report: Dolphins plan to retain Wilkins | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

report: Dolphins plan to retain Wilkins

I give it some slack yea but at the same time is DT the place you want to invest this much of your cap percentage?

If Wilkins was or would accepted a fair contract I would still have hesitations bc I'm not sure we should be handing out giant contacts when we havnt paid Tua yet or Waddle, this offseason we have zero cap flexibility and if we're being honest we don't need one very good DT for 25 million a year. We need 5 good players for 5 million a year.

For a second, I thought I read"...we don't need one very good DT for 25 million years. We need 5 good players for 5 million years. - LOL

Well, it's 6:30 AM and I haven't had my breakfast yet. - LOL

Last edited:
If he walks and puts up 3 to 4 sacks while giving us a 3rd round comp pick is that so bad? The NFL is filled with DT’s that primarily stop the run and take up blockers. Just devils advocate here, it’s a tough call but if keeping him is the way they want to go I understand and am ok with it but there is real risk there.

If, if, if.
If grandma had balls, she'd be gandpa. - LOL

I am curious what our plan for the OL is if we invest $20M+ per year in Wilkins. I have nothing against him, but our starting LG, C and RG are all FAs. Our starting LT is probably going to retire or be cut after next year (and we all know he won’t stay healthy so we need a quality back up). Would be nice if we had more picks this year…we really need starters on rookie contracts.

Truth!!!
Whatever our FO does, I hope it isn't at the expense of future draft picks.

Wilkins is one of my favorite players on the team.....he's one of the leaders as well so of course I'd want him back but it has to make sense too

I think the word you might be looking for is "balance".
I fully agree with getting this team "balanced".

In order to do that we need to develop players over time. That way we will already have the replacements we will need on the team when those "soon to be FA players" leave us.

That is part of the price for developing a winning team, and it never stops.

Last edited:
Maybe it is growth as an individual. coaching (Fang) or simply contract year busting his ass
Or all three at the same time.

This would make any change in coaching or an individuals' health, variables out of a players control.

A players' personal drive is harder to predict. Certainly, there is evidence that the "contract year drive" is a real phenonium.

This has to make future playing predictions extremely difficult.

I feel the two best statistical approaches are to look for a player's career level of play or look at a player's trajectory of improvement in play over the previous three years. If both approaches look good, you have yourself a real good player and probably need to keep him, but he will probably be too expensive to keep.

This means you will always need to have at least a competent replacement on hand for when Free Agency takes this player away.

Last edited:
He’s gonna be 29 in December, so I know it’s a tough decision but this is a business and considering his age, franchise tagging him til he’s 30 makes the most sense.

Either that or it’s a 3 year deal.. not four not five, three
I agree 3 years makes sense, but at his age, this could be his first.. and last big payday? I cannot see him taking less than 4 years, with maybe a voidable 5th year. Not quite sure how that 4th year works.

I agree 3 years makes sense, but at his age, this could be his first.. and last big payday? I cannot see him taking less than 4 years, with maybe a voidable 5th year. Not quite sure how that 4th year works.
Yeah his time is now to pounce, he’s done everything right, that’s why I’m not sure if it’s the right thing to do to franchise him..

He might take that as disrespect

God Of War Magic GIF by Santa Monica Studio
That's some pretty long nose hairs

Again, if Wilkins leaves, it's like getting rid of both of them. Sieler had good numbers but I highly doubt he has those numbers without Wilkins taking so much attention away from him. If we put a scrub or rook next to sieler, watch him dissappear.

Again, if Wilkins leaves, it's like getting rid of both of them. Sieler had good numbers but I highly doubt he has those numbers without Wilkins taking so much attention away from him. If we put a scrub or rook next to sieler, watch him dissappear.
Plus we don't know if Davis is coming back either. :ffic:

Back
Top Bottom