report: Dolphins plan to retain Wilkins | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

report: Dolphins plan to retain Wilkins

These restructures for Chubb, Hill and Ramsey is exactly the type of cap managment that got us into this mess.

We have to pay the piper eventually, the longer we kick the can down the road with these restructures the worse off we will be in the long run.

Do you think morgaging our future cap flexibility is worth trying to go all in next year? I don't, we don't have enough depth to realisticly think we're only these guys and a FA or two away from winning it all next year.

Teams like the Saints when they had Brees or the Rams when they got Stafford did this type of thing and got a ring out of it. I dont see our roster being good enough to justify the risk of further harming our cap situation in the future.

We're about to have an expensive QB, we havnt had to build a team with that kind of cap strain in a very long time. We need to be thinking about cap flexibility for the future not how we can find a crazy way to resign Wilkins for the sake of coming in 2nd place in the division again next year.

I don’t think this is correct. Unlike both the Saints and the Eagles we’re not having to restructure contracts that have previously been restructured …that’s Cap Hell.

So we will likely restructure these guys because it gives us the opportunity to retain this core group of players on the basis we can contend with them.

After the disappointing end to last season I know many disagree with that.

But that’s a different argument to saying we’ve managed our Cap badly.

Personally, I’m of the view that this team can be a contender with a bit better injury luck and that blowing it up and starting again would be foolish.

Your one to talk

Cracks Me Up Steve Harvey GIF by ABC Network

Probably a rabbit hole you don’t want to go down.

Good, don’t want to be able see all his cards all the time, need to be unpredictable.
My thoughts, we retain Wilkins and hunt and lose Williams and Gink, can’t keep em all, wish we could….
I might keep Gink over Hunt. Gink is such a play maker

Pretty well means they are really close on a contract. Not that he's hitting free agency.

I don’t think this is correct. Unlike both the Saints and the Eagles we’re not having to restructure contracts that have previously been restructured …that’s Cap Hell.

So we will likely restructure these guys because it gives us the opportunity to retain this core group of players on the basis we can contend with them.

After the disappointing end to last season I know many disagree with that.

But that’s a different argument to saying we’ve managed our Cap badly.

Personally, I’m of the view that this team can be a contender with a bit better injury luck and that blowing it up and starting again would be foolish.
You are correct. However, if restructuring too many player contracts occurs, the level of risk is magnified. Severe cap problems occur when a significant restructured contract for a player who subsequently loses form completely or incurs a major injury. Restructuring only works when the player remains in good health and remains a top player delivering value. When you go to the well too many times (like the Saints) real problems can occur and the only solution is to ultimately "pay the piper" - ie lose good players that you don't want to lose to be cap compliant. To use a simple analogy, managing the salary cap is a like living off credit. Minimum payments are short term relief but ultimately, the money owed has to be paid.

Last edited:
You are correct. However, if restructuring too many player contracts occurs, the level of risk is magnified. Severe cap problems occur when a significant restructured contract for a player who subsequently loses form completely or incurs a major injury. Restructuring only works when the player remains in good health and remains a top player delivering value. When you go to the well too many times (like the Saints) real problems can occur and the only solution is to ultimately "pay the piper" - ie lose good players that you don't want to lose to be cap compliant. To use a simple analogy, managing the salary cap is a like living off credit. Minimum payments are short term relief but ultimately, the money owed has to be paid.

Yep … and credit cards are useful when you want something now that you can’t immediately afford or if you’re happy to forego things in the future when you’re paying it back.

The Saints are - as you say - living off credit. They’ve never taken the pain but they also can’t really do much to improve their team.

For me, the debate around the Dolphins’ cap situation is inextricably linked to how people view the current roster and - most importantly - Tua.

It’s quite clear to me that the Front Office think they can win with this core of players.

If they believe that then it makes sense to restructure some contracts and extend Tua to reduce his cap hit next year.

2026 is then the time blow it all up and to take the pain if it doesn’t work out. That’s the end of McDaniels’ contract and when we can - with some pain - get out of some big contracts.

But if you think this core group and Tua can’t get it done … then I totally understand the nervousness about both the cap and Tua’s contract.

Feels like this forum - and probably the whole fan base - is fairly evenly split between these two positions and they can’t really be reconciled.

At least the Draft is soon and there’ll be something more interesting to discuss!

Yep … and credit cards are useful when you want something now that you can’t immediately afford or if you’re happy to forego things in the future when you’re paying it back.

The Saints are - as you say - living off credit. They’ve never taken the pain but they also can’t really do much to improve their team.

For me, the debate around the Dolphins’ cap situation is inextricably linked to how people view the current roster and - most importantly - Tua.

It’s quite clear to me that the Front Office think they can win with this core of players.

If they believe that then it makes sense to restructure some contracts and extend Tua to reduce his cap hit next year.

2026 is then the time blow it all up and to take the pain if it doesn’t work out. That’s the end of McDaniels’ contract and when we can - with some pain - get out of some big contracts.

But if you think this core group and Tua can’t get it done … then I totally understand the nervousness about both the cap and Tua’s contract.

Feels like this forum - and probably the whole fan base - is fairly evenly split between these two positions and they can’t really be reconciled.

At least the Draft is soon and there’ll be something more interesting to discuss!
When you have to pay a quarterback 50+ mil a year if he is decent it’s very hard to upgrade your team.

Having these cap issues when your team is great is one thing. We haven’t won the division in over 15 years and haven’t won a playoff game in nearly 25. And we haven’t even overpaid captain unclutch yet. The roster around Tua isn’t going to improve as we go forward.

I might keep Gink over Hunt. Gink is such a play maker
Can't keep everyone but I want both of them back. Hunt is sneaky dependable. This is when it gets hard, ie prioritizing players at different positions who are both successes and deserve to be paid. Both turned out to be really good Draft picks by Chris Grier.

You take it that way? I took it as they are too far apart and are going to let him see what his market is.
I also tend to think it most likely means Miami & Wilkins are close enough on a contract that Grier doesn’t need to use the franchise tag on him.

Just last week, we saw reliable sources report that Miami was intent on using the tag in order to keep Wilkins, now we’re hearing they won’t use the tag. So what’s changed in 1 weeks time?

Back
Top Bottom