Ricky vs john riggins | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ricky vs john riggins

volk said:
Can I borrow that crystal ball of yours for awhile? I have some lottery questions I'd like answered :shakeno:
Yeah I guess if you say Ricky's gonna suck, your crystal ball must not be working. Don't waste money on the lottery.

But the guy wasn't busting his head into a concrete wall so yeah, teach your kid that when times are tough and your word is on the dotted line and your teammates are depending on you that it's OK to quit.

Why people think its' ok to be a quitter is beyond me. Sounds like loser mentality...

--Ross

Rick Needs A Ring, To Even Compete With Riggins..]

He Shined In The Biggest Game Of His Career...

Ricky?

bryan allen said:
Its laughable the whining fans can do over what Ricky did last year as if it effects them personally. Try to remove yourself emotionally and look at this objectively. Ricky is a great running back and him coming back fresh in game 5 would be a tremendous boost if we havent dug our self into a 0-4 hole by then.

You also think you can see the wanny situation clearer than Ricky, blame him and call him a quitter when you dont know anything about the coach player relationship. You know what the media told ya, thats it. I dont know either but I can say this from the way it appeared in the previous 2 years I would have quit on that idiot myself(joe collier for an OC LMMFAO).

There are things in my life i wished I'd quit on alot sooner than I did. Jobs, women, dreams all you folks standing in judgement of Ricky must be

perfect

There's a difference between quitting when people aren't relying on you and when people are. A team relies on it's stars. In this case less than a month before he told the team he wanted to be more of a leader. I have a family to support. My family is my team. I can't just quit b/c people are relying on me. I run a team at work. If I walk away without any notice people lose their jobs, their income. Being an adult means responsibility. It means doing what you say you're going to do. This is a child's post. The selfish point of view that you should do whatever makes you happy regardless of promises you've made or lives you affect.

Further my analysis of the benefits of RW coming back are not based on how it affected me. It's based on how it affects the team. It's a no brainer to bring RW back if you assume he is an 1800 yd back, but that assumption is very much a homer opinion. The only Las Vegas line I have seen has an over/under on his production at 500 yards. 500 yards of production isn't much for guy who brings as much baggage and distractions as RW does. Add in the salary dispute. Everybody keeps saying he owes 8.6 million and will do what we say, but we said minimum salary and his agent is saying that won't happen. If an arbitrator rules we have to pay him 3.7 million, would you trade 500 yards of production for the ability to resign Randy Mcmichael?

If those 500 yards included 12 TDs I would. Everything is situational. And for you to say Ricky has to take what ever BS dave wanstoopid hands him because of his coworkers is wrong. Dave put the entire load on Rickys back because hes to stoopid to gameplan or adjust or think his way into a position to win a game. So him and the other 21 starters stood around and watched while dave abused his best employee to the point where he said funk it. I dont blame him one bit and in retrospect if forced changes that look to have the FINs on the right track.

Pri one in my life is my own persoanl happiness. If I am not happy im no good to my family or co workers.

SABA-TOOTH said:
Rick Needs A Ring, To Even Compete With Riggins..]

He Shined In The Biggest Game Of His Career...

Ricky?

Isn’t that every bodies argument when they say marino is not as good as elway,young Montana etc. football is a team sport no one player can take over every aspect of a game like Jordan did in basketball

Ricky is a much more talented, more athletic RB than Riggins ever dreamed of being. What Ricky did to us was wrong, but that doesn't take away from how gifted he is. If Ricky plays a few more seasons, he will blow by Riggins' career stats. Ricky is also a better reciever than Riggins was. All of this is JUST MY OPINION.

SCall13 said:
Ricky is a much more talented, more athletic RB than Riggins ever dreamed of being. What Ricky did to us was wrong, but that doesn't take away from how gifted he is. If Ricky plays a few more seasons, he will blow by Riggins' career stats. Ricky is also a better reciever than Riggins was. All of this is JUST MY OPINION.

;) mine too

bryan allen said:
If those 500 yards included 12 TDs I would. Everything is situational. And for you to say Ricky has to take what ever BS dave wanstoopid hands him because of his coworkers is wrong. Dave put the entire load on Rickys back because hes to stoopid to gameplan or adjust or think his way into a position to win a game. So him and the other 21 starters stood around and watched while dave abused his best employee to the point where he said funk it. I dont blame him one bit and in retrospect if forced changes that look to have the FINs on the right track.

Pri one in my life is my own persoanl happiness. If I am not happy im no good to my family or co workers.

Actually, it was on RW. At the beginning of camp the plan was to have him come out on third downs. RW nixed that, he didn't want to come out. So Dave told him we'll monitor your carries, but I'll leave it up to you. If you watched any of the post game press conferences that year, the question was almost always asked. Dave would say something like "in the 3rd quarter RW had x number of carries we pulled him for a stretch, but he wanted back in". One game (only one that I remember hearing) Dave overruled him and kept him out. And remember all this crap about RW feeling overused came out later. RW admitted that the reason he left was fear over the failed drug test. This was the trigger. He knew the workload all off season. He only quit right before the season b/c of the drug test. I find it incredibly naive that people try to make RW action appear reasonable. He is anything but.

And I don't know where you get 12 TDs coming from. That's homeristic hopefulness at its best.

An adult often has to do things that they don't want to do. A real man considers more than just himself when he makes decisions. If your #1 priority is your individual happiness then I hope nobody ever makes the mistake of relying on you.

riggins

Here's the #'s:

11,352 rushing yards, good for 13th All-Time.

104 rushing TD's, good for 5th All-Time.

2,916 carries, good for 10th All-Time.

He finished among the Top-Ten in the NFL in carries 6 times, yards 4 times, and TD's 5 times.

He had 5 1,000 yard seasons.

His best year was 1983 when he rushed for 1,347 yards and set a then NFL record for TD's with 24.

His career spanned from 1971 to 1985. He sat out 1980. He played from 1971-1975 with The Jets and from 1976-1979 and 1981-1985 with the Redskins.

The following is what he is most remembered for, his big game performances:

1982 playoffs:

25-119-1 TD in win vs. Detroit.

37-185-1 TD in win vs. Minnesota.

36-140-2 TD's in NFC Championship win vs. Dallas.

38-166-1 TD in Superbowl win vs. Miami.

1983 playoffs:

25-119-3 TD's vs. LA Rams.

36-123-2 TD's in NFC Championship win vs. San Francisco.

26-64-1 TD in Superbowl loss vs. Raiders. (The darkest day in my life as a Redskin fan.)
profootballreference.com

dolfan2010 said:
i do think there is no reson to compare their stats or history...Riggins was way better...but they both took a yr off and came back.....ricky was working w/ the team through mid july..so its less than 11 mo. ago people,:eek:

I have to say this again...

Riggo took a year off and then came back. He did not "quit" his football life during that year off. He continued to workout and stay in shape. He associated with his teammates during that time. Part of the reason he quit was to be able to move to another team (this happened prior to FA). Even when he left, he was considering a return to the game. He still loved the game.

When an injured player misses a year, his rehab continues thruout the season and off-season. He is working out (according to his rehab schedule, of course) and doing things to keep his head in the game. He still loves the game.

RW quit and left his "football life" behind. He has lost somewhere around 35-40 pounds. He has not participated in any type of football activity for nearly a year now. He stopped caring for the game until perhaps recently. He has a much longer road ahead of him to get back to "football shape" (both physically and mentally) than Riggo or any player who is put on IR...These are completely different cases. This is not to say that he can't do it, just it will be much more difficult for him to comeback successfully. The biggest issues will be keeping his head in the game, and balancing his rehap back to playing shape without getting too excessive and injuring himself.

You just can't compare these situations...like apples and oranges...

Ricky isnt taking care of my children or in charge of my retirement account. He "plays" football for my team which has no impact or bearing on my life.. The only people that have anything to say about his return are his teamates who understand what you dont. And that is he is gifted and if he only plays for one down you have to try and improve the team anyway you can. When I was pickin teams on the sandlot did I care that the best player was the poor kid who smoked dope, dad was an alchoholic and sister's a hore, no I picked him anyway because he could make my team better than any other player available.

As far as Personal happiness you just dont get it maybe one day you will mature and catch on to the reality of what im sayin. As far as adults "having" to do things they dont want too i think Ricky made it abundantly clear last year that he didnt "have" to play in the NFL. Which he didnt.

See how this works, you view of the situation is YOURS and not necessarily correct because you think YOUR way is the only way. We'll agree to disagree.

bryan allen said:
Ricky isnt taking care of my children or in charge of my retirement account. He "plays" football for my team which has no impact or bearing on my life.. The only people that have anything to say about his return are his teamates who understand what you dont.

That's BS, the fans are the ones who pays the bills. That gives them as much right to have a say as anyone. What the hell does it matter if it has a bearing on a fan's life?

--Ross

LarryFinFan said:
RW quit and left his "football life" behind. He has lost somewhere around 35-40 pounds. He has not participated in any type of football activity for nearly a year now. He stopped caring for the game until perhaps recently. He has a much longer road ahead of him to get back to "football shape"

People who think Ricky is going to return to the man we had 3 years ago are dreaming. I can hope, but I just don't see it.

--Ross

rafael said:
Actually, it was on RW. At the beginning of camp the plan was to have him come out on third downs. RW nixed that, he didn't want to come out. So Dave told him we'll monitor your carries, but I'll leave it up to you. If you watched any of the post game press conferences that year, the question was almost always asked. Dave would say something like "in the 3rd quarter RW had x number of carries we pulled him for a stretch, but he wanted back in". One game (only one that I remember hearing) Dave overruled him and kept him out. And remember all this crap about RW feeling overused came out later. RW admitted that the reason he left was fear over the failed drug test. This was the trigger. He knew the workload all off season. He only quit right before the season b/c of the drug test. I find it incredibly naive that people try to make RW action appear reasonable. He is anything but.

And I don't know where you get 12 TDs coming from. That's homeristic hopefulness at its best.

An adult often has to do things that they don't want to do. A real man considers more than just himself when he makes decisions. If your #1 priority is your individual happiness then I hope nobody ever makes the mistake of relying on you.

the only thing that really matters is your family, friends, and being kind to your fellow man and nature. maybe ricky is immature and selfish but i think he generally tries to be a good individual. how many people aren't immature and selfish in american consumer culture would probably be a better question? he screwed up, doesn't he get a second chance. we gave one to laurence phillips and others. is what ricky stands for that horrible. he is a quitter and has called himself a fool. but has says he loves to play the game. i think it's all the drama and ego that comes w/ it that he doesn't like. but once the wistle blows he will once again play like he always played and the competitor will take over. ricky never quit at texas, new orleans, or miami until last year. when he was on the field he never took plays off like moss. he accumalated more carries in 2 years than any running back in the history of the nfl and was ready to come back for more until they took away his stash. don't mess w/ a man's stash.

Back
Top Bottom