Rizzi Meeting With The Packers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rizzi Meeting With The Packers

The Dolphins basically leaked to everyone that it was going to be Richard or Flores before they even interviewed Rizzi. They told him five minutes after his interview he wasn't getting the job. They told the media five minutes after that that it was going to be Flores. Now we're hearing that the assistant head coaching position (which had been Rizzi's job for a while) will likely be handed to Jim Caldwell.

Understandable that he'd want to go see what his options are after that sequence of events. He knows he has no path to advancement here. Also, when the Packers hired LaFleur there was a lot of scuttlebutt that he's not ready for the job and he doesn't have the presence to lead the team. In that case, a guy like Rizzi could be a great pickup for him. Assistant head coaching experience.

I wanted him to stay, but I also have reservations as he had a role with Philbin and a more prominent role with Gase. I do think his eye for kickers/punters is top 10.

The Dolphins basically leaked to everyone that it was going to be Richard or Flores before they even interviewed Rizzi. They told him five minutes after his interview he wasn't getting the job. They told the media five minutes after that that it was going to be Flores. Now we're hearing that the assistant head coaching position (which had been Rizzi's job for a while) will likely be handed to Jim Caldwell.

Understandable that he'd want to go see what his options are after that sequence of events. He knows he has no path to advancement here. Also, when the Packers hired LaFleur there was a lot of scuttlebutt that he's not ready for the job and he doesn't have the presence to lead the team. In that case, a guy like Rizzi could be a great pickup for him. Assistant head coaching experience.
This seems similar to the Sparano debacle. Ross is interviewing a hoped for new coach when Sparano had not been fired. Classless by Ross, but I attributed that to Ross's inexperience.

How the heck could you know all that stuff with regards to timing of when they told rizzi etc?

No one knows if or when Rizzi was informed. Richard was the leading candidate last weekend then silence until more broke this weekend.

I know I'm in the minority on this one -- but I think it's time Rizzi moved on.

I think he may be tad overrated in these parts as a teams guru (see the Pats game)

but an amazing talent scouting/developing kickers.

Of course I reserve the right to be wrong.

How the heck could you know all that stuff with regards to timing of when they told rizzi etc?

He was interviewed on Friday afternoon and it was reported by 'insiders' on Friday night that Rizzi was informed he would not get the job. It was completely immediate.

I'm not actually trying to slam the organization here. It's probably better that they told him straight up that they decided to go in another direction, but I can see why that would also make him feel like he got a sham interview just to try to retain him in part of his current role.

This seems similar to the Sparano debacle. Ross is interviewing a hoped for new coach when Sparano had not been fired. Classless by Ross, but I attributed that to Ross's inexperience.

I don't think it's at all similar. Adam Gase was fired two weeks ago. Completely different scenario. Nothing classless about this.

Back
Top Bottom