Report sheds new light on Miami Dolphins’ bold offseason, Jaylen Waddle selection | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report sheds new light on Miami Dolphins’ bold offseason, Jaylen Waddle selection

mrbunglez

Gator don't play no ****!
Club Member
Reaction score
The Miami Dolphins began negotiating a trade out of the No. 3 pick at least three weeks before executing the deal, but held off until they found a path back into the top 10, where they targeted a number of offensive players including the one they ultimately took, wide receiver Jaylen Waddle.

That’s according to NBC Sports’ Peter King, who recently spent time with Dolphins general manager Chris Grierand coach Brian Flores.

In King’s latest “Football Morning in America” column, he revealed that San Francisco 49ers executive John Lynchcalled Grier way back on March 3 about moving from the 12th pick up to No. 3, a selection the Dolphins acquired from the Houston Texans in the Laremy Tunsil trade………continue reading @

I hope it works out, Waddle needs to be really good or Pitts & Chase not so good to make this trade successful!

Grier went all in on the Alabama plan the last two years...The two very high picks used on Tua/Waddle vs Herbert/Pitts are how I see it!

Waddle and another first rounder is a way better option than what we were talking about after the National Championship, taking Devonta Smith at #3. Im thrilled we got my favorite receiver after Pitts, along with a first rounder we can use to move up to draft a QB if Tua doesnt work out. Smart trades and a Lucky Tunsil pick that has given Grier the chance to bring in real talent.

Cant wait for the season to start.

If Waddle is injured for more than 4 games this season. It was bad trade. Unless he leads the team in receiving while he is in.

If he does not lead the team in receiving. It was bad trade and pick. Please convince me otherwise if you disagree.

If Waddle is injured for more than 4 games this season. It was bad trade. Unless he leads the team in receiving while he is in.

If he does not lead the team in receiving. It was bad trade and pick. Please convince me otherwise if you disagree.
He's a rookie WR coming in and competing with seasoned pros. Amari Cooper came in and barely beat Crabtree for yards and had less receptions. It took Julio Jones a few years to lead the Falcons in receiving. I think your expectations are unreasonable.

Waddle and another first rounder is a way better option than what we were talking about after the National Championship, taking Devonta Smith at #3. Im thrilled we got my favorite receiver after Pitts, along with a first rounder we can use to move up to draft a QB if Tua doesnt work out. Smart trades and a Lucky Tunsil pick that has given Grier the chance to bring in real talent.

Cant wait for the season to start.
Yes...for now we can hope it works out.

But a future #1 in 2 years will not be worth missing out on great players now if the ones we took end up mediocre and the ones we let go become great!

We have to hope Waddle is not an injury prone player or this trade down was a disaster.

He's a rookie WR coming in and competing with seasoned pros. Amari Cooper came in and barely beat Crabtree for yards and had less receptions. It took Julio Jones a few years to lead the Falcons in receiving. I think your expectations are unreasonable.

What if Devonte Smith lights it up? What then? Every WR is different? Each of them have their own path to greatness? Will you admit it was a bad pick/trade? What if Pitts and Chase ball out too?

What if Devonte Smith lights it up? What then? Every WR is different? Each of them have their own path to greatness? Will you admit it was a bad pick/trade? What if Pitts and Chase ball out too?
I won't admit anything for probably 3 years unless it becomes very apparent we either struck gold or busted out. For the record, are you saying it was a bad move? If so will you change your tune if he outperforms the guys selected ahead of him or is on par? We still do have another 1st round pick from moving back.

Fit matters. For example, IMO Chase is a much better fit in Cincy than he would have been in Miami. Whatever Chase does there (and my guess is that he'll play well), I don't believe he would have done as well here. Pitts is tough b/c so much will depend on how well he's used. I think it's impossible to project how he would do elsewhere. Smith, though, is one guy who I think might have been a better fit in Miami than in Philly. Waddle is a great fit in Miami, but his impact will be about more than just his catches and yards. It will include what the rest of the offense does. And obviously how well Tua plays will affect that as well. So I don't think it's as simple as saying X number of catches = good pick, or fewer catches than whatever other player = bad pick.

Back
Top Bottom