Report: Dolphins have done the most work on Oregon QB Justin Herbert | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report: Dolphins have done the most work on Oregon QB Justin Herbert

NCAA%20178x142%20DarkGrey.png

Justin Herbert QB, College Player

Oregon QB Justin Herbert was named the 2020 Senior Bowl MVP.

Herbert was considered the best quarterback prospect at the event with Joe Burrow and Tua Tagovailoa not participating, and he lived up to the hype. Not only did Herbert bring home the MVP trophy of the game, but he was also named the practice player of the week. Herbert is on track to be a fringe top-10 pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Source: NFL Draft on Twitter

Jan 25, 2020, 6:01 PM ET
Wow. Well that certainly is a strong start to Herbert rising on the draft charts. Impressive that he won practice player and game MVP. The two should go hand in hand and in this case they did.

I am sure this sentiment has been shared somewhere but the idea they have done the most work on Herbert is a deceiving concept. Burrow is out of reach so outside of due diligence is a waste of time, Tua just now became draft eligible and they weren't sure was coming out. Herbert was eligible last year and went back so there has been 2 years of scouting from NFL orgs. Seems like a common sense comment to me. Having looked at him for 2 years of course they have the most time spent on him especially with Tbaum's infatuation with him. Feel like he was good during senior bowl week, but still is QB3 IMO. He would need to kill the combine and private workouts to jump to QB2. And if Tua can bootleg, scramble some and throw on the run during his workout and just shows his abilities we all know he has and that his recovering is going well there is zero chance Herbert becomes QB2.

I am sure this sentiment has been shared somewhere but the idea they have done the most work on Herbert is a deceiving concept. Burrow is out of reach so outside of due diligence is a waste of time, Tua just now became draft eligible and they weren't sure was coming out. Herbert was eligible last year and went back so there has been 2 years of scouting from NFL orgs. Seems like a common sense comment to me. Having looked at him for 2 years of course they have the most time spent on him especially with Tbaum's infatuation with him. Feel like he was good during senior bowl week, but still is QB3 IMO. He would need to kill the combine and private workouts to jump to QB2. And if Tua can bootleg, scramble some and throw on the run during his workout and just shows his abilities we all know he has and that his recovering is going well there is zero chance Herbert becomes QB2.
I get what you are saying. However, he could have improved by going back for his senior year? I'm not arguing, as I have no clue about any of these guys outside of what I read. Just saying guys can get better in areas even we can't see or recognize.

I get what you are saying. However, he could have improved by going back for his senior year? I'm not arguing, as I have no clue about any of these guys outside of what I read. Just saying guys can get better in areas even we can't see or recognize.

I think he stayed the same IMO, but I was referring more at the statement of Miami having spent the most time on him as a prospect. With the circumstances around that kind of comment being, Burrow was out of the realm of possibility after a few wins along Tua's injury and uncertainty of course he was given the most focus. Until Tua's decision he was QB2 and a likely target out of sheer lack of QB prospects. Plus they were rumored to be enamored with him last year so 2 years of focus on him it would be an easy statement to say they have done the most work on him; and its a statement that should be taken with a gain of salt.

Like others are posting, the mobile QB fad WILL NOT sustain long-term in the NFL. One significant reason is that defenses are much stronger with better athletes overall, than in the college ranks. Most college teams have a few heavy hitters and more average guys. Pro Defenses are ALL big heavy hitters or they are simply not there at all. rgIII 2.0 awaits some team. It may be jackson, it may be tua, but soon there will be another epic fail of a QB injury-wise.

OLmen are BORN to protect a QB who can BE protected. Making him an open invitation for kamikaze hits takes away from the job of the OL. This is also why the pocket passer legends last so long.

Football works better as a game when the QB is a collector-distributor to deal the ball off to better athletes while being protected by a strong OL. All positions and facets of the game mesh better.

Tua is not that kind of QB. If that is what you are basing your argument on then you need to at least watch some Tua tape. Tua is a QB who throws the ball or hands it off, he's not going to make many plays with his legs, other than stepping up in the pocket to avoid the rush. If your point is he's short (for a QB) so therefore he must run about a lot, then I don't know what to say.

Tua is not that kind of QB. If that is what you are basing your argument on then you need to at least watch some Tua tape. Tua is a QB who throws the ball or hands it off, he's not going to make many plays with his legs, other than stepping up in the pocket to avoid the rush. If your point is he's short (for a QB) so therefore he must run about a lot, then I don't know what to say.
Honestly I think some people think Tua is a scrambling type qb because of.... well..... a certain physical trait he has that other well known scrambling QBs also possess

Correct. That's why the Steve Young comparison has never been perfect. Tua is smooth like Young and throws a very catchable drop in the bucket ball like Young. Patience and instincts in the pocket area are similar. However, Tua is not nearly as wiry or anywhere near the running threat beyond the line of scrimmage. That was true pre-injury so you'd have to expect even greater variance now.

Tua fits this era perfectly, as long as he can remain healthy. He'll buy just enough time to extend the play and then he can make every type of throw within the evolving play.

The criticisms of Tua Tagovailoa are just not smart. Those fans may get away with it. There are odds associated with everything. But it is exponentially more a case of being tired of the praise toward the player and jealous naysayer of the program he is associated with, than any legitimate knocks on his game and how it translates to the NFL.

This is a Justin Herbert thread. He took off in the Rose Bowl but that's really not his game. As j-off-her-doll mentioned recently, Herbert is more of a sameness low arc type than Tua or Jordan Love who can throw the spectrum when required. Love used to annoy me in the red zone by not varying pace enough. There's still probably some of that. That team wasn't in the red zone as frequently this season so the weakness wasn't as prominent. Tua always has the relaxation and touch no matter where he is on the field.

The question with Justin Herbert is how many plays will unfold ideally once he is in a more traditional offense instead of the 90 degree offense. He's dropping straight back and looking downfield. Will he be confident and assertive enough? Accurate enough when it counts instead of so many strange balls into the dirt? Can he vary his repertoire enough to enlarge those windows?

There are always variances between college and pro. It has always amazed me. It's one of the reasons so many of the projections fail, no matter how logical. Guys will get into an NFL camp and look different physically and stylistically. I've given up trying to figure out if it is coaching or maturity or what percentage of each.

Regarding the old time quarterbacks who would have benefitted immensely by the new NFL, I thought immediately of Bob Griese, Jim Zorn and Roger Staubach. Those were all incredibly smart crafty players who used mobility to advantage. Just imagine them weaving around today then stopping just behind the line of scrimmage. Slimm mentioned that this forum knocks every quarterback prospect. This site also has a laughably low appraisal of Bob Griese. Some of it is fans who came of age during the Marino years and refuse to believe Griese was anything but an ordinary quarterback who took advantage of the caliber of his team. Some of it is dislike of Griese as preseason broadcaster and therefore assuming he wasn't special at any point of his life. Meanwhile Don Shula probably never joins the Dolphins without Bob Griese already on the roster. Everyone knew what an incredible building block that was. Griese came a heck of a lot closer to winning the Heisman Trophy than Marino ever did. The consensus during late '60s/early '70s was that Griese could have shaped his game into Fran Tarkenton mode but he realized that wasn't best for himself or the team, especially with Csonka already on the roster and then Shula implementing the power running game as the Dolphins' core.

Great points on Griese, who as time passes is becoming increasingly underrated. Same with a lot of those quarterbacks from the 1970's. Griese would look great in that New Orleans offense of today.

Anyway, back to Herbert. I won't be at all surprised if he is drafted before Tua. Not because teams view him as the better prospect, just based on the durability issue.

Great points on Griese, who as time passes is becoming increasingly underrated. Same with a lot of those quarterbacks from the 1970's. Griese would look great in that New Orleans offense of today.

Anyway, back to Herbert. I won't be at all surprised if he is drafted before Tua. Not because teams view him as the better prospect, just based on the durability issue.

That and the fact Tua will have one workout prior to the draft and even if he nails the script and can bootleg and throw on the run showing how well he has progressed Herbert will have the combine and numerous private workouts. He will pull a Josh Allen run a good 40, throw the ball 70 yards in the air and say all the right things, I agree he could jump ahead of Tua in the draft process but that likely means he goes to a poor situation and will have an uphill climb to grow into his abilities. Miami of the teams in need of a QB is the best place to go, there is no expectation to play, weapons are being kept and developed. Money and draft picks were accumulated to build a young athletic roster, and you get the time needed to develop into the pro game. Time will tell but rarely is a guy starting right away ever really worked. If someone wants to trade up for Herbert and get him rolling right away good for them, dont see Burrow or Herbert succeeding if they have to start day 1 in the NFL which both will likely have to do considering the situations they come into.

That and the fact Tua will have one workout prior to the draft and even if he nails the script and can bootleg and throw on the run showing how well he has progressed Herbert will have the combine and numerous private workouts. He will pull a Josh Allen run a good 40, throw the ball 70 yards in the air and say all the right things, I agree he could jump ahead of Tua in the draft process but that likely means he goes to a poor situation and will have an uphill climb to grow into his abilities. Miami of the teams in need of a QB is the best place to go, there is no expectation to play, weapons are being kept and developed. Money and draft picks were accumulated to build a young athletic roster, and you get the time needed to develop into the pro game. Time will tell but rarely is a guy starting right away ever really worked. If someone wants to trade up for Herbert and get him rolling right away good for them, dont see Burrow or Herbert succeeding if they have to start day 1 in the NFL which both will likely have to do considering the situations they come into.
[/QUOTE
Great points. Another reason someone like Fromm could end up in a better situation than the top picks. He could end up with a team like New England or New Orleans.

I'd be all for drafting Herbert at #5 and letting him sit for a year behind Fitzpatrick.

Chris Simms made some interesting points about Herbert earlier this week that some will agree with and some won't. Basically said that the system was built by an OL guy (true) and that he felt the offense really didn't put Herbert in the best position to win with his arm when it was needed. That can be debated up and down (and I'd love to do) but I do think there is some merit to that as a lot of talk from mobile was that the teams in attendance felt that the Oregon staff handcuffed Herbert. Again that is for debate.

Now as I've been saying pretty much all year, I get not liking Justin Herbert. It does feel like something is missing with him, but I think the reaction some have to him is curious. Personally if we can't get Tua or Burrow, I'm more than happy to take the chance on Herbert and let him develop. He isn't a perfect prospect, but the more I've watched of him the more I personally like him

Chris Simms made some interesting points about Herbert earlier this week that some will agree with and some won't. Basically said that the system was built by an OL guy (true) and that he felt the offense really didn't put Herbert in the best position to win with his arm when it was needed. That can be debated up and down (and I'd love to do) but I do think there is some merit to that as a lot of talk from mobile was that the teams in attendance felt that the Oregon staff handcuffed Herbert. Again that is for debate.

Now as I've been saying pretty much all year, I get not liking Justin Herbert. It does feel like something is missing with him, but I think the reaction some have to him is curious. Personally if we can't get Tua or Burrow, I'm more than happy to take the chance on Herbert and let him develop. He isn't a perfect prospect, but the more I've watched of him the more I personally like him

The Head coach there at Oregon is an OL coach, so it is true that the offense was built around running the ball and didn't really play into Herbert's strengths. If you get the chance to listen to 3YP podcast this week, listen to what Simon had gotten from a NFL GM, in his appraisal of Herbert, he says the kid is almost too smart, take direction literally rarely quetions it, in that GM's mind that is a positive and also a negative because he wants his QB's to challenge sometimes. That keeping to the script is evident in his play and probably why he suffers when he has to make quick decisions off script.

It's hugely important I feel for Herbert to land in the right situation, you can say the same for Love, I think personally putting my totally neutral hat on Carolina, Indy and Tampa Bay would be ideal locations for either of them.

Tape there’s tape on Tua - who knew?

Back
Top Bottom