report: Dolphins plan to retain Wilkins | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

report: Dolphins plan to retain Wilkins

Damien Lewis is someone who can fill that LG spot even better than Wynn and shouldn’t cost too much. Hes definitely on my radar to help resolve the interior OL some before the draft. I’d like to sign a guard and draft a center. Nothing more. I don’t want to use both 1 and 2 on the OL.

Would like to re-sign Wilkins, Hunt, Elliot, and AVG while adding second/third wave guys like Lewis, Josh Uche, Rock Ya-Sin, Noah Fant, etc.

Position the team to go BPA at 21 or trade down.

Last edited:
If we pay Wilkins over 20 million a year on a multi year deal, it will make alot of our fanbase very happy. It will also effectively close our Superbowl Window bc w Wilkins and Tuas new contracts on the books we won't have cap space to build a Suber Bowl Caliber roster. There will be holes everywhere.

What drives me crazy about our collective pee size brain as a fanbase, most of you idiots fall so in love with every player that wears a Dolphins jersey, you want to pay them every penny they demand even though this awful franchise hasn't won a single thing in almost 30 years.
Thank you. That was my immediate thought last night. This will be a popular move but also a regulating move. This fanbase has a remarkable propensity for overrating our own players. It was glaring when I arrived on this site in 2005 and nothing has changed.

We actually had one poster in this thread suggest that Wilkins needs two more years at 2023 level to be in discussion for the Hall of Fame.

Listen, I don't like to post back and forth. And that comment is one of the reasons. How is restraint possible?

Wilkins has already been eliminated. He's played 5 years and has no honors that align with Hall of Fame. It's not a subjective happy time pursuit. The Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas backers pointed out that they did have those honors.

Wilkins 2023 season was so dominant it equated to nothing. No honors. He got a 75 PFF rating. The only thing it will accomplish is a contract well above his ability level and a bump in the NFL Network Top 100 list.

Thankfully we have several real world posters who rescued sanity level by pointing out the fundamental reality, that Wilkins' 2023 has bounce written all over the place. Regression is one of the key variables in all of sports yet it seldom shows up on fan sites.

Christian Wilkins is our Chris Jones. That's the regulating aspect and it's hardly alone.

Again, if Wilkins leaves, it's like getting rid of both of them. Sieler had good numbers but I highly doubt he has those numbers without Wilkins taking so much attention away from him. If we put a scrub or rook next to sieler, watch him dissappear.
Good Point.

Thank you. That was my immediate thought last night. This will be a popular move but also a regulating move. This fanbase has a remarkable propensity for overrating our own players. It was glaring when I arrived on this site in 2005 and nothing has changed.

We actually had one poster in this thread suggest that Wilkins needs two more years at 2023 level to be in discussion for the Hall of Fame.

Listen, I don't like to post back and forth. And that comment is one of the reasons. How is restraint possible?

Wilkins has already been eliminated. He's played 5 years and has no honors that align with Hall of Fame. It's not a subjective happy time pursuit. The Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas backers pointed out that they did have those honors.

Wilkins 2023 season was so dominant it equated to nothing. No honors. He got a 75 PFF rating. The only thing it will accomplish is a contract well above his ability level and a bump in the NFL Network Top 100 list.

Thankfully we have several real world posters who rescued sanity level by pointing out the fundamental reality, that Wilkins' 2023 has bounce written all over the place. Regression is one of the key variables in all of sports yet it seldom shows up on fan sites.

Christian Wilkins is our Chris Jones. That's the regulating aspect and it's hardly alone.
I see this Wilkins contract as a lipnestest for how Grier is looking at the future and potnetially a move that sets off a chain of events that could hurt us for next 3 to 5 years.

If he signs Wilkins to a big deal and gives the bag to Tua, I fully expect him to blow a ton of resources on a big trade or; at the very least, he will spend every last cent we have and try to go All-in next year. This approach will fail, bc our team is simply not deep enough with talent to pull this off. This would prolong our cap issues and most likley make them even worse for years to come.

If Grier does the sensible thing and let's Wilkins walk bc his contract demandes do not align with his production. It will hopefully be the start of a more sustainable cap managment approach.

If we are going to carry a QB that's taking up 20% of the teams salary cap we can't have guys on the roster like Ogbah making 15 million sitting on the bench.

AVG isn't lost on me when I'm thinking about Wilkins. AVG will be around 10 mill a year, we could also get a solid Olinemn for 10 mill a year and still have a couple million left over if we did this instead of signing Wilkins.

I see this Wilkins contract as a lipnestest for how Grier is looking at the future and potnetially a move that sets off a chain of events that could hurt us for next 3 to 5 years.

If he signs Wilkins to a big deal and gives the bag to Tua, I fully expect him to blow a ton of resources on a big trade or; at the very least, he will spend every last cent we have and try to go All-in next year. This approach will fail, bc our team is simply not deep enough with talent to pull this off. This would prolong our cap issues and most likley make them even worse for years to come.

If Grier does the sensible thing and let's Wilkins walk bc his contract demandes do not align with his production. It will hopefully be the start of a more sustainable cap managment approach.

If we are going to carry a QB that's taking up 20% of the teams salary cap we can't have guys on the roster like Ogbah making 15 million sitting on the bench.

AVG isn't lost on me when I'm thinking about Wilkins. AVG will be around 10 mill a year, we could also get a solid Olinemn for 10 mill a year and still have a couple million left over if we did this instead of signing Wilkins.
The fact that Wilks hasn't signed means we are staying put or at the very least not caving into Wilks desired salary or guaranteed $$$ whatever number that is. That's being responsible and he may be looking for his replacement. Regardless, time is on their side, no need to rush in the decision. I don't think we'll break the bank on a DT, just my 2 c worth

I am assuming you were going for "litmus test"????

I do agree that, in general, if we continue our same path of mortgaging the future, we are in for a hard fall.

Who? Just curious. Who could we sign at 10mm that could replace Wilkins?

Any of those names ring a bell after 17? Probably not, cause you can't outside draft.

Here are the free agent DTs:

I heavily agree we should give everyone a lip nest test. 🤣

Who? Just curious. Who could we sign at 10mm that could replace Wilkins?

Any of those names ring a bell after 17? Probably not, cause you can't outside draft.

Here are the free agent DTs:

I never said anything about replacing Wilkins. Like at all. I said we could sign a Offensive Linemen and AVG.

Were going to need multiple guys that can play DT, we will prob draft one and have to look at UDFAs and guys who get cut.

We're in cap hell, nothing about this offseason is simple and easy.

I’m fine with a sign and trade for Wilkins. He’s not elite or worth top 5 money.

I’m fine with a sign and trade for Wilkins. He’s not elite or worth top 5 money.
I wonder if that's a reality, it sure would be great, I just think it's a pipe dream.

Edit: regarding the tag and trade idea.

Last edited:
Damien Lewis is someone who can fill that LG spot even better than Wynn and shouldn’t cost too much. Hes definitely on my radar to help resolve the interior OL some before the draft. I’d like to sign a guard and draft a center. Nothing more. I don’t want to use both 1 and 2 on the OL.

Would like to re-sign Wilkins, Hunt, Elliot, and AVG while adding second/third wave guys like Lewis, Josh Uche, Rock Ya-Sin, Noah Fant, etc.

Position the team to go BPA at 21 or trade down.
Please help me understand how the Dolphins can get enough cap space to resign Wilkins 24m, Hunt 12m, Elliot 5m, AVG 10m & get 10+m more for one of these FAs. That's 60+ Million in space, then we need money left to pay draft picks and UDFAs so prob another 10-15 mill. So your plan would need us to get to at least +60,000,000 under the cap and that's being conservative.

I want someone who talks about resigning all these guys to at least make an attempt to get us from 24 million dollars over the cap currently to positive 60 million too make these signings.

I dont even care if you can hypothetically cut enough players to make this happen, I just want to see someone try it. Like list out who we cut to create this 84 million dollars. I'm curious what the roster would even look like.

I'll help you get started, We get 18.5 million from X getting cut on June 1st, after cutting Ogbah and the updated cap figure for 2024 announced yesterday were 26.6 million over the cap right now. Minus the 18.5 on June 1st were only 8.1 million over the cap. So your mission if you choose to accept it is to cut enough players off our roster to create 68.1 million in cap space for 2024.

Back
Top Bottom