Ricky just cost himself a lot of money! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ricky just cost himself a lot of money!

Phins34

Favorite Player: Sammy Smith
Reaction score
Ricky Shaving his head has to be one of the dumbest moves he could have done. Though having them or not won't affect his performance on the field. What it will affect is his marketablility. There are only a very few people in the NFL that any average person could recognize without their helmet and uniform on. Michael Vick, Brett Favre, and Ray Lewis are on this very small list. Ricky WAS on it. He will lose a lot of money by doing this. Since the NFL makes you wear a helmet and uniform it makes it hard for companies to want you to be their sponsor because many people wont even recognize who it is. As you may have noticed Ricky Williams did a lot of endorsements last year from video games to commercials. He won't be able to now because he will be unrecognizable to the non NFL fan. Jamal Lewis set the 2nd highest NFL rushing record last year and I gurrantee probably not one non NFL fan could recognize who he is without all his crap on. You do not see Jamal endorsing any video games or commercials (and he had one of the greatest seasons of all time). This was a really dumb move for Ricky, because no he just blends in with everyone else in the NFL, no matter how well he may perform on the field he will not make nearly as much money as he could.

I'm sure he is really concerned considering all the money he has already made, and will continue to make just with his nfl salary alone.

When he can possibly make millions and millions more, yea i would be concerned. Especially when all it takes is to tear and ACL and his football career is over

Kind of harsh to put it that way, wouldn't you say? IMO it's a personal decision and ultimately his business to do what he wants with his appearance. Not everything has to be about money and marketability.

I think he did it for the team, he will be more productive not being tackled by his hair.

He was only tackled by his hair a handful of times. It's not that big of a deal.

let somebody pull you down a few times by your hair while your running at full speed and then say no big deal

You guys obviously don't see my point. If it was you that could possibly making millions of dollars it would probably make more sense

if he plays as good or better this season as he did in 2002 he wont need the dreads to be marketable his numbers will do the talking

besides the masive change might help his marketability

Last edited by a moderator:
Ricky could retire now... buy a house, a car, all the food and clothes he would need for the rest of his life, then give 75% of his money to charity, and STILL have enough to last him until he died. I'm sure he's not worried about money. In case you haven't noticed, Ricky's personality is somewhat different than most NFL players. Who knows what he was thinking when he cut his hair. It does kinda suck that he cut it though, just because I thought it looked cool.

I said in the on the "Ricky's dreads gone" thread that this could affect his marketability. Part of the reason that Ricky was famous was because of his dreads, and now he doesn't have that.

For those who said he "did it for the team," his dreads did not affect his play. He was only tackled by them a few times, and a bunch of those times it happened out of bounds after the play.

Ricky thinks he won't be recognizible without them, but when he arrives pictures of the new look will circulate, and everyone will know what he looks like without dreads.

Originally posted by Phins34
where are all the endorsements for preist holmes and Jamal Lewis?

And LaDainian Tomlinson, Deuce McAllister, Marvin Harrison, Champ Bailey, Patrick Surtain, Anquan Boldin, Torry Holt, etc.

Being someone that has dreadlocks

Originally posted by Phins34
Ricky Shaving his head has to be one of the dumbest moves he could have done. Though having them or not won't affect his performance on the field. What it will affect is his marketablility. There are only a very few people in the NFL that any average person could recognize without their helmet and uniform on. Michael Vick, Brett Favre, and Ray Lewis are on this very small list. Ricky WAS on it. He will lose a lot of money by doing this. Since the NFL makes you wear a helmet and uniform it makes it hard for companies to want you to be their sponsor because many people wont even recognize who it is. As you may have noticed Ricky Williams did a lot of endorsements last year from video games to commercials. He won't be able to now because he will be unrecognizable to the non NFL fan. Jamal Lewis set the 2nd highest NFL rushing record last year and I gurrantee probably not one non NFL fan could recognize who he is without all his crap on. You do not see Jamal endorsing any video games or commercials (and he had one of the greatest seasons of all time). This was a really dumb move for Ricky, because no he just blends in with everyone else in the NFL, no matter how well he may perform on the field he will not make nearly as much money as he could.

And has cut my dreadlocks at least three times before I finally let them grow for the past 7 yrs... I don't think you begin to understand the spiritual side of cutting your off you hair. It goes alot farther or deeper than just money, though you make some valid points about his financial future and recognizabilitys running the way he does, he'll be marketable, dreadlocks or not. Besides it's f#@king hair, it can grow back. The Edge cut his and it's growing back.

It's well known that the NFL doesn't want to promote individuals and the helemts hides people's identities, but you fail to realize, one's personality also affects his appearance or how a person is percieved In the short list of athletes you mentioned, Ray lewis is more infamous than famous IMHO. Hell he was superbowl MVP and Disney world chose not to use him as the endorser. He's wroth with scandal, aside form his superhuman defensive ability. Jamal Lewis, seems to be more aloof and self effacing so like Marvin Harrison they quietly can shatter the record books, but not be recognized, because they dont have all those on or off field antics to make you famous or infamous or stick out insomeones mind. RW IMO, will always be recognizable because of his extremely quirky personality, the wedding dress debacle, the draft debacle, and most importantly his support and openness about depression and Paxil.

Hell endorsing Paxil alone or any other anti depressant prescription drug will net him millions, because the Pharmecutical companies have much more money than Nike to spend..trust me, he'll always be approached to endorse the drug he's using because of his status and his community activities like Pop warner football and so forth.

In terms of if he suffered a career ending injury...well chances are he won't be getting too much endorsements dreadlocks or not, after he leaves the game unless he went into broadcasting (which we all know he wont)...Just remember all the Bo Jackson hype, he was the biggest thing since slice bread in the NFL, hell he disappeared off the face of the earth shortly after his career ended with that injury and his nike endorsement was up. So point is, irregaurdess of his hair, if RW suffered a sever injury that ended his career or affected his playmaking ability, it would most certainly affect his endorsements. That's the way of business

exactly my point iceblizzard. I'm not condeming his decision, I just think it is definitely more lucrative to have kept them. When Ricky Williams led the NFL in rushing 2 years ago, he quickly became one of the NFL's most recognizable players. The reason for these was his performance + the dreads. A lot of people perform well in the NFL but don't have the marketablility that Ricky had. No matter what he does in the NFL next year he wont have that "crossover" potential that all the professional athletes crave, that he once did. Why do you think NFL players are jealous of NBA players, because they are so much more recognizable and can go on to make shoes, clothes, commercials, whatever. The reasone these people are playing in the NFL is to make money anyone...anyone who tells you it's all about the love for the game is bull****. It's not anymore, it's all about money. If it wasn't 90% of thse athletes would be doing something other than playing football in their life, but since playing in the NFL means you become a millionaire, this is the path they chose. Why do people go to college as opposed to just graduating high school??? because you make more money with a college degree. No one goes to college just for fun. Think about it. If you could make the same amount of money as you do now without a college degree, would you actually spend all that effort taking college courses knowing that you could stop right now and have the same job as you would without a degree.

Back
Top Bottom