Rank Tannehill Among Young QB's? | Page 43 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rank Tannehill Among Young QB's?

Chad Henne, John Beck, On and On. I defended, I wanted it to work. Let's get real man. If Tannehill does not break out this year. Philbin will be gone next year, and Ryan won't be far behind. For me it is the Jets game at home with the Playoffs on the line. What was that? 7 points.

And this...

I can't forgive...

"Consider that in the second quarter, Jets quarterback Geno Smith rushed up the middle on a keeper inside the red zone and ran through Dolphins middle linebacker Dannell Ellerbe's tackle attempt at the goal. The QB ran through the MLB's tackle.

The flip side of that came when trailing 14-7 in the third quarter, Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill faced a third-and-21 situation. He escaped the pocket and ran through the vacated middle of the New York defense for 20 yards. He went into a baseball slide one yard short of the first down. On third down he went into a slide a yard short!

One quarterback ran over a Dolphins tackler. One quarterback avoided a hit and fell short of a meaningful first down."

5 years removed from the playoffs and our starting QB slides a yard short. It is what it is. Beat New England Opening day, make me believe. No more excuses Dude. Excuses our for losers who come up a yard short and blame the O Line for everything...

It's good then that he didn't blame anyone, not his putrid ol, not his offensive coach, not his diva and lazy wr...he didn't say a single word about that

He didn't use any excuse, so... He must be a winner, then?

And about losers.... It s a funny game, you came up with some subjective criteria (like sliding one yard short) and decide that if you don't fit this imaginative standard you r a loser

For example, whining on a forum about NFL players, because you were wrong before is for losers )

(just for clarity, I don't think you are a loser, it is just to demonstrate how is quite subjective , so quite useless

Chad Henne, John Beck, On and On. I defended, I wanted it to work. Let's get real man. If Tannehill does not break out this year. Philbin will be gone next year, and Ryan won't be far behind. For me it is the Jets game at home with the Playoffs on the line. What was that? 7 points.

And this...

I can't forgive...

"Consider that in the second quarter, Jets quarterback Geno Smith rushed up the middle on a keeper inside the red zone and ran through Dolphins middle linebacker Dannell Ellerbe's tackle attempt at the goal. The QB ran through the MLB's tackle.

The flip side of that came when trailing 14-7 in the third quarter, Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill faced a third-and-21 situation. He escaped the pocket and ran through the vacated middle of the New York defense for 20 yards. He went into a baseball slide one yard short of the first down. On third down he went into a slide a yard short!

One quarterback ran over a Dolphins tackler. One quarterback avoided a hit and fell short of a meaningful first down."

5 years removed from the playoffs and our starting QB slides a yard short. It is what it is. Beat New England Opening day, make me believe. No more excuses Dude. Excuses our for losers who come up a yard short and blame the O Line for everything...

You've got issues. If that sums up the season for you, you've got serious issues.

I wonder how many of those who doubt Tannehill realize that he is on target to start the 4th year of his rookie contract in 2015. :lol:

You've got issues. If that sums up the season for you, you've got serious issues.

Dude. I definitely got issues, but so did last season. If you can't get it done at Home against the Jets for the Playoffs, maybe you can't get it done? Will see. Love your optimism about Tannehill but we have been down this road before. Don't get me wrong man. I see more upside with Ryan then I did with Henne. And actually yes that play and game did sum up the season, that was our last game, and we lost, at home, to the Jets, and that play was a stand out for me and my whisky issues...

For me the argument comes down to this:

1. Can the situation surrounding the QB have a significant impact (positive or negative) on the QB's performance (especially as measured by QBR and/or wins)?
2. Was Wilson's situation significantly better than Tannehill's (running game, defense, coaching, pass protection, scheme, etc)?
3. Are (1) and (2) enough to put Tannehill in the conversation with the other young QBs in the league (Wilson, Luck, RGIII, Foles)?

That is all. I don't care if someone ranks Wilson above Tannehill. Early in this thread there were many posts that did just that. I didn't respond to a single one. I did respond to the posts that tried to deny (1), (2), or (3). I also responded to the posts that denied them for Tannehill, then freely applied them to other QBs (Luck, Newton) and to the claims criticizing Wilson and supporting Tannehill is simple homerism.

IMO

1. Yes. Seattle had a Top 5 run game and #1 defense. If a QB can't succeed with those then he stinks bad.
2. Same as 2
3. Tannehill isn't in the same category as Wilson b/c statistically Wilson has done a lot better even though he has a better team around him. Wilson still needs to make plays and he does.

IMO

1. Yes. Seattle had a Top 5 run game and #1 defense. If a QB can't succeed with those then he stinks bad.
2. Same as 2
3. Tannehill isn't in the same category as Wilson b/c statistically Wilson has done a lot better even though he has a better team around him. Wilson still needs to make plays and he does.

Fair enough.

For me, supporting cast can easily mean a 20 point swing in QB rating. Whether it will for Tannehill is TBD.

And this...

I can't forgive...

way too many people overplay that slide lol if he took a lick and sat out the rest of the game he would've been getting flamed for not sliding and preserving his body like a smart qb. he made a judgement call....too bad we couldn't convert a 4th and 1 afterwards, was that his fault too?

Listening to the podcast where Barnwell and Mays discuss the NFL trade value list starting at about the 55 minute mark they discuss Wilson vs Luck and Rodgers 'I feel like there is a conversation happening now where Russell Wilson is kind of being denigrated a bit, in a way that he should not be denigrated. That he is a game manager, he's not, he's not Tom Brady in 2001, he's just not that player. So much of what Seattle did last year on offense was Marshawn Lynch running the ball and Russell Wilson making plays happen. This isn't Colt McCoy making plays happen, this isn't Tim Tebow making plays happen, this is Russell Wilson, as a skill, not just blind luck, at the NFL level making guys miss and completing passes.'

Wilson was ranked number one on his NFL trade value list btw, with Luck two and Rodgers three.

way too many people overplay that slide lol if he took a lick and sat out the rest of the game he would've been getting flamed for not sliding and preserving his body like a smart qb. he made a judgement call....too bad we couldn't convert a 4th and 1 afterwards, was that his fault too?

Some people are just completely devoid of context. QB's responsible for all the losses, team's responsible for the wins.

I like Chip Kelly's line "TD, first down, get down." Getting the first down should always be a priority, especially when the game is in hand, especially when you are losing, especially week 17, and especially when the playoffs are on the line. Sliding feet first a yard short of the line to gain is ****ing HIDEOUS. There is no way to rationalize the hideousness of that game management mistake.

I like Chip Kelly's line "TD, first down, get down." Getting the first down should always be a priority, especially when the game is in hand, especially when you are losing, especially week 17, and especially when the playoffs are on the line. Sliding feet first a yard short of the line to gain is ****ing HIDEOUS. There is no way to rationalize the hideousness of that game management mistake.

"The mantra is touchdown, first down, get down," Kelly said. "I don't want them taking hits. I don't want them running people over. I also don't want them to hook slide when there's 7, 8 more yards that they can gain. It's just trying to get a feel for how far they can go.

Tannehill got 20 back on a 3rd and 21. Charles Clay and the OL should be embarrassed that they couldn't get the last yard.

Fair enough.

For me, supporting cast can easily mean a 20 point swing in QB rating. Whether it will for Tannehill is TBD.

Of course it does. We always talk about "What if Marino had a quality running game to compliment him as a passer". Some attribute Miami's lack of a running attack when Marino played as to why he never won a SB. Every HOF player still had to have a good supporting cast to help the team win.

Listening to the podcast where Barnwell and Mays discuss the NFL trade value list starting at about the 55 minute mark they discuss Wilson vs Luck and Rodgers 'I feel like there is a conversation happening now where Russell Wilson is kind of being denigrated a bit, in a way that he should not be denigrated. That he is a game manager, he's not, he's not Tom Brady in 2001, he's just not that player. So much of what Seattle did last year on offense was Marshawn Lynch running the ball and Russell Wilson making plays happen. This isn't Colt McCoy making plays happen, this isn't Tim Tebow making plays happen, this is Russell Wilson, as a skill, not just blind luck, at the NFL level making guys miss and completing passes.'

Wilson was ranked number one on his NFL trade value list btw, with Luck two and Rodgers three.

Seattle, was the league’s most efficient club off the field, as driven by Russell Wilson, owner of the league’s best contract. By delivering above-average quarterback play for less than $700,000, Wilson allowed the Seahawks to spend millions of dollars on the luxury of depth elsewhere. The players Seattle signed with that money — notably defensive linemen Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett — were key contributors in its run to a Super Bowl trophy.

http://grantland.com/features/2014-nfl-trade-value-part-1-50-assets/

Above average quarterback play.............

"The mantra is touchdown, first down, get down," Kelly said. "I don't want them taking hits. I don't want them running people over. I also don't want them to hook slide when there's 7, 8 more yards that they can gain. It's just trying to get a feel for how far they can go.

Tannehill got 20 back on a 3rd and 21. Charles Clay and the OL should be embarrassed that they couldn't get the last yard.

You think Chip Kelly would be happy Tannehill didn't try to get the extra yard in that situation? Or are you misinterpreting the quote?

Back
Top Bottom