Retain, Tag, Or Let Walk? - Frank Gore | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Retain, Tag, Or Let Walk? - Frank Gore

Not even sure why tags an option.
Apparently, OP doesn't understand the monetary ramifications of the franchise tag.

It wouldn't shock me if they hung the tag on James though. I wouldn't, but it wouldn't shock me.

Apparently, OP doesn't understand the monetary ramifications of the franchise tag.

It wouldn't shock me if they hung the tag on James though. I wouldn't, but it wouldn't shock me.

Yeah maybe James but I don’t think that jives with a rebuild if that’s truly what this is.

Yeah maybe James but I don’t think that jives with a rebuild if that’s truly what this is.
My thinking was if they "franchise" him, it is not necessary to do a multi year contract. It gives them another year to make a decision, or to coach up a younger replacement.

At this point, it is not known exactly what it would cost. Last year, O linemen tag was north of 14 mil.

Perhaps, but since he isn't under contract yet it's really his decision. If he wants to play out his career in his home town that's his call I guess.

It’s definitely his call but I wouldn’t want him taking time away from Drake and Ballage any further.

I prefer draft RT Rd2/ Rd3 area as opposed to resigning an inconsistent James especially if we are in full rebuild mode.

It’s definitely his call but I wouldn’t want him taking time away from Drake and Ballage any further.
I don't understand this line of thinking. RB is not a position that requires a lot of development, aside from pass blocking skills. Drake, IMO, is not now, nor will he ever be, a consistent inside runner. Do you just want to abandon inside running?

If you love Drake's big play potential, I would think letting someone else take the inside beating may prolong Drakes career, which, if NFL history is any indication, is already half over.

What? You may say. I believe the average career is less than 4 seasons.

My thinking was if they "franchise" him, it is not necessary to do a multi year contract. It gives them another year to make a decision, or to coach up a younger replacement.

At this point, it is not known exactly what it would cost. Last year, O linemen tag was north of 14 mil.

So at or near $15 mil for James for one year. I don’t know that I can stomach that. That’s a bit of a whoof number

I'd rather extend James and lower his cap number. A 3-year deal disguised as a 5-year deal backloaded, something the Patriots have done for years. Years 4 and 5 are club options that easily declined thus voiding the contract and getting a comp pick in return.

I'd also keep Gore and give the Titans a 6th rounder for Derrick Henry. Go to more a run-based team, still, lose without a truly elite QB but at least Miami could help Gore get into the HOF and keep the number of sacks down on Mr. Placeholder QB.

Retain until the gas can is empty. Studs are impossible to find on this team outside of Wake.

So at or near $15 mil for James for one year. I don’t know that I can stomach that. That’s a bit of a whoof number
I hear ya. That is a ton for a slightly above average RT. That's what makes it an almost no win situation.

If I'm not mistaken, there is a minimum payroll for a team, as well as a cap. That means you have to spend something somewhere next year.

I don't understand this line of thinking. RB is not a position that requires a lot of development, aside from pass blocking skills. Drake, IMO, is not now, nor will he ever be, a consistent inside runner. Do you just want to abandon inside running?

If you love Drake's big play potential, I would think letting someone else take the inside beating may prolong Drakes career, which, if NFL history is any indication, is already half over.

What? You may say. I believe the average career is less than 4 seasons.

You made my point for me. That someone you mention would be Ballage.

You made my point for me. That someone you mention would be Ballage.
Forgive me for saying so, I like Ballage, but he has only a handful of professional carries. We have no idea whether or not he would be a consistent inside runner. His running style leaves doubt in my mind.

The cap minimum is calculated over a 4 year period (@89% of the cap). That's why you see teams like Indy with $122M in cap space.

Back
Top Bottom