Randy Mueller's opinions of AJ | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Randy Mueller's opinions of AJ

Agua said:
Well, the best evidence we have to go on as to what he thinks is what he said. If you have a better indicator, by all means, fill us in.

Yeah kinda like Saban saying we were taking Edwards in the draft. :shakeno:

TARHEEL38 said:
One person lies, in one situation so, that must automatically mean, that every person lies, in all situations.

Brilliant deduction.

Jesus. The man asks if any one has heard Mueller's opinion on Feeley. There happens to be a quote where Mueller states that he considered drafting him and had believed he was a starting calibre QB.

Since, that's not the answer you wanted to hear, he must be lying. :shakeno:

inFINSible said:
Teams draft QBs to be back-ups??

I was under the impression that if a team used a pick on a QB that there was at least some hope or possibility that he could be developed into a starter. Seems kind of silly to waste a pick on a player you know will never be anything but, a back-up.

Teams sign QBs in FA to be back-ups but, I don't think they draft QBs hoping to one day have a good back-up.

Yep, they sure do. Like when we drafted Scott Mitchell. It sure as hell wasn't to take Marino's starting position.

inFINSible said:
I agree that at the very least they would like to get a decent back-up out of the deal but, I don't believe that any QB is drafted thinking that they'll never be more than a back-up.

There have been plenty of QBs drafted that I KNOW were never considered to be starting QB material at any time in their careers. TO name a few: Ty Detmer, Tim Hasselbeck, AJ Feeley, Ken Dorsey, Damon Huard,KOY Detmer, Danny Kanell.
THere are PLENTY.

SCall13 said:
Yep, they sure do. Like when we drafted Scott Mitchell. It sure as hell wasn't to take Marino's starting position.
...and would Scott Mitchell have been expected to be a quality starter if Marino had gotten hurt? Scott Mitchell wasn't drafted thinking he'd never be anything more than a back-up in this league. It was always assumed that Scott Mitchell had the talent to develop into a starting QB, we were just lucky to have a situation where, in a sense, we didn't need him to do that.
Of course as it turns out we did, literally need him to do just that, and he promptly turned that audition into starting position, albeit in Detroit.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
I have to disagree. Having a good back up quarterback is essential in the NFL. I think many teams do draft in hoping that at the very least he will be a good back up.

There might be a think hope he could turn out to be more than a back up.

It is like drafting a player to be a punt returner or a special teams guy.

Your wrong. Yes teams need to have a good backup, but there are always good backups in FA. Young developmental guys dont usually make great backup immediately, and teams that are drafting qbs for backups are doing so because they need a backup now. Teams draft qbs that they think with seasoning could potentially be a good starter down the line. You said it best, teams draft a qb that at a minimum or in your words "the very least" be a good backup. Think of that statement? It says in your own words, that they hope he turns into a starter, but at a minimum he will be a great backup. So the intent in the draft is to get a developmental guy that can learn and develop into a sloid starter.

SCall13 said:
There have been plenty of QBs drafted that I KNOW were never considered to be starting QB material at any time in their careers. TO name a few: Ty Detmer, Tim Hasselbeck, AJ Feeley, Ken Dorsey, Damon Huard,KOY Detmer, Danny Kanell.
THere are PLENTY.
I don't think you understand the concept of drafting a QB. Even a seventh round QB is drafted in the hopes that any or all of his apparent flaws can be corrected and he can be developed into a quality starter. Ken Dorsey wasn't drafted so he can hang around the league and be mediocre, he was drafted because there was an outside chance that he could be one of those 1 in 100 7th rounders that turns into a starter. Everyone of those QBs you mentioned were drafted because they were good to great college QBs and they had a chance to be starting QBs in the NFL. The percentages of those chances can be debated until the cows come home, but, none of them were 0%.

AJ Feeley is right now being considered as a starting QB....and by Nick Saban no less. :)

TARHEEL38 said:

And what did Saban say after the draft and that all draft experts said was true? That is was a ploy. Mueller said it AFTER the trade and AFTER the 2001 draft, so who was he trying to fake out? He was in teh media, who cares, who bases their plans on ESPn AFTER the events have occurred? Logical thinking, use it.

SCall13 said:
THere are PLENTY.
I believe that every one of the QBs you named (including Scott Mitchell) were drafted with the idea that they could develop into starting caliber players. The fact that they didn't (with exception of Mitchell and maybe Feeley) isn't an indicator that that wasn't the original hope. No team can tell what their QB situation will be 2 years into the future. Certainly Shula couldn't have known that Marino's career would outlast Mitchell's. A guy gets injured or leaves through FA or just retires. You don't know.

rickeyrunsover said:
Your wrong. Yes teams need to have a good backup, but there are always good backups in FA. Young developmental guys dont usually make great backup immediately, and teams that are drafting qbs for backups are doing so because they need a backup now. Teams draft qbs that they think with seasoning could potentially be a good starter down the line. You said it best, teams draft a qb that at a minimum or in your words "the very least" be a good backup. Think of that statement? It says in your own words, that they hope he turns into a starter, but at a minimum he will be a great backup. So the intent in the draft is to get a developmental guy that can learn and develop into a sloid starter.

I have seen it happen. Heck it happened last year when the Patriots picked a back up quarterback.

yes they probably have hopes and dreams that somehow this guy is going to turn out to be amazing and be able to trade him, however he was drafted with being a back up in mind.

Teams draft every player with hope that he will turn into a starter. It doesn't mean they are not realistic and draft players for depth purposes.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
Teams draft every player with hope that he will turn into a starter.

That's the point we are trying to make.

SCall13 said:
I think you forget about the trade factor, if you can draft a guy late, and trade him for an early round, then yeah, that was good value. Plus why would you draft a guy who wasn't any good? what if you Good QB goes down, is out for the rest of the year, and you are stuck with bozo the clown? :rolleyes:

Nobody drafts a QB thinking he's going to look great sitting on the bench. They draft a QB thinking that one day, if he has to start, he'll have the ability to do the job.

Ed (Bills) said:
I don't know about the AJ trade, but I remember Mueller critisizing the dolphins on the radio after the Ogunleye/Booker trade. He felt like the Bears got the much better end of the deal.

In retrospect he was wrong. Ogun is a good player, but he isn't a premier DE. He benefitted from JT getting double teamed. Sort of like Mike Pitts when he played opposite Reggie White for the Eagles.
I think Chicago overpaid him. Booker is solid and Lamar Gordon provides good depth

Back
Top Bottom