Reasons why Gus should start! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Reasons why Gus should start!

AJ is younger and we need to find out how good he is, we cant do that with him on the bench. Giving up on AJ after last year is just dumb imo. Gus shouldnt start, because he definitely isnt the future, AJ could be, so he should start so we can find out.

DonShula84 said:
AJ is younger and we need to find out how good he is, we cant do that with him on the bench. Giving up on AJ after last year is just dumb imo. Gus shouldnt start, because he definitely isnt the future, AJ could be, so he should start so we can find out.

Good post. We aren't going to win the Super Bowl this year, in fact, we will struggle to make the playoffs. Why not evaluate A.J. Feeley and see if he's going to be our go to guy or if he's going to suck. Gus is not the future of this team, why put in a guy who might make us 8-8 instead of 7-9? All these Gus threads make me want to bash my head into a goal post.:goof:

wazzy said:
There are so many reasons why Gus should start.

- He knows the system already
- The defence is not getting any younger
- We can draft a QB next year and let him develope under Gus and learn the system
- Gus is a an above average quarterback who can control the game(Jake Delhomme) and thats all we need with the running game were going to have.
- It is more likely Feely will struggle at the beginning of the season with the new system and that is not good when we can have a winning team with a QB that can control the game

Reasons I dissagree...

The system...sure he is more familiar with the terminology of the system, which gives him somewhat of an edge, however, the WRs, RBs, TEs and OL are also not familiar with the system...therefore, even if he knows what is supposed to be happening, everyone else needs to know as well....AJ is capable of picking up a new system...his disadvantage is that this is his 3rd system in the last two full years....

The defense is not getting much younger, however, the system that Saban runs and with his advanced knowledge of how to run a top-notch defense and the fact that we have only a couple of rookies that will be asked to learn this system (the remainder of the veterans, being experienced and several have operated in this style of D...Spraghan, Jr, Crowder, Daniels, Bowens in college, etc) giving them an advantage..The D will not miss much of a beat under Saban, even with "veteran" players.

Are you forgetting about AJ ?? Are you forgetting that we gave up a 2nd round choice for him ?? Shouldn't we give him the opportunity to show what he can do ?? Afterall, Wanny surely didn't give him an opportunity last season. His lack of success was determined when Wanny and Spielman dissagreed on trading for him. His "loyalty" to certain players (Ears being the poster child for this) doomed any chance of AJ being successful...then, of course, Wanny plays "ring around the rosie" with the offensive coaches, they dissagree on everything during the season until Bates sets them somewhat straight. Then Wacky drops out of sight and they make ZERO adjustments to the offense to account for him not being there...Oh, and then there was the play of the OL....That surely gave AJ every opportunity to be successful...Gus can always be available to backup and fill in for AJ if he falters. That is his best role. We can still draft another young QB for the future...I think that's a great idea for next year...

Gus is an average QB (not really above average) and can control the game to a certain extent. He has proven in the past that his best role is the fill in/backup role, not the extended starter spot. His best years were in very stable, quality offensive and defensive teams. I would hardly classify us as stable on offense...And Delhomme is far better than just a "manager" of the game...If you watch him this year, you'll see that. His first year with the Panthers, that is all he was asked to do. This last year, after their poor start, with a new OL, he improved greatly and as I said, proved he is far better than just a manager of the game.

As I said above, the entire offense may struggle, with or without Gus because of the newness of the system for all our players. In particular, the success of the system hinges on the OL...if they come together as we all hope, fine, but that will take some time...expect us to be very good sometimes and very poor sometimes as our players progress. Be a little more realistic about why we traded for AJ...it was not to dispose of him after not using him properly last year.

So, there is no reason to hand Gus the starting spot when we have someone with some potential here and ready to go...

We defintely got Sage for a 7th rounder, there's no question about that. That was the best deal imaginable at the time in my mind..the young man has skills, we've just never given him the chance.

MDFINFAN said:
We defintely got Sage for a 7th rounder, there's no question about that. That was the best deal imaginable at the time in my mind..the young man has skills, we've just never given him the chance.
I totally agree. I hope Saban gives him a fair shot.

I say that no matter who starts, we institute a new rule in the Dolphins organization: no short outs near the sideline. Until our QB's can throw that pass without being picked, just don't throw the damn thing! It's 6 points for the other team every time! Taking away part of the field cannot possibly be as bad as handing the other team a touchdown. Really, it can't. No matter how bad it sucks. Scoring for the other team is definitely worse.

Whoever performs better during trainingcamp/preseason should get the nod imo. If AJ performs well and shows potential he should start. But if he performs like he did last season, which was HORRID then Gus should be the starter. I want AJ to succeed as much as anybody, but just because we wasted a 2nd rnd pick on him does not mean he is a starting QB. Could he start in the NFL? I don't know we will see come training camp/Preseason.

Reasons to start Gus:

1. He know's Saban system and style of offense,
2. He has more experience and knowledge than Feeley,
3. I think Gus has a slightly stronger arm,
4. They both throw INT's that suck, but Gus throws fewer. :D
5. We know what Feeley can do, lets see if Gus is better.

arsenal said:
please id rather have the AJ feeley of last year than gus... you guys act like gus is a star, hes really not...

Can you back that comment up. I would take almost any back up in the league over AJ last year.

flintsilver7 said:
Well, let me give you some reasons why Gus should NOT start.

As far as Gus knowing the system:
http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/MIN
http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/MIN/2003/regular
....looks like Daunte's system to me.

(As an aside: http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-PASSING/2003/regular?sort_col_1=8. Gus played against Detroit, San Francisco, and Atlanta.)

As far as...well, all your other posts, I direct you here:
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1070
and for comparison, http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12363
....Is Gus capable of controlling the game? Is Gus an above-average QB? Is Gus capable of mentoring a young QB?

I'll return to the point I made when Gus first was signed months ago: He's like Jay Fiedler, except not quite as good. If you recall, Fiedler was hammered just as badly in last year's offense as Feeley, and Feeley ended up winning the job and improving. Those are FACTS, not opinions.

Feely never outright won the job. Fielder was injured and our season was already lost so the coaching staff had to see what we had in him, which besides heart wasnt much.

Scott Andrew said:
In 2004 Randy Moss had better QB numbers then Gus Frerotte... that's hilarious!

Gus attempted 1 pas last season, what a great comparision..........NOPE NOT REALLY

flintsilver7 said:
Well, let me give you some reasons why Gus should NOT start.

As far as Gus knowing the system:
http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/MIN
http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/MIN/2003/regular
....looks like Daunte's system to me.

(As an aside: http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-PASSING/2003/regular?sort_col_1=8. Gus played against Detroit, San Francisco, and Atlanta.)

As far as...well, all your other posts, I direct you here:
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1070
and for comparison, http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12363
....Is Gus capable of controlling the game? Is Gus an above-average QB? Is Gus capable of mentoring a young QB?

I'll return to the point I made when Gus first was signed months ago: He's like Jay Fiedler, except not quite as good. If you recall, Fiedler was hammered just as badly in last year's offense as Feeley, and Feeley ended up winning the job and improving. Those are FACTS, not opinions.

Sadly enough Fielder had better numbers than Feeley last year with a higher rating and better TD to INT ratio, with the SAME supporting cast. I would actually feel better having JAY start, and I thought I would never utter those words in my lifetime.

FinaticPatch said:
Sadly enough Fielder had better numbers than Feeley last year with a higher rating and better TD to INT ratio, with the SAME supporting cast. I would actually feel better having JAY start, and I thought I would never utter those words in my lifetime.

We tried Fiedler and gave him as much of a chance as any QB has ever deserved -- but time and agai, he just never took what was offered him. I
would rather go down with a guy who has more potential than stick with a
guy who is never going to get us anywhere....Fiedler and Wanny are two
peas in a pod....good but not great. I would rather see AJ or Gus, give them
a shot and if we still suck, draft Leinart or Jacobs next year, and send Gus
and AJ on their way.

thewicked1isher said:
Good post. We aren't going to win the Super Bowl this year, in fact, we will struggle to make the playoffs. Why not evaluate A.J. Feeley and see if he's going to be our go to guy or if he's going to suck. Gus is not the future of this team, why put in a guy who might make us 8-8 instead of 7-9? All these Gus threads make me want to bash my head into a goal post.:goof:
Couldn't have put it better myself.

Roman529 said:
Reasons to start Gus:

1. He know's Saban system and style of offense,
2. He has more experience and knowledge than Feeley,
3. I think Gus has a slightly stronger arm,
4. They both throw INT's that suck, but Gus throws fewer. :D
5. We know what Feeley can do, lets see if Gus is better.

I have no idea what Feeley can do with a good system around him and offensive line that gives him some help. No one knows what Feeley can do, and just because Gus has more experience, it doesnt mean he is better.

Back
Top Bottom