Ronnie's a bust | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ronnie's a bust

As a friend of mine who owns Thoroughbred racehorses said, "You can't be great if you can't run", meaning that it doesn't matter how fast a horse is if it's not sound (ie, healthy) enough to race. That goes for football players, too. They can't be great if they can't get on the field.

Still doesn't mean he is a bust or not a good player.

Ronnie is effective when he's healthy. Yet every season there is the worry of some injury Seems like every year or every other year. I doubt we'll see him back.

I dont mean bust as in completely useless like Reggie Bush but a bust as in he didnt meet expectations. Being taken #2 he should be averaging over 1000 yards a year, look at AP in Minny. Ronnies only toppled it once and barely albeit (2006 - 1,008 yards). I know hes a beast and hes semi productive but lets be honest he has not produced like a #2 overall pick should. On top of that hes been injury riddled every season. We should feel damn lucky that Ricky came back otherwise our ground game would rely on Ronnie alone, until hes lost for the year that is. Then Hilliard and Cobbs would carry us, could you imagine that? This isnt a hate Ronnie thread, more like be realistic about Ronnie. Thoughts?

This post is a bust.

Ronnie (when healthy) is SOLID by all accounts.He's just not an elite back.There's only afew of those anymore.These two-headed running attacks take "ELITE" out of the conversation.
You make a good point. Brown and Williams have teamed very well and Brown would have to stay healthy AND be featured more often to get the numbers that Madisonfan is probably expecting.

Who cares? Perhaps you should take a look into the NFL today. This day and age you want 2 great backs and that's what we have. If Ricky wasn't here, Ronnie would put up great numbers. But I could give 2 ****s about numbers. Having Ricky and Ronnie keeping each other fresh gives us a much better chance to win than running one player into the ground.

I can`t believe I just read thru this entire thread. Definitely don`t need to be reading this negative crap the day before the season opener, that`s for sure.

Brown may be injury prone but he is definitely not a bust. He`s pretty damn effective when he`s on the field.

As a friend of mine who owns Thoroughbred racehorses said, "You can't be great if you can't run", meaning that it doesn't matter how fast a horse is if it's not sound (ie, healthy) enough to race. That goes for football players, too. They can't be great if they can't get on the field.

By that logic Tom Brady is a bust too.

Without ronnie and his ability to run the wildcat there is no way we go 11-5 in 08 to make the playoffs

By that logic Tom Brady is a bust too.

Without ronnie and his ability to run the wildcat there is no way we go 11-5 in 08 to make the playoffs

Tom Brady has missed one season. He hasn't really missed a game otherwise. Ronnie Brown misses a couple games every year even when he isn't out for the season.

Yeah, he has had his injuries, but when he's healthy, he is a physical beast. Very smart and multifunctional to be able to run the Wildcat. Biggest problem I see with Ronnie is his hesitation once he gets the ball. If you watch Ricky, he is already on the move when he receives the handoff, and he already knows where he is heading. Ronnie tends to stop, juke, and then take off, but at this level, that's already too late and someone has already closed on him. Watch for this during the games, and you'll see what I mean.

Of the entire first round that year, who else were we going to get? Aaron Rodgers maybe, but would he have been the same QB he is today without all those years of learning behind Favre? Demarcus Ware, Roddy White, Shawne Merriman or maybe Antrel Rolle? As several others have pointed out, clearly that wasn't the strongest draft in the history of the NFL. The first round the year before produced Eli, Rivers, Steven Jackson, Fitzgerald and Reothlisberger to name a few. I'd say of the players we could have come away with, Ronnie has probably served us pretty well.

okay, ty wiki....we need rb and qb...only one pro bowl rb came out of first round and that was ronnie. the only other position of need was qb and heck 20+ teams passed on aaron rodgers. he got to sit a couple seasons behind a HOF qb before playing so who knows what wouldve happened with him if he had been thrown in the fire from start....maybe david carr..ish. gore and marion barber were PB RB's that were drafted later but neither were 1st round talents per se coming out of college. all in all it turned out to not be a super weak draft but at number 2 they talked about 5 choices we could go, ronnie, caddy, benson, braylon, or rodgers.....im thinking we made the best choice...going on rodgers would not be the same thrown into the fire. ted ginn...now that was a bust, even though at the time i MICHAEL loved the pick

Aaron Rodgers maybe, but would he have been the same QB he is today without all those years of learning behind Favre?

Do you really think Brett Favre went out of his way to help Aaron Rodgers at all? He may have learned from watching, but Brett certainly wasn't the mentor take you aside and give you pointers type of QB, as he was too busy hosting his own melodrama. He even said in the media that it wasn't his job to go out of his way to help Rodgers.

When I saw Aaron Rodgers in his first action (in for an injured Favre against the Cowboys) it was pretty evident the guy was a natural talent and simply had instinct for what to do on the football field. He may have struggled some in early days in Miami, but his talent would have flashed all the same. I think its entire feasibly to think that we could have gotten him and gotten an effective RB later in the draft or even FA, as good RB's don't have to be drafted top 10.

I'm not saying I think Brown was a bad pick, as he has helped this team be competitive whenever he is on the field, but Rodgers would have certainly been a great pick too. We weren't the only ones who overlooked him though, and I still find it funny that Smith was supposed to be behind him until scouts came away awed by his workouts.

one of those threads we see every few months ... awesome.

when healthy he's elite - and arguably the best player on our team. he abuses people.

did he ever live up to the #2 overall pick? no. is he a bust? absolutely not.

Back
Top Bottom