Rafael Palmeiro finally does it | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rafael Palmeiro finally does it

GreenMonster said:
In Palmeiro's 19 season's he has 4 All-Star appearences.. His highest MVP finish is 5th. He never lead the league in HR, AVG, or RBI.. He has 3 gold gloves.. (Dawson 1 MVP, 8 Gold Gloves, Murphy 2 MVP's, 7-time All-Star_)

I think the guy was a great hitter.. But I reserve the HOF for the greatest players in baseball.. Was Palmeiro ever one of the most dominate players of the last 19 years... No...

The All star appearences arent that big of a deal. This is fan voting and they were voting guys like Mo Vaughn in over Rafael..Also 1st base is probaly the hardest position to make it in at. You can hold people out of the hall of fame because of allstar appearences.
Palmerio is without question a 1st ballot HOF, theres not even a discussion in this. He was consistantly great, not just consistantly good or just had a long career, he was great for well over a decade. He had some unparalled record of like 9 or 10 35 homerun seasons in a row, thats consistant greatness. I havent seen too many players that can hit for the average and power, just sheer production that Palmerio has. He is a really good fielder also.
Really, if Canseco hadnt heldon for a few years too many and had kept his mouth shut he probaly would have made it. He was probaly the best player in baseball for a good 3-4 year stretch and really put up some big numbers for a good long time. He shot himself in the foot by getting in offield trouble and alienating everyone from teamates to managers to media to fans. Hes just too unpopular. McGriff might make it you never know, I think he was one of the best power hitters of his generation and he was hitting them before everyone and their sister was getting 40+. I would vote for him but I dont think he's assured of a place in the Hall. Dawson should get in also but again I dont think its assured.

GreenMonster said:
In Palmeiro's 19 season's he has 4 All-Star appearences.. His highest MVP finish is 5th. He never lead the league in HR, AVG, or RBI.. He has 3 gold gloves.. (Dawson 1 MVP, 8 Gold Gloves, Murphy 2 MVP's, 7-time All-Star_)

I think the guy was a great hitter.. But I reserve the HOF for the greatest players in baseball.. Was Palmeiro ever one of the most dominate players of the last 19 years... No...

So he didn't do well in things that fans and writers voted for? That makes him unworthy of the HOF?

because there was an article in there that gave the exact stats you did and the article was why Andre Dawson is as worthy as Palmeiro. Your stats were so similar I thought you read the article!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
because there was an article in there that gave the exact stats you did and the article was why Andre Dawson is as worthy as Palmeiro. Your stats were so similar I thought you read the article!

Dawson won't get in because he couldn't stay healthy like Palmeiro.. In there primes pitchers feared Dawson in a different way then Palmeiro.. Others like Mo Vaughn, Jeff Bagwell and Don Mattingly who were much better players won't get in because they couldn't stay healthy for 19 years. Being in the lineup everyday is a major plus to a team. My real agruement is when does the 500 and your in agruement end. Players in the next 10 years are gonna approach 500 left and right, and I don't know if I consider all of these "great" players like Mays, Mantle, Williams, Aaron, Bonds, Jackson........................Palmeiro, Sheffield, Thome, Delgado..

Bagwell will get in eventually. He stayed healthy long enough. Mo Vaugh ate his way out of the game, he got hurt but he was so out of shape and lazy late in his career, thats his fault. Sheffield has put up many MVP type seasons, he is a guy that will probaly get in also. Palmerio at his best stacks right up with these guys hit for hit and hr for hr, he was as good as these guys.
Palmerio is an alltime great hitter, why youre acting like he doesnt belong in that group makes me scratch my head. Watching alltime greats on Tv marvel at his swing and talk about how he's a nobrainer for hall induction says enough to me. Why you and Skip bayless think he's below that is silly. 500 hrs isnt the magic number anymore but anyone with 3000hits and 500 hrs is pretty much a lock. Thats just too good to not let someone in.

Back
Top Bottom