Randy Mueller's opinions of AJ | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Randy Mueller's opinions of AJ

inFINSible said:
What does that QB become when "John Doe" goes down?? A starter. So, that QB was drafted so that one day, if he had to be one, he might have the talent to be a starter.

Of course the coaches would want him to step in. But he;d step right back out once "John Doe" was back.

SCall13 said:
Of course the coaches would want him to step in. But he;d step right back out once "John Doe" was back.
Tom Brady.

inFINSible said:
Tom Brady.

I knew Tom Brady would be thrown out. He is an exception. There are excpetions to everything. But 95% of the time that a QB is drafted late -say 4th round oir later - he is a career clipboard holder. Which is fine. They get paid alot of money to hold that Clipboard.

SCall13 said:
I knew Tom Brady would be thrown out. He is an exception. There are excpetions to everything. But 95% of the time that a QB is drafted late -say 4th round oir later - he is a career clipboard holder. Which is fine. They get paid alot of money to hold that Clipboard.
:lol: Like I said, I'll be happy to rest my case.

SCall13 said:
I said he had one good season. He was NOT consistently good. The point of this is that QBs are drafted TO BE BACKUPS. Mitchell was drafted to play back up and lukced out and got a shot. He pplayed well for a season, then dropped back to his back up ways.
No QB ever lucks out, some are put into situations where they succeed, and others are put into ones where they fail. Name one QB in detroit who has done more in the last 30 years than Mitchell.

inFINSible said:
:lol: Like I said, I'll be happy to rest my case.

You can rest your case, but you;d be resting too early. He is a small percentage of QBs who are drafted late that have success. Would you be willing to chance the success of YOUR franchise on a QB you drafted somewhere between the 5th and 7th rounds? Be realisitic. How many are successful in the NFL? How many have successful, standout careers. YOu seldom here from them because they are playing behind a guy who will remain a starter for a long time barring injury. The only time you see a team take a QB high is when they KNOW it;s about time to change the guard, so to speak. SOmething like how it was with Green Bay taking Aaron Rogers.

inFINSible said:
The last thing I want to do is contribute to the recent over zealous attacks of bills fans on this board so please take this, in the kindest most un-antogonistic way possible when I say, what does that have to do with the topic of the thread?

The reason I ask is because it seems so out of place and irrelevant to the discussion.

Again, I'm just curious, I certainly don't think that you intentionally tried to antogonize or talk smack or even hijack the thread, I'm just not exactly certain what your point is. :confused:
I wasn't trying to smack at all. The original poster wanted to know what Muellers opinion of the Feeley trade was. I didn't know, but I remembered him talking about the Ogunleye trade last year that involved the fins and thought some people might find it interesting since he's your new GM. So no, my post wasn't exactly on topic, but I thought it was kind of related.

SCall13 said:
WHy did you bring Feeley into this? The argument that I am in the midst of is "Do teams draft QBs to be backups?" And I say yes, ALL the time. Feeley was an example of a QB who was drafted to play back up. There was almost no way anyone would have ever thought he;d be a starter ANYWHERE. The Eagles sure as hell didn't think so. THat's why they are still laughing at us for giving them basically a low 1st rounder for him.
AS for potential - sure they look for potential but they also look at how much potential and then determine that the guy will more than likely never be anything more than a backup. SAme as Running Back - teams draft running backs for depth. Travis Minor wasn't drafted with any intentions of him ever being "the guy"

You guys making That argument is ridiculous. No need for further discussion.

SCall13 said:

Well that doesnt prove squat. Of course there are not a ton of qbs drafted late that become great, that is why they say it is a risk, because the chance of success is less certain. But that is also why it doesnt hurt, because you gave a low rd pick and can cut him no harm no foul if he doesnt actually have value or cannot play.

I am sorry but you have ZERO facts that will prove teams will draft a player in the HOPES he never has to play ever. If you see a guy that you would absolutely hate to have to start, you dont draft him.

rickeyrunsover said:
Well that doesnt prove squat. Of course there are not a ton of qbs drafted late that become great, that is why they say it is a risk, because the chance of success is less certain. But that is also why it doesnt hurt, because you gave a low rd pick and can cut him no harm no foul if he doesnt actually have value or cannot play.

I am sorry but you have ZERO facts that will prove teams will draft a player in the HOPES he never has to play ever. If you see a guy that you would absolutely hate to have to start, you dont draft him.

Exactly, the chanced of them having success is less than certain...WAY less. That is why they are drafted to be backups. Someone who may be able to manage an offense, or be a caretaker for it if the and while the started goes down.

SCall13 said:
Exactly, the chanced of them having success is less than certain...WAY less. That is why they are drafted to be backups. Someone who may be able to manage an offense, or be a caretaker for it if the and while the started goes down.
No QB is ever drafted thinking that they will NEVER be more than a back-up. You can kick and scream and cry until mother earth decides to call it quits, and you'll never convince me or anyone with half a brain, that any QB is drafted knowing that he won't EVER have the ability to be a starter. It does not happen and a team would be S.T.U.P.I.D if they drafted a QB using that mindset.

inFINSible said:
No QB is ever drafted thinking that they will NEVER be more than a back-up. You can kick and scream and cry until mother earth decides to call it quits, and you'll never convince me or anyone with half a brain, that any QB is drafted knowing that he won't EVER have the ability to be a starter. It does not happen and a team would be S.T.U.P.I.D if they drafted a QB using that mindset.

Well, you should check to see if you only have half a brain. I never said the QB thinks he'll never be more than a backup. I said he is drafted by the team (GM, coach) to be a back up. Of course, in any QBs mind he wants to be a starter. But what he wants isn't the same as what the team wants. To suggest every QB drafted is intended by the team to be a starter is the craziest thing I have ever heard. If you look at how many QBs are drafted, even QBs who didn't have HUGE college success, it's easy to see that they are drafted for depth and to groom to be BACKUPS. There must be a lot of S.T.U.P.I.D. teams out there. Because it happens every year. There were several QBs drafted in this draft that teams knew probably would never be a starter, but drafted them to be backups and 3rd stringers. Going by your way of thinking, QBs would absolutely NEVER be cut from a team because they were absolutely drafted to be that teams starter. That makes no sense at all.

SCall13 said:
Well, you should check to see if you only have half a brain. I never said the QB thinks he'll never be more than a backup. I said he is drafted by the team (GM, coach) to be a back up. Of course, in any QBs mind he wants to be a starter. But what he wants isn't the same as what the team wants. To suggest every QB drafted is intended by the team to be a starter is the craziest thing I have ever heard.
It is hoped that EVERY QB drafted can some day be a starter. He//, take it one step further, it is hoped that EVERY QB DRAFTED will be a SUPERSTAR.
If you look at how many QBs are drafted, even QBs who didn't have HUGE college success, it's easy to see that they are drafted for depth and to groom to be BACKUPS.
They are being groomed in hopes that they can be starters not back-ups. The team may USE THEM AS back-ups but, the entire point of having a good back-up is so that you don't lose anything if the actual 1st string player goes down. In which case the 2nd string player would be the starter, which is what he was being GROOMED FOR.
There must be a lot of S.T.U.P.I.D. teams out there. Because it happens every year. There were several QBs drafted in this draft that teams knew probably......
Yes, probably, NO, not definately. I've been trying to get you to understand that from my very first post
......would never be a starter, but drafted them to be backups and 3rd stringers.
Nope, drafted them hoping for the best possible return on the investment. Somewhere somebody saw something and thought, they just might be something special.
Going by your way of thinking, QBs would absolutely NEVER be cut from a team because they were absolutely drafted to be that teams starter. That makes no sense at all.
Not what I said ...EVER....those are your words, not mine.

That's all pal, if you have anything else to say, just read one of my previous posts for the rebuttal.

Ed (Bills) said:
I wasn't trying to smack at all. The original poster wanted to know what Muellers opinion of the Feeley trade was. I didn't know, but I remembered him talking about the Ogunleye trade last year that involved the fins and thought some people might find it interesting since he's your new GM. So no, my post wasn't exactly on topic, but I thought it was kind of related.
Sorry Ed, I got a little side tracked...:lol:

Leave it to you bills' fans to bring the good news to us... ;)

inFINSible said:
It is hoped that EVERY QB drafted can some day be a starter. He//, take it one step further, it is hoped that EVERY QB DRAFTED will be a SUPERSTAR. They are being groomed in hopes that they can be starters not back-ups. The team may USE THEM AS back-ups but, the entire point of having a good back-up is so that you don't lose anything if the actual 1st string player goes down. In which case the 2nd string player would be the starter, which is what he was being GROOMED FOR. Yes, probably, NO, not definately. I've been trying to get you to understand that from my very first post Nope, drafted them hoping for the best possible return on the investment. Somewhere somebody saw something and thought, they just might be something special.
Not what I said ...EVER....those are your words, not mine.

That's all pal, if you have anything else to say, just read one of my previous posts for the rebuttal.

I have read every one of your posts and they make no sense. You're just repeating yourself. Your argument is weak at best. Sure, absolutely, I am SURE every GM/ coach hope like hell every pick in every draft will end up being al lpros. But they know that is not realistic. They also know that it is not realistic to believe that they will draft a starting QB every time they draft one. When a team has, say, a Peyton Manning nad they draft Joe QB in the 4th round, so you seriously think that they drafted Joe QB to be their starter? Come on! They drafted him to back up Peyton Mannning in case Manning gets hurt. Now if Manning were 35 years old and the drafted Joe QB in the 1st or maybe even 2nd round, I could b said that they were drafting Joe QB to be their starter.
BUT, just like ANY position, QBs are drafted to be backups, to provide depth and be an insurance policy in case of injury. If you think that is not the case then you need to look at draft history, team depth charts and even read some scouting reports on some of the QBs taken.
That is all. If you want to know a realistic point of view, then read all of my other posts on this subject.

Back
Top Bottom