Rivers to Miami in 06? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rivers to Miami in 06?

Hummer23 said:
I'm a big Philip Rivers as you can tell by my sig. Lets just say Brees has another good year and our QB experiment fails. We could send one of our wideouts and a draft pick to get a franchise QB. Would would you think if that happened and would you make that trade?

I would definatly trade Booker and a first day pick for Rivers. He was the best QB that came out of the draft that year IMO and he has been in the NFL for 2 years adjusting to the speed of the game. Its not like he is a bust or isnt playin because he sucks... its just that the QB that was ahead of him when he got there ended up being a probowler... he didnt have a chance. Salary cap wouldnt get hurt as much because SD already gave him his signing bonus. We just got to pay him his salary (which is still a good amount, but not inconcieveable) He is gunna be great and I would try my hardest to get him on my team.

Nasty

They would likely not be interested in Booker, but I would trade our 1st round pick for Rivers as well.

dolfan348454999 said:
Depends which WR and which pick. They would probubly want a lot. Plus salary cap would become an issue.
i agree. but if the chargers were smart, they would not trade rivers for a nobody. he was a top 5 draft pick. its not his fault hes not starting, brees has played is at a top level. (atleast he did last season, and in this situation we assume he had a very good season this year also).

what WR on your team is worth that high a prospect?
Chambers, yes, but the fins wont trade him. (unless they get a pick)
booker, no, you dont trade good young tallent for old, past their prime, players.
Boston, NO!. even if he has a very good season, i dont think the chargers will want him with his past steroid use, and injuries.

so unless the fins give up a good pick & a WR, or chambers, i dont see it happening.

GRYPHONK said:
If you are talkng about Rivers theoretically he most certainly did.

How many games did he start or even play in last year? He only played in 1. When they drafted him he was supposed to start since day 1 in camps. Because he held out that cost him the starting job and inevitably yes he missed 15 games of playing time.

I meant he didn't hold out into any of the regular season games.

GRYPHONK said:
Plus I don't care too much to have a guy who will sit out a year over a matter of 1-2 million dollars on an already offered 39+million contract.

I don't care for that crap. He put his own selfishness ahead of the game.

I know some of you will bash me for this, but what he did in my eyes was no different then what Ricky did. Sure, it appearantly seems to be more accepted amongst fans and his teammates simply because it's a financial matter.

But honestly, he was supposed to be their starting QB since day 1. He got greedy and let his teammates down. He decided to holdout and inevitably cost him a whole season. He missed a full year much like Ricky missed a full year because of his reasons.

So in essence he did quit on the team as well due to greed. Atleast Harrington promised to not holdout. You know what? He didn't get the contract he wanted but he kept true to his promis and didn't hold out.

I question your facts on this one. The contract he was offered was horrible. It had a big number, but the performance levels he had to reach were all but unreachable. If anything, the SD chargers are the ones that let the team down. Even the contract Rivers finally signed was weak. I'll bet that if you were to compare it to the one that Eli signed you'd see that the monies Rivers actually received was way smaller. I generally tend to favor management in contract disputes, but the contract they offered way far below the market value of the pick.

XXXSURTAINXXX said:
Watch when this guy gets ready to comeout how people will flock to him. This uy is on track to be better than Vick. Wide Reciever? This guy is a true QB.

I like what he brings to the field too, BUT the quickness of his release and his downfield reads need to be improved if he wants to be a qb at the next level. You obviously saw him play, you didn't notice these things?.....

I'm a huge Rivers' fan and I would make any of the trades proposed here, but I don't think there's much chance that SD would even consider any of them. In the end I'd think we'd have to overpay to get him. So much so that we'd be better off passing.

and what's more, the offense that he plays in doesn't ask the qb to do too much, its very run heavy and option heavy. Can he make the jump? I wont say that he cant, but he needs to work things out w/ his passing game. Jacobs is more nfl ready at this point......

FinFan90 said:
Im not a big Rivers fan, I think if teh QB situation here doesnt work, we will try and get Omar Jacobs next draft. I think that guy is an awesome player.

I'll pass on Jacobs but I like that picture of AD you got. That man is going to be a beast

phillyphinphan said:
I like what he brings to the field too, BUT the quickness of his release and his downfield reads need to be improved if he wants to be a qb at the next level. You obviously saw him play, you didn't notice these things?.....

Proper coaching and a little time will remedy all of that. Experience will improve his downfield reads. Im usually not sold on college QB's they are a risk in the 1s round like Olinemen...But I like this youngster.

I dont know why its a better situation to draft a Qb than to pickup Rivers. Rivers will be in the NFL 2 years and will be ready to start (or should be), a rookie is going to be lucky to be able to play at all. Rivers is a legit talent, lets get real the guy was taken really, really high in the draft and is still a bigtime tradable player. This 'I wouldnt give up a first, I wouldnt part with booker (give me a break on that one) for him' stuff is dreamland. Funny that a Bills fan seemed to be the only one living in reality. This guy is a better talent than Alex Smith that everyone wanted and he would have been the #1 overall pick if he was in this years draft. That or he would have went #2 to us.
If Feeley doesnt work out I would love to pick this guy up. He's special. He had an odd throwing motion but was smart, had every single intangible u want and was extremely accurate. If they've been coaching him up in SD he should be ready to start for a team next year.

Vince Young '04: 148/250; %59.2 comp; 1849 yds; 7.4 y/a; 12 tds; 11 ints
Omar Jacobs '04: 309/462; %66.9 comp; 4002 yds; 8.7 y/a; 41 tds; 4 ints

I'm not a big numbers guy, but this should atleast tell that Young has a ways to go in the passing dept.

Oh yeah V. Young: 167 car 1079 yds 14 tds; Jacobs: 95 car 300 yds 4 tds
But Young's rushing ability was never a dispute of mine......

rafael said:
I question your facts on this one. The contract he was offered was horrible. It had a big number, but the performance levels he had to reach were all but unreachable. If anything, the SD chargers are the ones that let the team down. Even the contract Rivers finally signed was weak. I'll bet that if you were to compare it to the one that Eli signed you'd see that the monies Rivers actually received was way smaller. I generally tend to favor management in contract disputes, but the contract they offered way far below the market value of the pick.

Here's a question then for yah. Compare what Eli actually made last year to what Rivers actually made last year and what is the difference?

Back
Top Bottom