Ranking Nfl’s Top 15 Offensive Lines Heading Into 2018 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ranking Nfl’s Top 15 Offensive Lines Heading Into 2018

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Jarvis+Landry+Miami+Dolphins+v+Buffalo+Bills+yuviPOtHT7ol.jpg

10. Miami Dolphins

It’s quite stunning to realize that Jay Cutler was sacked a total of 20 times in 14 games as the Dolphins’ starter last season. That’s a testament to an offensive line led by former first-round pick Laremy Tunsil. But in no way does it end with Tunsil. Ja’Wuan James has been more than an solid starter at right tackle. And while Miami did release Pro Bowl center Mike Pouncey, it did add guard Josh Sitton and center Daniel Kilgore during the offseason.

With Ryan Tannehill now under center and Frank Gore set to take on the starting running back duties in South Beach, we fully expect this offensive line to perform even better this coming season.

https://sportsnaut.com/2018/06/ranking-nfls-top-15-offensive-lines-heading-into-2018/

With Ryan Tannehill now under center and Frank Gore set to take on the starting running back duties in South Beach, we fully expect this offensive line to perform even better this coming season.

If this part is true there's your 10-11 wins right there. Assuming they can stay healthy.

I'm gonna go ahead and agree with this article.

Due to sentimental reasons. It took me back to Lindy's and Athlon preseason magazine schlock.

Why do I feel the urge to listen to Crash Test Dummies...

This is why I hate stats.

They look at 20 sacks with Cutler, look at the 40 or more with Tannehill, and automatically assume the line play improved. It wasn’t very good plus teams knew they could play more coverage against a QB that couldn’t Hit the broadside of a barn

We saw a QB who could maneuver and buy time but often gave up on plays to avoid the sack. It is very misleading.

Ryan Tannehill is going to get sacked at a higher clip than Cutler . . . He will also make many more plays in the passing game and as a runner if fully recovered from the ACL.

Why does everyone say Gore is going to be the starting RB.

I hate “fan” blogs that don’t even bother to do any research of the subject they’re writing about.
Especially after how well Drake played last year. Just shows that a lot of people don't really know the team very well.

They look at 20 sacks with Cutler, look at the 40 or more with Tannehill, and automatically assume the line play improved. It wasn’t very good plus teams knew they could play more coverage against a QB that couldn’t Hit the broadside of a barn

We saw a QB who could maneuver and buy time but often gave up on plays to avoid the sack. It is very misleading.

Ryan Tannehill is going to get sacked at a higher clip than Cutler . . . He will also make many more plays in the passing game and as a runner if fully recovered from the ACL.

Good point. Plus, as fans we know that Tunsil really didn't play that well. He's somewhat of a question.

Guys, Drake will most likely be the starter but make no mistake. Gore will get as many snaps as Drake just as long as they're both healthy. We have two very good RB's so why not use both. This is not Drake against Gore. They both play for the Dolphins and I will support both.

Another point on Cutler. He did a nice job of feeling the pressure and stepping up. In that regard, he's further along than Tannehill, who I think made strides in that area at the end of 2016. You could see him moving more in the pocket anyway.

I can definitely see why Cutler was a high draft pick. You have those games against New England and Oakland where he is absolutely on target on every throw and you think "why can't he do that all the time?" Unfortunately, there are game as you noted where he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. Honestly, just one of the oddest quarterback production I have ever seen. You see a superstar for 3-4 games and a not very good quarterback in most other games. Why was he never able to put it all together?

Back to the main point, I do think Miami has a chance to be a top 10 unit. A lot IMO hinges on Tunsil. He's a guy who the team really needs to take that next step.

I'm on record saying if Miami has a top 10 oline than Miami has a top 10 qb. No way I see the o-line being ranked higher than the qb. So if this line produces so will Tannehill. He's always played well when given decent protection.

I expect the Gore experiment to work about as well as the Adrian Foster experiment.

I expect the Gore experiment to work about as well as the Adrian Foster experiment.

The difference being Foster had health issues prior to joining Miami and they continued in a Dolphins uniform. Gore has been relatively healthy. I don't think he's the player he once was, but he can contribute. I would love to see him get minor spot duty in the first three quarters and then used more to help close out close games in the fourth quarter once the opposing defense is tired.. A football version of a closer relief pitcher. Let Gore ground out first downs to keep the clock moving or convert a needed third down.

Back
Top Bottom