Ricky just cost himself a lot of money! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ricky just cost himself a lot of money!

Financially I am sure ricky is fine and has more poeple that are much smarter than us to advise him. Moreover EVERYONE has the "Ricky Dreads" so it didn't make him as unusual as years past. I also think it shows a sacrifice for his trade and his team. Love it, and wish everyone (Mare and Middison with their BS $$ issues) had the same attitude and heart.

Originally posted by Phins34
exactly my point iceblizzard. I'm not condeming his decision, I just think it is definitely more lucrative to have kept them. When Ricky Williams led the NFL in rushing 2 years ago, he quickly became one of the NFL's most recognizable players. The reason for these was his performance + the dreads. A lot of people perform well in the NFL but don't have the marketablility that Ricky had. No matter what he does in the NFL next year he wont have that "crossover" potential that all the professional athletes crave, that he once did. Why do you think NFL players are jealous of NBA players, because they are so much more recognizable and can go on to make shoes, clothes, commercials, whatever. The reasone these people are playing in the NFL is to make money anyone...anyone who tells you it's all about the love for the game is bull****. It's not anymore, it's all about money. If it wasn't 90% of thse athletes would be doing something other than playing football in their life, but since playing in the NFL means you become a millionaire, this is the path they chose. Why do people go to college as opposed to just graduating high school??? because you make more money with a college degree. No one goes to college just for fun. Think about it. If you could make the same amount of money as you do now without a college degree, would you actually spend all that effort taking college courses knowing that you could stop right now and have the same job as you would without a degree.

Even before 2002, Ricky was still a very recognizible player, even though he was never a Pro Bowler and never even had 1300 yards in a season. He was recognizible because of the hype he got coming out of college, and the dreads helped make him recognizible. I think that if Ricky never had dreadlocks, he would never be in all of these commercials, on the cover of video games, etc.

Jamal Lewis just had a 2000 yard season, and I would say that most NFL fans would not know who he is if they fell over him on the street.

Ricky was the most recognizible running back in the league. Priest Holmes, Jamal Lewis, and LaDainian Tomlinson have either been as productive or more productive in the past two years but how many commercials are they in? How many ads do you see them in?

I don't think that the dreads are the sole reason why Ricky was marketable, but I definitely think they contributed to his marketability.

We all Like to criticize people for going only for the money, etc.... But that's only because it isn't our money and it is very easy for us to say someone is a bad person because all they care about is the money. In actuality, if it was anyone of us, we would be doing th same damn thing. Everyone single person is selfish in their own mind, but likes to think they aren't when they don't have to show publicly that they are being selfish by going where the money goes. Would anyone here take not take job that pays them twice as much or more if it was the exact same job. Of course you would. You would be an idiot not to. I'm just sick an tired of people criticizing athletes for being so money hungry when any one of us where in their shoes we would do exactly the same thing.

This is something nice to talk about rather than bitching over who will be our starting QB for the next few months

This is something nice to talk about rather than bitching over who will be our starting QB for the next few months

I agree.............As long as its not JAY:goof: :chair: :roflmao:

It is not about money. It is about value. If you have no money, the value you'd place on a million dollars is quite high. If you have 20 million then the value you place on another million is lower.

If you are anonymous then the value you place on anonymity is low. When you are famous, the value you place on anonymity is higher.

My guess is that the value RW places on anonymity is higher than the value he places on a few more million.

I disagree

Originally posted by iceblizzard69

Even before 2002, Ricky was still a very recognizible player, even though he was never a Pro Bowler and never even had 1300 yards in a season. He was recognizible because of the hype he got coming out of college, and the dreads helped make him recognizible. I think that if Ricky never had dreadlocks, he would never be in all of these commercials, on the cover of video games, etc.

Jamal Lewis just had a 2000 yard season, and I would say that most NFL fans would not know who he is if they fell over him on the street.

Ricky was the most recognizible running back in the league. Priest Holmes, Jamal Lewis, and LaDainian Tomlinson have either been as productive or more productive in the past two years but how many commercials are they in? How many ads do you see them in?

I don't think that the dreads are the sole reason why Ricky was marketable, but I definitely think they contributed to his marketability.

Edgerrin James was picked before him, lived up to the hype had dreads, but never really got any endorsements, ohh I forgot he has goldteeth.

Dreadlocks are so common place right now, it may have a little to do with it, but not as big as you'd think. This guy was highly touted coming out of college, quirky as hell, he did interviews with his helmet on, unusally aloof, people thought and still think he's gay of bi-sexual. His perosnality was and is soo dominant or anti-dominant, he was literally the NFL freak for his weird behavior. That's what help seperate him form the pack, the guy is eccentric as hell and he's the opposite of your typicall football player jock type. he goes backpacking across Europe to do some soul searching, photographs models and runs his own webpage with a daily diary/journal with very intimate thoughts. He such a people person, that his popularity will always make him recognizable...

btw.. Can someone say supercuts???

Speaking of Ricky's website, he hasn't updated it since the first Jets game in week 3

Actually I'd rather have the QB bitching, because this is a stupid topic to discuss, a mans personal hygiene.

It was his decision. If you read part of what he said, he said something to the effect of, "less people will recognize me when I walk down the street." He did it in part so people WILL LEAVE HIM ALONE. The guy just wants a little privacy when he walks to grab a paper or whatever.

Secondly, if he was that poor or interested in money and money and money, he knows how big a part of a member he is to the Fins, why doesn't he play Clinton Portis and threaten to holdout for more money? Because Ricky isn't like that, he's a team player.

I'd much rather have him known in 20 years when he's done and gone for a 2000+ yard season or his Super Bowl rings rather than, "yeah I remember him, the dude with the dreads. Good running back he was...I think"

If the dreads are such an big part of advertising, why doesn't Mike McKenzie of the Packers have any endorsement deals? He's got longer dreads than Ricky did.

Why don't many of the NFL players have big endorsement deals? Becuase they wear helmets and it is hard to recognize them? Well, I guess if they didn't wear helmets and pads the only way to recognize them would be when they're lying up in a hospital bed. It's a team league, there isn't as many and there will never be as many single superstars that are known more around the world than say Shaq, Kobe, A-Rod, or Sosa. That's the way it is, so be it.

Lets get back to the Henson/Rivers/Brunell/Fiedler discussion..oh who cares anyone Wanny is still the coach and this team is doomed until he's gone.

#1 Mike McKenzie is no near the type of player ricky williams is
#2 Clinton portis was making Garbage compared to Ricky

#1 Mike McKenzie is no near the type of player ricky williams is
#2 Clinton portis was making Garbage compared to Ricky

#1-Making an example of how dumb this topic is.
#2-Ricky is scheduled to make 3.75 mil or around there next year. If he wanted the money so bad, he could get between 5-8 on another team.

And one other thing,

How many national ads did any member of the Patriots team have? Maybe 1 for Brady, but thats about it.

I'd rather have a team of individuals that want to make their money on the field and win championships (with a good coach as well), than have people on movie sets, commercial sets, or video game covers.

Originally posted by dusty_hog

Actually I'd rather have the QB bitching, because this is a stupid topic to discuss, a mans personal hygiene.

It was his decision. If you read part of what he said, he said something to the effect of, "less people will recognize me when I walk down the street." He did it in part so people WILL LEAVE HIM ALONE. The guy just wants a little privacy when he walks to grab a paper or whatever.

Secondly, if he was that poor or interested in money and money and money, he knows how big a part of a member he is to the Fins, why doesn't he play Clinton Portis and threaten to holdout for more money? Because Ricky isn't like that, he's a team player.

I'd much rather have him known in 20 years when he's done and gone for a 2000+ yard season or his Super Bowl rings rather than, "yeah I remember him, the dude with the dreads. Good running back he was...I think"

If the dreads are such an big part of advertising, why doesn't Mike McKenzie of the Packers have any endorsement deals? He's got longer dreads than Ricky did.

Why don't many of the NFL players have big endorsement deals? Becuase they wear helmets and it is hard to recognize them? Well, I guess if they didn't wear helmets and pads the only way to recognize them would be when they're lying up in a hospital bed. It's a team league, there isn't as many and there will never be as many single superstars that are known more around the world than say Shaq, Kobe, A-Rod, or Sosa. That's the way it is, so be it.

Lets get back to the Henson/Rivers/Brunell/Fiedler discussion..oh who cares anyone Wanny is still the coach and this team is doomed until he's gone.

Ok who should be drafted/traded as a young qb and who should start?:confused:

With the dreads on Ricky im sure every now and then when hes gonna hit a hole a defneder must tug on his dreads slowing him up and he'll eventually get tackled. Their has to be a little improvment on hitting those holes not much but a little with the dreads gone. Like i said not a big improvement but maybe a lil more then last seasons production.

Back
Top Bottom