Ronnie brown next bo jackson? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ronnie brown next bo jackson?

Altho its unlikley, why does everyone think its rediculous Ronnie could be as good as Bo. Didnt we draft Ronnie expecting him to be great, and hoping for him to be legendary?

Ronnie can be better than Bo. He can catch the ball. And one other important factor might come into play. HE DOESN'T PLAY BASEBALL.

MelbournePhin said:
i remember Bos last game vs. cincy. i think it was on NBC as a matter of fact. all i remember is the post game interview and seeing that nasty limp

I remember that game like it was yesterday. Sad, sad moment. I still cringe thinking about how awkward his body went when he got hit.

Buddwalk said:
You guys must really like bo...the guy never had a 1000 yard season, the most touchdowns hes ever had in one season was 6 his rookie season, and he never caught more than 16 balls a season
As a runningback if you say hes great which he wasnt he was overrated...if you guys are gonna say well if was healthy he could of been great, so could of Curtis Enis but you dont hear anybody talking bout him!

Some people should start saying stuff like Ronnie Brown could be the next Curtis Martin...which i hope when ronnies over 30 hes still pumping out rushing seasons like that guy

Couldn't disagree more. If your going to throw around stats to justify his career at least take into consideration that his baseball career cut into the football season. Bo was by far and away the best athlete that I have ever witnessed. Name another athelete in any sport that at one time was considered the best at the perticular sport. No other athelete in major sports has made the probowl\allstar pinnicle of there sport. Over rated you say......WOW

Jimi said:
Altho its unlikley, why does everyone think its rediculous Ronnie could be as good as Bo. Didnt we draft Ronnie expecting him to be great, and hoping for him to be legendary?

Sometimes people just get too dug in to their positions. Jackson was arguably the best athlete I've ever seen and he's reached mythic porportions, so that's a tough standard. But production wise he wasn't that prolific. He got injured just as he was starting to live up to the hype. I expect/hope that RB will be more productive than BO. Also RB is an incredible athlete in his own right. He is a bit of a freak and is probably a notch above even most NFL players. Time will tell if that gap is as large as it was with Bo. (probably not, but with more production and a couple of SB victories, he could be mythic as well)

Buddwalk said:
Those were rumors...he quit cause he lost his passion for football

truthfully i think he lost patience and couldnt take losing anymore

Ask Barry. As for Bo Jackson, just watch the tapes. Enough said

dolfan4good said:
No Way this is correct. Payton was a much tougher runner. Not once did he EVEr run out of bounds to avoid contact. He would lower is shoulder on the sideline and pick up an extra 2 yards.
If thats your biggest beef than you've obviously not watched much of Martin at all. Hes plenty physical, plenty tough, and doesnt run out of bounds. If anything I need to be slapped for sticking up for a jet player *slaps self*

Since no one ever answered my question in post 46 ill post it again: Wasnt that Seattle game on MNF the game where Bo broke 2 90 yard runs? I think he became the first ever to do so twice in game.

Awsi Dooger said:
I usually agree with you but not this time. Payton was a dynamo, the most aggressive RB I've ever seen. He was ten times mored physical than Curtis Martin but not as fluid. In his early years Walter had plenty of spectacular plays, usually running over one defender then eluding two or three more. Plus he had that athletic arrogance the superstars possess, holding the ball away from his body in one hand while making the great runs. I think Gale Sayers is the best pure HB I've ever seen, but Payton got the most out of his ability and was far superior to Curtis Martin.

What was this, a Bo Jackson thread, right? As I've posted before, Bo was a freak but not nearly to the degree of Marcus Dupree who was a freshman at Oklahoma in '82 the same year Bo Jackson was a freshman at Auburn. Simply no comparison when both were healthy. The well received recruiting book was called The Courting of Marcus Dupree, not The Courting of Bo Jackson. Dupree may have been the most heavily recruited high schooler of all time. I was new at USC that year and John Robinson was absolutely desperate to replace Marcus Allen with Marcus Dupree.

Bo was a slasher while Dupree could do that plus the quick elusive moves. Also Dupree was much bigger than Bo and only a shade slower, if slower at all. I still can't find Marcus Dupree highlights on the internet from his frosh year at Oklahoma. The younger fans would be amazed at his combo of size, speed and moves, all necessary to string 7 straight games with at least a 70 yard TD run.
Youre right Dupree was more highly recruited. But who had the better career by far? And Dupree never made it as a pro or as a collegiate so while he may have been a better athlete then bo at 1 point, theres no doubt who the majority of people will always remember. Most people hear "marcus dupree" and say "who?"

I cant speak as much on Payton's early years except what Ive seen on like NFL films and stuff like that since i first started watching football in '84 when i was 6, near the end of walter's career. But based on what I have seen their styles were very similar. Martin has also said as recently as an interview in NY newsday 2 years or so ago that he patterned his game after payton so I dont know how much different they can be? Maybe Payton was slightly tougher, slightly better but Martin is a very very similar back.

When I was in the millitary, howie long came to our base, and had a lunch in with some of us. My buddy, a huge football fan, had to ask him about bo.

Howie responded "he was one of the greatest running backs I had ever seen. The guy was simply amazing. People have no clue what he could have done if he wouldn't have gotten injured"

Buddwalk said:
I hope not...Bo Jackson was an amazing athlete but not an amazing running back sorry man. Way over rated bo was!!! I hope ronnie browns the next barry sanders!

That's insane. Bo was awesome as a RB, especially considering he missed the first 8 games every year b/c he was playing baseball. If he just devoted himself to football and had not been injured he would have been in the Hall of Fame, hands down.

As to the Brown - Jackson comparison, Brown does not have near the speed Bo had. Bo was faster than Deion and ran a legit 4.2. I've watched players since OJ in the 70's and I've never seen a faster player. However, Brown does have great pass catching skills so he may be a bit more versatile than Bo.

Bo only had 1 90 yard run in the Seattle game. He had another 90 yard run against Cincinnati one year I think which made him the first RB in NFL history to have 2 90 yard runs in a career. I think Ahman Green tied that mark this past year.

Back
Top Bottom