Ricky just cost himself a lot of money! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ricky just cost himself a lot of money!

I have no problem with someone dissagreeing with me. But, when someone posts a reply on here saying this topic is stupid and then continue to keep posting, why would you waste your time. I wouldn't. It obviousl must have been a good topic to get 3 pages worth or posts

re:not as marketable:
Peeps-you need to see the larger picture of things (and not be so gee golly serious about something like the loss of one's dreads)
If Mr.Williams can have another break out year like the 1,800 +, he may not have to worry about the Madden cover jinx ---no dreads, no cover, no jinx :goof: :goof: :goof:

Originally posted by Phins34
Ricky Shaving his head has to be one of the dumbest moves he could have done. Though having them or not won't affect his performance on the field. What it will affect is his marketablility. There are only a very few people in the NFL that any average person could recognize without their helmet and uniform on. Michael Vick, Brett Favre, and Ray Lewis are on this very small list. Ricky WAS on it. He will lose a lot of money by doing this. Since the NFL makes you wear a helmet and uniform it makes it hard for companies to want you to be their sponsor because many people wont even recognize who it is. As you may have noticed Ricky Williams did a lot of endorsements last year from video games to commercials. He won't be able to now because he will be unrecognizable to the non NFL fan. Jamal Lewis set the 2nd highest NFL rushing record last year and I gurrantee probably not one non NFL fan could recognize who he is without all his crap on. You do not see Jamal endorsing any video games or commercials (and he had one of the greatest seasons of all time). This was a really dumb move for Ricky, because no he just blends in with everyone else in the NFL, no matter how well he may perform on the field he will not make nearly as much money as he could.

IMO that is a stupid post. You are saying the money is more important than the game. Yeah, i want a RB that everyone can recognize, but not at the expense for more money.

I am glad he did it.

I believe that R. Williams has a chance at the MVP next year I believe that he is that talented. If he does or if he is in the running of the MVP he will be marketable and have endorsements.

Originally posted by dusty_hog
Lets get back to the Henson/Rivers/Brunell/Fiedler discussion..oh who cares anyone Wanny is still the coach and this team is doomed until he's gone.

Yeah that's what I want too. More of the same 3 topics and gloom and doom. Who needs variety anyway.

Actually I'd rather have the QB bitching, because this is a stupid topic to discuss, a mans personal hygiene.

How is it stupid?? It's not about the man's personal hygeine, as you so boldly admonished. It's about the effect cutting his hair could have on his bank account and nothing else. And it's a valid question. I didn't see anything about "he smells bad....he looks unclean....etc" in that first post.

Anyway, I don't agree with the thread starter that the move was "dumb". As long as it's what he wanted to do, that's the most important thing.

And I don't think it will hurt his marketability too much because he's still got that abnormal personality. And as long as he stays among the elite RBs, he'll get his chances. Andre Agassi is a perfect example. Ricky already turns down alot of endorsements anyway. So maybe that was part of the appeal of cutting it all off.

And you can bet that he WILL be all over ESPN as soon as he's infront of a camera and his new look is shown. As you accurately pointed out, those dreads are part of his persona. So it will be news.

Remember, he still has that very long beard on his chin. So he might look super evil to boot. :)

You all seem to be very bored with the offseason so why dont you quit arguing about whether this is a stupid topic and go pick on some bills fans. Or go beat up some Patriots or something worth doing

Originally posted by CirclingWagons
Nah, Ricky will be fine, now he can do Neutrogena commercials with Jason Taylor

:rofl:

I personally believe this is nobodys business! If Ricky wants the dreads gone.. so be it. It is HOT in south florida and im sure those dreads do not help in this heat during august and september! He said he did it to not be recognized so apparently he doesnt care about being popular by the sight of him and getting more money. AND he said it is a symbol of change. New haircut, new running back for 2004. I take him at his word for that. Granted he didnt have as great a year this past season as the one prior but it was still a dang good season! So he can do whatever he wants to do with HIS hair.

Since I have nothing else to argu about, I might as well chime in...

You think this move was dumb... but as everyone stated, it's ultimately his personal preference. If he wasn't capable of 1000+ yards, who would really care? I'm sure if you were his agent, you would tell him this money issue you have... and it would still be his hair to cut.

I haven't noticed Ricky as any marketing hog anyway so your idea of his loss is overexaggerated. PLUS the fact that companies that are using him are trying to appeal to the "NFL fan" so there is a good chance that he is still recognizable for his on the field performance.

Your statement about Jamal not being recognized is one-dimensional. Jamal Lewis is VERY recognizable in the Maryland area... you should understand that there are regional markets that pay large amounts of money to market local celebrities. So just because you don't see any Jamal commercials in FL doesn't mean there aren't any....

Originally posted by Phins34
Ricky Shaving his head has to be one of the dumbest moves he could have done. Though having them or not won't affect his performance on the field. What it will affect is his marketablility. There are only a very few people in the NFL that any average person could recognize without their helmet and uniform on. Michael Vick, Brett Favre, and Ray Lewis are on this very small list. Ricky WAS on it. He will lose a lot of money by doing this. Since the NFL makes you wear a helmet and uniform it makes it hard for companies to want you to be their sponsor because many people wont even recognize who it is. As you may have noticed Ricky Williams did a lot of endorsements last year from video games to commercials. He won't be able to now because he will be unrecognizable to the non NFL fan. Jamal Lewis set the 2nd highest NFL rushing record last year and I gurrantee probably not one non NFL fan could recognize who he is without all his crap on. You do not see Jamal endorsing any video games or commercials (and he had one of the greatest seasons of all time). This was a really dumb move for Ricky, because no he just blends in with everyone else in the NFL, no matter how well he may perform on the field he will not make nearly as much money as he could.

Back
Top Bottom