report: Dolphins plan to retain Wilkins | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

report: Dolphins plan to retain Wilkins

Please help me understand how the Dolphins can get enough cap space to resign Wilkins 24m, Hunt 12m, Elliot 5m, AVG 10m & get 10+m more for one of these FAs. That's 60+ Million in space, then we need money left to pay draft picks and UDFAs so prob another 10-15 mill. So your plan would need us to get to at least +60,000,000 under the cap and that's being conservative.

I want someone who talks about resigning all these guys to at least make an attempt to get us from 24 million dollars over the cap currently to positive 60 million too make these signings.

I dont even care if you can hypothetically cut enough players to make this happen, I just want to see someone try it. Like list out who we cut to create this 84 million dollars. I'm curious what the roster would even look like.

I'll help you get started, We get 18.5 million from X getting cut on June 1st, after cutting Ogbah and the updated cap figure for 2024 announced yesterday were 26.6 million over the cap right now. Minus the 18.5 on June 1st were only 8.1 million over the cap. So your mission if you choose to accept it is to cut enough players off our roster to create 68.1 million in cap space for 2024.

I could tell you, but I can't learn it for you. - LOL

Everything you need to know is either in Fin Heaven's multiple posts on this subject that has been thrashed over a lot - starting after we lost our playoff game; or it is inside the FO where there is no access.

"Love it" or "Lump It".

Or you could fantasize about it, if that makes you feel better. - LOL

Please help me understand how the Dolphins can get enough cap space to resign Wilkins 24m, Hunt 12m, Elliot 5m, AVG 10m & get 10+m more for one of these FAs. That's 60+ Million in space, then we need money left to pay draft picks and UDFAs so prob another 10-15 mill. So your plan would need us to get to at least +60,000,000 under the cap and that's being conservative.

I want someone who talks about resigning all these guys to at least make an attempt to get us from 24 million dollars over the cap currently to positive 60 million too make these signings.

I dont even care if you can hypothetically cut enough players to make this happen, I just want to see someone try it. Like list out who we cut to create this 84 million dollars. I'm curious what the roster would even look like.

I'll help you get started, We get 18.5 million from X getting cut on June 1st, after cutting Ogbah and the updated cap figure for 2024 announced yesterday were 26.6 million over the cap right now. Minus the 18.5 on June 1st were only 8.1 million over the cap. So your mission if you choose to accept it is to cut enough players off our roster to create 68.1 million in cap space for 2024.

Sure.

You could get to about 43 million in the green with 1 more cut actually.

Tua extension ( modeled like Herbert or Burrows)
Cut Baker

Those 2 moves get us to like 2 million under.

Restructure Hill/Ramsey and Chubb ( 13/18/15, not in that order, in savings roughly.

Boom, you now have right around 40 million in cap space and only 1 player was cut.

That's not including the 18 well have post June 1st for the rookies and whatever else

We don't need 60 to sign all those players, as their 1st year cap #'s would be less then you stated.

The extra increase (13) in the cap not only made it doable, but I'll be surprised if we don't bring back every player Grier and MCD want to.

Last edited:
I never said anything about replacing Wilkins. Like at all. I said we could sign a Offensive Linemen and AVG.

Were going to need multiple guys that can play DT, we will prob draft one and have to look at UDFAs and guys who get cut.

We're in cap hell, nothing about this offseason is simple and easy.
Um, if Wilkins does not stay here he needs to be replaced. The question is who do you replace him with at 10mm per the list I linked?

If you meant who do you replace him with from a symbolic standpoint as a leader or top ranked DT, we both know you don't.

I love how all the sudden everyone is a cap expert when the season is over. You guys are hilarious.

Sure.

Cut Baker

Restructure Hill/Ramsey and Chubb ( 13/18/15, not in that order, in savings roughly.

Boom, you now have right around 40 million in cap space and only 1 player was cut.

That's not including the 18 well have post June 1st for the rookies and whatever else

We don't need 60 to sign all those players, as their 1st year cap #'s would be less then you stated.

The extra increase (13) in the cap not only made it doable, but I'll be surprised if we don't bring back every player Grier and MCD want to.
These restructures for Chubb, Hill and Ramsey is exactly the type of cap managment that got us into this mess.

We have to pay the piper eventually, the longer we kick the can down the road with these restructures the worse off we will be in the long run.

Do you think morgaging our future cap flexibility is worth trying to go all in next year? I don't, we don't have enough depth to realisticly think we're only these guys and a FA or two away from winning it all next year.

Teams like the Saints when they had Brees or the Rams when they got Stafford did this type of thing and got a ring out of it. I dont see our roster being good enough to justify the risk of further harming our cap situation in the future.

We're about to have an expensive QB, we havnt had to build a team with that kind of cap strain in a very long time. We need to be thinking about cap flexibility for the future not how we can find a crazy way to resign Wilkins for the sake of coming in 2nd place in the division again next year.

Um, if Wilkins does not stay here he needs to be replaced. The question is who do you replace him with at 10mm per the list I linked?

If you meant who do you replace him with from a symbolic standpoint as a leader or top ranked DT, we both know you don't.
Yea, we draft a DT would be my solution also sign some UDFAs at the position and look for someone to get cut before the season and sign him on the cheap.

These restructures for Chubb, Hill and Ramsey is exactly the type of cap managment that got us into this mess.

We have to pay the piper eventually, the longer we kick the can down the road with these restructures the worse off we will be in the long run.

Do you think morgaging our future cap flexibility is worth trying to go all in next year? I don't, we don't have enough depth to realisticly think we're only these guys and a FA or two away from winning it all next year.

Teams like the Saints when they had Brees or the Rams when they got Stafford did this type of thing and got a ring out of it. I dont see our roster being good enough to justify the risk of further harming our cap situation in the future.

We're about to have an expensive QB, we havnt had to build a team with that kind of cap strain in a very long time. We need to be thinking about cap flexibility for the future not how we can find a crazy way to resign Wilkins for the sake of coming in 2nd place in the division again next year.

You asked I answered.

No I appreciate your effort. At least you showed how it could be done, even if I think it's the wrong move.

Understood, and i understand that thinking.

Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should.

I personally believe our starting lineup is as good as any team in the NFL.

It took a ridiculous amount of injuries last 2 years to derail the team.

Looking at this team, if they can keep it together 2-3 more seasons, I believe they could win it all.

So, although may not be wise, I wouldn't be opposed to restructures etc. But I also understand what the consequences will be if they go that route and don't win it all.

After so long watching this team, I'm willing to take that chance haha

On the flip side, I believe we have our QB of the future. So if Miami were to play it smart, cap wise, with good drafting in 2-3 who knows. As long as you got your QB, you can figure out the rest

For starters, I wouldn’t start Wilkins at 24 or Hunt at 12. Secondly, NONE of the players I mentioned (outside FAs) are guys that I’m suggesting to give 10+ million average salary. Noah Fant and Damien Lewis? Rock Ya-Sin? None of those guys are pushing that number.

Sure.

Cut Baker

Exactly!

Every player I suggested is a potential second or even third wave free agent signing. We are not talking talking guys like Mike Evans, Michael Onwenu, Chris Jones, Snead, Jaylon Johnson, Patrick Queen, etc. Those are the bank breakers who are going to get PAID. No one is paying that kind of money for Noah Fant.

Back
Top Bottom