly help that.
Don't forget that you can carry over some cap space into the next year ($10M maybe?), and I fully expect us to carry over the max into 2020 if the goal is to tank in 2019.

Olivier Vernon's NY departure could be a good option for Miami. He hasn't collected the sacks they projected but he has still been a good player (when healthy). He may want to come home and I doubt he demands anything close to top dollar this time around. He is only 28 years old and is way better than anyone we will have under contract in 2019. He's also the same size as Trey Flowers except OV typically plays on the weak side and he also is leaving a 3-4 team so he is versatile.

Flowers and Vernon put up very similar numbers so no way would I overpay for Flowers just like I wouldn't have for OV back in 2016.

Teaming Vernon up with a player like Clelin Ferrell on the strong side could be good option but we could also use one of those DT's (Wilkins) , a corner or a RT. A RT only if he grades out higher than the defensive players.

We should never have picked up Parkers 5th year option (hindsight). We could have let him walk and have a comp pick already but it's probably not a huge deal based on the fact it would be a low pick due to his lack of production. I would also not carry Amendola another year at 6M just for a late round pick. Spence can go as well. He was not good last year and just takes up space. Does not justify it for a 7th round comp pick. Invest in a younger player with more upside. Look at those UDFA's and practice squad guys.

Naturally with such a large cluster of prospects at one area we are going to see more busts then average as well. no question.

It made sense last year that guys like Minkah, Edmunds and Derwin James were available where they were.

If Ed Oliver is available at 13, I am concerned as to why.

Too many Clemson guys, can't all pan out.

Hopefully Flores' scouting background raises the same kinds of suspicions we have about some players being too good to be true.

I think most the edge guys are more well rounded overall players than pure edge rush win options. Again being the hand in the dirt ones. And Miami looks like it’s gonna be looking for guys who can kick inside versatility.

At any rate as twitchy and heavy handed and redirect on a dime as Ed Oliver is I think you have to bet on him developing a when engaged plan and hand use off the ball.

Unless he’s just content with what he already has which I guess is a legit possibility.

I also think he can play at least a base inside shoulder of the tackle “edge” in our scheme. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone that gap quick on tbe inside.

Chance you just have to take imo. Vincent Taylor kinda gives you some of that already. Lateral flow etc.

Last edited:
Olivier Vernon's NY departure could be a good option for Miami. He hasn't collected the sacks they projected but he has still been a good player (when healthy). He may want to come home and I doubt he demands anything close to top dollar this time around. He is only 28 years old and is way better than anyone we will have under contract in 2019. He's also the same size as Trey Flowers except OV typically plays on the weak side and he also is leaving a 3-4 team so he is versatile.

Flowers and Vernon put up very similar numbers so no way would I overpay for Flowers just like I wouldn't have for OV back in 2016.

Teaming Vernon up with a player like Clelin Ferrell on the strong side could be good option but we could also use one of those DT's (Wilkins) , a corner or a RT. A RT only if he grades out higher than the defensive players.

We should never have picked up Parkers 5th year option (hindsight). We could have let him walk and have a comp pick already but it's probably not a huge deal based on the fact it would be a low pick due to his lack of production. I would also not carry Amendola another year at 6M just for a late round pick. Spence can go as well. He was not good last year and just takes up space. Does not justify it for a 7th round comp pick. Invest in a younger player with more upside. Look at those UDFA's and practice squad guys.

OV's not getting cut, that would put them in the same boat as us but they ain't trying to lose like we supposedly are lol.

Last edited:
… There’s also talk devin white will run in tbe 4.4s at 245 plus lbs. think we are about to see some stiffness in fluidity drills similar to Vontaze Burfict

Not sure I’m buying either on a non biased Indy time …
Every year there is some phenomenal LB that puts a twinkle in everyone's eye. We aren't particularly in the market for LB's and I'm usually comfortable passing on those elite LB prospects, but IMHO, Devin White is special. This guy looks like the best LB prospect I've seen in a long time, and while it would go against the plan for the rebuild, I would be ecstatic to draft Devin White at #13 overall. This guy has the potential to be the best player in the entire draft when it's all said and done. I don't care what he runs in Indy, the film shows he runs like a gazelle with explosive burst, excellent change of direction, vision, instincts, purpose, and production.

Our new multiple front defense is going to emphasize preparation and versatility. I'm not exactly sure where White even fits in with that. But when you get a chance to draft a phenomenal football player who is also great athlete … it's just too hard to pass up. Devin White is going to be a star in this league.

OV's not getting cut, that would put them in the same boat as us but they ain't trying to lose like we supposedly are lol.

You could be right but unless you know something 30 other publications do not.... It has been all over the place in the last few months. He makes 19.5M this year as well as 2020 with an 8M dead hit this year if released. That's 11.5 savings. If Gettlemen continues to be stubborn and rolls with Eli, they could end up with a top defensive player for pennies on the dollar. Getttlemen did not make the OV deal so it's not "his" guy.

It's very likely one, if not two teams trade into the top 5 for a QB. That pushes one of the top D players down to 6 for NY.

They need about 6 or 7 new starters and also need to resign Landon Collins. They could use the cap space. JMO

I think odds are good ov gets released

I’m not sure I like the fit for us though schematically

Flowers has more thump at the poa way I see it

You could be right but unless you know something 30 other publications do not.... It has been all over the place in the last few months. He makes 19.5M this year as well as 2020 with an 8M dead hit this year if released. That's 11.5 savings. If Gettlemen continues to be stubborn and rolls with Eli, they could end up with a top defensive player for pennies on the dollar. Getttlemen did not make the OV deal so it's not "his" guy.

It's very likely one, if not two teams trade into the top 5 for a QB. That pushes one of the top D players down to 6 for NY.

They need about 6 or 7 new starters and also need to resign Landon Collins. They could use the cap space. JMO

He could get cut, but I doubt it. I agree with these two conclusions, they could use him in 2019, as could we (too late).

BTW F*** Bryce Harper!

https://empiresportsmedia.com/new-y...w-york-giants-cut-olb-olivier-vernon-in-2019/

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...livier-vernon-among-potential-giants-cap-cuts

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom