Rumor in Philly | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rumor in Philly

To go to be true for us? Turn that around! To good to be true for them.

1) Reid up to his old sheet again, thinking Saban is Wanny, and trying to bend Saban this year.

2) Why wouldn't they try to make that deal with SF? They probably did, and Nolan say FU, and slammed the phone in their ear.

3) A whole boatload of picks dont mean jack sheet if your getting ripped in the process. Dont look at the amount, look at the amount of immediate impact players you will get. Thats why there is a value chart for this process. First round quality guys are immediate impact players on your team, thats why they are 1st rounders. 2nd and 3rd rounders are guys that have immediate starting potential to week 5 starting potential. Thats why they are 2nd to 3rd rounders. 4th and 5th rounders are late to next year fillers. 6th and 7th rounders are practice sqaud guys and long term projects.

4) So, we give up Caddy, Ronnie or Cedric to trade all the way down to 31st and get the 4th to 6th best guy at their respective positions? And lose 900 - 950 points in the value of our #2 pick, and this is good for us?

5) I would rather have one immediate contributor that you know will be good, then to have a bunch of guys that can fill some holes and be potential starters in the mid season.

6) 1.1 million in cap space? Thats plenty of room to fit 5-8 guys onto our roster. Its called creative contracting. You give the #2 pick likely to be earned incentives, that he will recieve in bonuses, that wont effect our cap this season, and he turns them into his salary, then you lay in some unlikely to be earned incentives, that takes two consecutive seasons to be turned into hard money. But, the major thing is, only the #2 pick will be the one that will need to be contracted in this order. Once you hit 20th on down, you would be surprised how little these guys get paid.

7) No matter what you think, this trade that is rumored, would be about as bad as the Herschel Walker trade. Not as bad, but dam close. If Jason Cole actually siad that would be a good trade for Miami, he needs to put the crack pipe down, and quit writing for TSN. Because he is truly in over his head if so.

dolphan north said:
And let's face it. This is not a great year to have had a crappy season. There are plenty of solid players throughout the draft, but no superstar that comes along once in a blue moon that people want to trade up for. I'm not knocking the players at the top, it's just that this is not a season where there is a superstar. If you don't believe me, check the other forums where we have debated to death who should be picked with our high choice. There's so much debate because there are many very good players near the top, but no definite superstar.

The good news is Saban will make a good choice with the pick, and if he trades it, it will only be for the right value.

Put the 40 oz. down. No superstar? Braylon, Caddy, Alex Barron, Mike Williams, Mark Clayton, Charlie Frye. All these guys will be immediate impact players on their teams. I guess I should ask, what is your definition of a superstar?

I'd do the trade in a heartbeat too, but it ain't never gonna happen. If there was a Brett Favre clone available at #2 maybe so, but there isn't.

I Love this. All these people on here saying they would do it in a heartbeat, are the same ones who turn right around and criticize Wanny for sending our 2nd to Philly for Feeley. Hypocrits!

900 - 950 points that we lose in this "GREAT" trade, would be equivelant to a 17th to 18th pick overall in the draft. That is giving up one immediate impact player that you are so quick to dismiss, and get your bunches of 2nd and 3rd round picks. Now, you all know why your philosophies are flawed, and I thank the lucky stars that none of you have any influence on our draft.

When I first read this, it seemed UNREAL. I still think it's a little far fetched, but when you think about it... Their 1st is really like an early 2nd. Their 2nd is really like an early 3rd. etc. etc. I highly doubt it'll happen, but if it does it'll be great for us in terms of stocking up picks which is what Saban said he wans to do. But the problem is we'll be getting quantity over quality.

If that happens saint nick would surely snag mcpherson in the late second or early third

I started all this

Hello,

Wow, I didn't realize this would start such a discussion. But I feel a little obligated to respond to some of the comments.
I am not one of those who criticized the trading of the 2nd rd pick last year. I took a cautious viewpoint,and I continue to do so.
Those who argue for the sake of losing impact players this year, I would respond that this year impact players tend to run deeper in the draft, without consensus impact players at the top. Most folks evaluating talent out there say there isn't much gap between the first round and 2nd round.

With that said, trading out could become regretful if Brown, Edwards, Rodgers, Smith, Benson, and Williams (cady and mike) produce.

But with need for playmakers in several spots on both sides of the ball, you get a lot of choice deeper in the draft.

Based on pick strength formula, Philly might actually have to trade more to meet the "value" of the 2nd pick. However, most folks out there agree that this year's top 5 players are not up to par with previous drafts. That all remains to be seen.

I would prefer to see a trade down, and Minnesota might actually be a better candidate than Philly. But I thought it was interesting that Jason Cole, a long time writer on Miami, said he would jump at that trade. He is aware of the value issues at the top of the draft as well.

I would be open to any trade that brought multiple picks in the first three rounds.

Lee2000

if im not mistaken, didnt the cowgirls build their dynasty of a draft pick coup? does anybody remember the caliber of picks they recieved?

I agree, but if trading, I would rather have it be with Minnesota or Dallas, the betters of the double first rounder, although SD would be ok too, but move us way down with their 2nd first rounder, but we would pick up more picks if trading with them. So, that is where you will get your value guys in the second and third. But, they would have to leverage about their whole draft to move up to #2. That wont happen, but it could if we moved down gently through the first round.

Im not opposed to losing some value, but 900 or so points, thats way to much. Because, at the same time, if you can get your targeted players at a lower pick, you can save money in the process. a 100 point lose isnt bad, but just not 900. You can get too much value with that 900 points that you would be giving up. I would rather have to spend the 450k to sign a guy like that at the 17th to 18th pick, then give it up.

While I agree that we need some guys to fill in the gaps, it is going to be a 3-4 year process for Nick to clean up wannys mess, so there is no need to rush to any major decisions. We can rotate in some great players, and when the mess is cleaned up, have us one hell of a solid club. I would rather have two first round choices in the top 20 to build from, and give up the rest of the draft. We can always sign undrafted free agents to plug a gap here or there.

Your points are well taken

I don't disagree with most of your points. Rome does not have to be built in one day. I would prefer the slow move down and make trades with mulitple clubs. That would be great for entertainment on draft day as well.

If we stay at the pick, I think Saban has been great at causing huge speculation. I just hope he is up to the drama he has started.

Lee2000

if we trade down 2 philly we lose 900-950pts and get an unproven RB so we dont do it. Y would we do this, because we are Miami Dolphins- really dumb people ever since 1974

That would be a great trade for Miami. It fits right into sSabans philosophy. He wanted a bunch of young guys to eventually replace the lder guys on "D" and we get more players for the money compared to the signing bonus paid for the #2 overall. If the trade is on the table, we do it. If we cant trade out of #2, Saban will make the best of it.

Lee2000 said:
I can not recall where I first heard this, but the Philly rumor was the most intriguing rumor out there I have heard for trades in the draft. It would involve Philly trading their 1st, two 2nds, and two 3rds this year, plus a 2nd next year, to move to our 2nd spot. I actually asked Jason Cole if he would do that trade and he said he would without hesitation. However, he added that Philly does not do business in that manner and he didn't believe the rumor. Well, here is wishful thinking. I would do that trade in a heartbeat. That would be a major trade for Miami and they could address multiple areas of need. Do I believe such a trade would occur. No. But wasn't it interesting that TO recently postured for more money. Could that stir Philly to move up and get a Braylon Edwards or Mike Williams? You never know.

Lee2000

:roflmao:

This would be the next WORST trade since Mike Ditka traded his ENTIRE draft for Ricky Williams.

Lee2000 said:
I don't disagree with most of your points. Rome does not have to be built in one day. I would prefer the slow move down and make trades with mulitple clubs. That would be great for entertainment on draft day as well.

If we stay at the pick, I think Saban has been great at causing huge speculation. I just hope he is up to the drama he has started.

Lee2000

I like it too. I cant recall the last time that the top three selecting teams havent said a word of who they are looking at. Usually, by now, the 1st team is eyeballing their guy, talking contracts, working out the details. SF has narrowed their list to four guys. I love it! Got everybody guessing. ROFLMAO.

Then, Saban is bringing in 20 guys a day, workin em out. Same with Romeo. 4th - 32nd have no clue what the top 3 are eyeballin. This is great.

So, yes, Nick is playing a good chess match, but, I am even more impressed with how well the top 3 are playing the chess match heading into the draft. It will be good entertainment draft day. Maybe no moves will be made draft day for the top 3 spots, but then, all three spots could end up trading down. Nobody knows, but one thing is for sure, I sure hope all three of these guys aren't all show, and no bite. Meaning they go after some undeserving pick, if they have to select. I dont want another 03 draft. That was disgraceful, the top 5 picks were horrendous.

Back
Top Bottom