Ranking the Dolphins' options at quarterback for 2020 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ranking the Dolphins' options at quarterback for 2020

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
There are as many as six hopeful quarterbacks in the upcoming NFL Draft who hope to hear their names called in the 1st-round. There is also one quarterback already on the Dolphins who would like Miami to reconsider their stance as being leaders in the clubhouse for a new franchise quarterback. If putting them under the microscope through the perspective of being solutions at this point in time (much will change, rest assured) — what would it look like? How attractive would each option be?

We’re here to find out. Here’s how we’d currently rank each of the prominent options for the Miami Dolphins’ quarterback position in 2020.

Good list, it didn’t included Eason though who’s also on some scouts radar. I think I like Burrow more than Herbert.

If Miami isn't bad enough for Tua, I doubt they'd be able to trade up and get him. Cincy would take him. I would think Denver would take him. The Jets wouldn't trade with Miami. Washington could factor into trade possibilities.

Fromm is someone I haven't seen a lot of. I know several on this board really like him and he seems to be a Tom Brady type. The scouting report is pretty similar. Of course, that doesn't mean he'll have that type of success. I'm still not sure with Herbert. He reminds me of Bledsoe, who was a good quarterback. I just don't know enough about his intangibles.

As to Rosen, it really seems like the team has already determined that he is not the guy. Is that a smokescreen? Hard to believe it would be. Who else could Miami be tanking for besides Tua?

For me I'm the opposite of most fans.

1. Tua
2. Fromm

I just love how amazing Fromm's decision making is. 4 reads a down. But Tua is better than all of them.

For me I'm the opposite of most fans.

1. Tua
2. Fromm

I just love how amazing Fromm's decision making is. 4 reads a down. But Tua is better than all of them.

Fromm really benefits from his offensive line and how the power running game dictates plays and therefore down and distance. I'm somewhat amused that Tua is always the subject of that type of adjustment when actually the more limited guy in Fromm is boosted by conditions that enable him to pick his spots and thrive. Every time I've seen Fromm in trouble like once the tide has turned against Alabama, or that bowl game against Texas last year, he starts looking quite ordinary when the offensive line and running game is not dictating. Same thing for the first half against Notre Dame this year.

Georgia's offensive line was projected #1 in the nation in all the preseason rankings from companies like Athlon that do that annually. The #1 status has held up on FootballOutsiders' more complicated analysis of the actual games.

BTW, I know Alabama fans want to knock their current offensive line but as always they are spoiled regarding prior versions of themselves instead of looking at the nation as a whole. FootballOutsiders has Alabama offensive line functioning as #7 in run blocking although not as good in pass blocking.

Canes fans won't be surprised that Miami is 100th or worse in every category:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol/2019

A long time ago, Jordan Love ascended to the #2 spot on the list.

And now I'm sort of doing the b*tch thing and doing a Love/Fromm tie for #2.

If we're marrying the PLAYER to the COACH, which is really what we're supposed to be doing in order to get the best results in football, then I think Jake Fromm becomes the choice. Not by a mile or anything like that, but I think it's pretty clear. However, if we're acknowledging the NFL reality which is that coaches come & go while your franchise players stick around and try and make do, then that's where I wonder if you start to come back to Jordan Love as the choice.

The draft is about projection as much as it is the present evaluation. The present evaluation of the two players is fairly clear, as I stated before. The ultimate projection, is less so. This is not easy. And that's why I'm dithering, which I hate.

Quite frankly I've been waffling around between Jake Fromm and Jordan Love as the #2 QB to Tua Tagovailoa for...3 years, now? I had Fromm as 2nd to Tagovailoa in the post-season after Tua won the championship. Then last post-season I put Love up there over him. Now I'm back to them being even.

This is a QB class that has been pretty clear-cut from a long distance out, which itself is kind of rare.

I love this play from Jake Fromm. He's so fun to watch.

With this coverage, the split safeties dropping back deep, everyone else in man, you see the RB motion away from the backfield which draws the Mike with him, leaving the middle completely vacant. So what Jake Fromm really wants here is to hit his boundary slot receiver #16 Demetrus Robertson on the slant versus a linebacker in man. Hit that exactly right and Demetris could run a mile before being touched.

For whatever reason, Fromm intuited the throw wouldn't be there, and so he pulls the ball down, re-loads, and throws to Matt Landers on the quick cutoff under the off-man coverage. Now I'm no QB coaching expert here and I'm not gonna pretend I know what Fromm saw that caused him to do that, but he was right, because #16 Robertson got tangled up on a bump in the 5 yard zone and that throw would not have been there.

But the other thing about this throw is the timing. Considering this was a second option, the ball comes out with good timing.

Just as importantly though, it comes out HOT.

That's not something you're used to hearing about Jake Fromm as a QB. Just like with Tua, this is a misconception about him, that he doesn't throw with velocity or pace. But I can tell you right now a typical Joe Burrow throw would've arrived at the receiver at pretty much the exact same time as the corner. And depending on how good the corner was, whether he was playing the ball or playing the man, it may even have been picked off.

It's only a 60 foot throw, so there's not a whole lot of congratulating to be done for Fromm achieving NFL velocity on it. But at the same time, it did happen on 2nd read after a pump and re-load, and that's pretty good.

To me the problem with scouts when it comes to quarterbacks is they're just looking for 'tools'. The big prototype bodies with the strongest arms.

However, any 8 year old can identify those if they just sit and watch a little football. Why would I need to pay scouts to go find that... your granddaughter can find that for you.

What I want my scouts to be able to do is determine which quarterbacks are the best. Not which one's have the best 'tools'.

A lot of people can spot the tall kid with the big arm. NFL scouts are just pointing out the obvious. It takes a little something more and a little luck to really figure out what's going on.

To me the problem with scouts when it comes to quarterbacks is they're just looking for 'tools'. The big prototype bodies with the strongest arms.

However, any 8 year old can identify those if they just sit and watch a little football. Why would I need to pay scouts to go find that... your granddaughter can find that for you.

What I want my scouts to be able to do is determine which quarterbacks are the best. Not which one's have the best 'tools'.

A lot of people can spot the tall kid with the big arm. NFL scouts are just pointing out the obvious. It takes a little something more and a little luck to really figure out what's going on.
This is apropos in the Fromm/ Herbert debate. Fromm is a gamer imo.

Tua’s level of play is beyond question IMO.
If “scouts” can’t recognize Tua as the best QB in last 5-10 years just give up.

Agree with this statement but I guess that's just the scouts trying to use some sort of benchmark for validation with the tangibles they can measure. I for one would like to see scouts take this further and use the data they collect for modelling situations and putting QBs for example in theoretical scenarios based on the data they have already gleaned.

As for the current crop I think would class Tua above Fromm simply because I think Fromm may have the better tangibles but seems rather inconsistent with his throws. Also when the pressure is on he seems to not process information as well as Tua with the latest game against South Carolina as a prime example.

Of course Tua is surrounded by elite talent which seems to be the main discussion, but as some other poster mentioned earlier he just seems to make things look easy which I don't see yet from Fromm. Tua still needs to get the ball to the receivers and read the defense which so far this year his pre snap processing seems to have improved from last year.

Still a long way to go & don't rule out Burrows. The kid surprised me for LSU against Florida over the weekend, albeit against a depleted pass rush, he showed poise and leadership & made some key throws when the pressure was on.

Burrows is making it tough to ignore him. However RIGHT NOW meaning this could change I think its Tua clearly number 1, Herbert clearly number 2, then Burrows/Fromm/Eason and Hurts battling oft positioning. Note I dont think Hurts is a first round pick but it's hard not to ignore what he is doing.

The more QBs go in the first round the better talent will be available with our other 2 first round picks

Who ever the pick is for Miami for the sake of the Franchise, they have to get it right. Tua obviously is #1. But if somehow, Miami eventually picks #2 - #5, they need to be damn sure of WHO IT IS!!! Fromm has been impressive due to his pre and post snap reads, that can't be overlooked inspite of his athletic limitations. He'll need better protection which becomes issue #1, if Miami selects him. Love as awesome tools, but is just a bit raw. He needs experience and coaching. Question is, does Miami give him the best option to succeed? Love has everything a team could ask for. Is he a fit for Miami? Herbert had lots of tools. But what about the intelligence to play on the NFL level. Is he being handcuffed by Oregan as some online scouting sites have suggested? Do you risk it all on him not knowing the answers? Burrow has lots of moxie and leadership ability. But is he a one year wonder?

1. Tua
2. Joe Burrow
3. Herbert
4. Rosen
5. Fromm = ****ing garbage
6. Love = garbage
7. Hurts = Garbage

In a way I hope Miami drafts either Fromm, Love or Hurts with their first pick so that I can finally quit this team. Those 3 QBs are horrible and and will never be at an NFL level. Also, this talk of trading up is idiotic. Way too many needs.

Back
Top Bottom