Ray Feinga and Kevin Hobbs signed/Vernon Carey hurting/Will Allen sent to see doctor | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ray Feinga and Kevin Hobbs signed/Vernon Carey hurting/Will Allen sent to see doctor

Hope big Vern is OK. It's my opinion we have 3 players we cannot get by without on offense:

Jake Long
Brandon Marshall
Vernon Carey

I just think the drop off would be too much if any of these 3 were hurt.

the worst part is they have not even played a game in preseason yet, yikes

The thing is that Nublar and Finactic's intuition about Will Allen having serious problems could be right. But CK is right that these guys we're bringing have very little if anything to do with Allen's situation outside of keeping enough corners out there to keep them all fresh. The fact of the matter is if Will Allen has problems, it's not like you can go to the grocery store and pick another one up. Starting caliber corners are quickly moving into QB, defensive end and linebacker world in terms of salary and importance. If Allen is hurt or limited or not himself all season it's not like, "oh, we'll just plug Frank Walker in there. No problem." That's ridiculous, as CK points out.

To me the issue no one's talking about is that Jason Allen has pretty much been moved exclusively to boundary corner, or so he says, and according to many this has really helped his development and helped him thrive at times this training camp (though I liked what I saw from Carroll and Ness more at the scrimmage). If Will Allen is gone, I'm not sure we can count on Jason Allen there. I mean, this isn't a guy with huge mental skills. If you put him somewhere all offseason and training camp, he's not the kind to react well to being moved back inside. At this point the job would pretty much fall to Carroll, and I would be lying if I said I felt even a little comfortable about that right now.

Well said

Also, I am thinking they would maybe put Vontae in the slot and let Smith and Jason Allen play more outside. One thing I feel we really lose with Will Allen is the ability to tackle. In the slot with guys like Welker out there, you better be able to tackle, and tackle well. Vontae is a solid tackler, and I think he probably is our best "slot" CB option on this team . . . especially with the talent at CB we can put outside.

The story now is that Will Allen is going to have arthroscopic surgery on his knee. Probably the ol' loose bodies dance. This is sort of mixed news. On the one hand, Will Allen really hasn't played much slot corner so he could probably use the practice. On the other hand, arthroscopic surgery is very common in the NFL and almost everyone recovers completely from it given time (including Brandon Marshall, who had his hip scoped this offseason, though no one seems to remember that). Plus, this gives us a chance to get extended looks at Nolan Carroll and Nate Ness inside. Both of those guys vs. Sammie Straughter is something I'm looking forward to on Friday.

As for Vontae playing inside, I would have to be counted as very skeptical. Vontae has elite physical skills but still has a ways to go between the ears. I know how tempting it seems but he's probably not ready for that role given how much it tests you from a play recognition, technique and consistency standpoint.

Will Allen is very experienced in the slot. Very instinctive. He's played there a lot for Miami and I believe he did it a lot for the Giants as well.

He doesn't need a training camp. He just needs to be healthy. In the mean time one of the most exciting by-lines of camp, Nolan Carroll, just got a massive bump in the quality and quantity of his practice and preseason game reps. I hope he uses them well.

yeah i think will allen has played the slot a plenty...so if he's healthy i don't think its an issue at all...i want to keep vontae on the perimeter along with sean smith...will allen or carroll the nickle

and hopefully will til we see what carroll looks like for ourselves

It's been reported here and elsewhere that W ALLEN had/will very soon have athroscopic surgery to remove DEBRIS in the knee, and that he's expected back for opening day. If I recall correctly, athroscopic surgery's recovery time is anywhere from 2-5 weeks. This is common. Removing debris in a player's knee is NOT an earth-shattering event, at all.

That should end this not-so-big mystery.

:lol: So this is where today's pissing contest was. :lol:

Interesting reading, fellas. :up:

to me i think if we HAD to lose vernon carey to injury we could work around it...provided garner was an option and some of these other guys we have working inside i think could switch outside and be ok...

i don't consider carey a top 3 can't lose player on this roster...

if i'm going top 5 it's...

chad henne ( he goes down long term season is over)
jake long
cameron wake (cause we'll never make teams respect our outside pass rush if he goes down)
randy starks (not a solai every down fan)
brandon marshall

any of these 5 and we're in trouble

to me i think if we HAD to lose vernon carey to injury we could work around it...provided garner was an option and some of these other guys we have working inside i think could switch outside and be ok...

i don't consider carey a top 3 can't lose player on this roster...

if i'm going top 5 it's...

chad henne ( he goes down long term season is over)
jake long
cameron wake (cause we'll never make teams respect our outside pass rush if he goes down)
randy starks (not a solai every down fan)
brandon marshall

any of these 5 and we're in trouble

I agree with Wake and Starks, was just doing offense. I have lots of confidence in our tackle combination it's the interior that has question marks. I'd hate to lose either of our 2 best lineman. Maybe Garner would fill in OK for Carey. You know I think we can win with Pennington at QB but I don’t want to get into that debate again.

Back
Top Bottom