RG3 Comment | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

RG3 Comment

LouPhinFan

It's ok to say "I don't know".
Club Member
Reaction score
The NFL—where he’ll likely be a top 10 pick—can wait.

“You gotta have a plan, but realize that plans don’t always work out. Plan B is the NFL,” Griffin says. “Whenever you ask me what are my plans, the first thing that comes out of my mouth is not to be an NFL player. I want to go to law school, I want to be a lawyer, maybe a sports agent. That’s the plan. All of that other stuff doesn’t matter until I’m done here at Baylor.”

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...in-iii-named-sporting-news-player-of-the-year

:err: Uh, yeah. No thanks on the Baylor kid. We need to move on and concentrate on getting Matt Barkley.

yeesh...is that comment from today or something??? sure doesn't sound committed to playin pro football...

Yea, there was a whole article on grantland the other day on RGiii. It had similar quotes. http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7332286/heisman-winner

Griffin seems to relish his overachievement, the clearing of various obstacles, not to mention the bevy of options he now has: Between law school and a final year of eligibility at Baylor and the potential of becoming an Olympic sprinter and the NFL draft (not to mention his engagement to a girl he met at Baylor), he has, as he says, many doors, and he insists the NFL is the last of those doors.

Article did come back to say this:
I don't know if Griffin will put professional football aside for one more season at Baylor, or if he will put professional football aside for a shot at the Olympics, or if he will someday put aside professional football to become a lawyer or politician. I honestly don't think he knows what his future holds at this point. "I can't lose focus, because I've got so much lined up," he says. "There's so much pressure on me to be successful. And that's matched by the pressure I put on myself."

I feel like he is a smart kid that may be over playing his hand here. It's like he's trying not to be over anxious. I think once his name is called in the top 10, he'll take on that leadership role he had at Baylor. Yea, these are kinda red flags. But, a good kind of red flag. At least he's not stealing lap tops or accepting money from boosters.

Yea, there was a whole article on grantland the other day on RGiii. It had similar quotes. http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7332286/heisman-winner

Article did come back to say this:

I feel like he is a smart kid that may be over playing his hand here. It's like he's trying not to be over anxious. I think once his name is called in the top 10, he'll take on that leadership role he had at Baylor. Yea, these are kinda red flags. But, a good kind of red flag. At least he's not stealing lap tops or accepting money from boosters.

IMO it's even more of a red flag than the laptop theft. After watching Newton play this season, I don't care whose laptop he had or how much money Auburn gave him. It has not effected on his play at the pro level. Not being focused on being the best franchise QB you can be, that's much more of a red flag than something that happened when a kid was 19 years old.

If the kid wants to say he wants to be a lawyer or a sports agent then that's fine but he better say that right after saying "I want to be the best franchise QB I can be and lead my team to multiple Superbowls, then after that..."

No doubt, he's going to regret those comments. I just don't think he means them as much as he is saying them. To me, he's trying to present himself as better than just a NFL athlete. Wait until he gets an agent and an interview coach and see how his statements change.

Also, I'm not trying to be some rg3 defender. I just have this weird feeling that this is who we end up with, so I am probably being erroneously apologetic for him.

There's a lot of disturbing stuff in this article.

STRONG buyer beware on Robert Griffin. To him, football is just a game, and the NFL is just a business. That's fine for a human being but as an NFL franchise you're not looking for great human beings, you're hunting for great assets. I hate to de-humanize it that way but it's the truth. You read his thoughts about what the NFL is and what it means, read him talk about how it's not very important to him, it's a Plan B, all these other things come first.

If I draft him, I'm almost more afraid of him having success than him not having success. If he has success he gets to decide to walk out on this petty "spectacle" (his own words) on his terms, as a conqueror. He gets to move on (now with lots of money from his rookie contract) to bigger, better and more important things. He knows football is just a game, the NFL is just a business, that it doesn't mean much. He'll get what he wants out of it and then bolt.

The more I read about him the more I admire him as a human being, and the more I'm wary of him as an NFL franchise's asset.

I disagree. He is driven to be successful at whichever endeavor he pursuits. This kid has a Masters at the age of 21 while playing football. That by itself is an incredible accomplishment. If he opts to enter the NFL draft I see him coming as fully committed, not one who will run away to do something else. The question is, will he enter the draft?

I disagree. He is driven to be successful at whichever endeavor he pursuits. This kid has a Masters at the age of 21 while playing football. That by itself is an incredible accomplishment. If he opts to enter the NFL draft I see him coming as fully committed, not one who will run away to do something else. The question is, will he enter the draft?

He'll be committed, but for how long? That commitment isn't indefinite. What happens if he struggles like a Rich Gannon and has to keep his head down, keep working and get through it until he 'gets it'? Is he going to outlast his rookie contract (which as a top 5 pick would pay him $20 million and set him for life), knowing full well that the NFL was always "just a spectacle" and always just his "Plan B"?

He could be out of the NFL in 5 years, of his own choice, with $20 million in the bank, heading back to law school.

He'll be committed, but for how long? That commitment isn't indefinite. What happens if he struggles like a Rich Gannon and has to keep his head down, keep working and get through it until he 'gets it'? Is he going to outlast his rookie contract (which as a top 5 pick would pay him $20 million and set him for life), knowing full well that the NFL was always "just a spectacle" and always just his "Plan B"?

He could be out of the NFL in 5 years, of his own choice, with $20 million in the bank, heading back to law school.
The same is true of any top prospect. Not necessarily in these terms but medically or inability to transition. Like any selection it's a risk but if he commits and he's your man, you take that chance.

I am a huge RGIII guy and that quote does bother me.

There are so many other ways to say that your education is important to you and what not and a potential NFL career could be short so an education is important.

That is why we have the draft process for the next few months.

RGIII is starting to sound like Myron Rolle; meaning he wants more out of life then just football.

Good luck to them both.

^^^This.

The guy has his life in order = POSITIVE. He realizes that the NFL isn't the only option he has. When a person isn't forced into something because they have no other choices, i.e. nearly every NFL player, they will become disgruntled.

These comments make me want the guy even more. Why? Because if he does choose football he will do so because he WANTS to and not because he HAS to.

You're missing the trees for the forest. IF he chooses football he will do so because he wants to do so and if this kid is the person everyone thinks he is, he'll give 100%. The same as if he chooses Law School etc.

Let me get this straight.

We are bashing some kid for realizing there is more to life than football? Geee....let me not draft him.

Rather have some kid that will play football because it is what he WANTS to do, not because it's his only method of survival like most other football players who leave early with no college degree.

And for those saying if he struggles he will just give up and call it quits. I highly doubt he will just give up, kid has too much heart, and even if he calls it quits, would you rather have a man recognize that the NFL life is not what he wants, or get some struggling QB day in and out hang around because NFL is all he has.

Back
Top Bottom