Rumor: Sources have told me that Miami is talking to the Lions in regards a trade | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rumor: Sources have told me that Miami is talking to the Lions in regards a trade

Cliff Avril would still be my guess. Could be they're looking to dump Ginn for him, like js55 suggests. Avril did indeed look good in LB drills but the Lions drafted him anyway. In fact if I recall at the time Conuficus who writes with us at Universal Draft had Avril graded as more of a 4-3 LB...he went even further than making the guy a 3-4 OLB. He liked him in space a lot.

I just don't understand why Detroit drafted him and cast him immediately as a 4-3 DE. And this year, they continued to do it.

His situation reminds me of Randy Starks' situation in Tennessee. The coaching staff there (which included Jim Schwartz) watched him grow up with them and concluded that he's probably miscast in their system and is more of a 3-4 LDE. Sure enough he goes to Miami as a 3-4 LDE and he catches fire, one of the best in the business. It could be that Jim Schwartz has concluded the same thing about Cliff Avril, about his being miscast, and he's willing to let Avril go rather than continue trying to squeeze a square peg in a round hole...just like Tennessee let Starks walk.

As for his production in Detroit, most consider him to have been a disappointment there. They might think to ask for more than a 6th round pick...but they might also just accept Ted Ginn.

Cliff Avril would still be my guess. Could be they're looking to dump Ginn for him, like js55 suggests. Avril did indeed look good in LB drills but the Lions drafted him anyway. In fact if I recall at the time Conuficus who writes with us at Universal Draft had Avril graded as more of a 4-3 LB...he went even further than making the guy a 3-4 OLB. He liked him in space a lot.

I just don't understand why Detroit drafted him and cast him immediately as a 4-3 DE. And this year, they continued to do it.

His situation reminds me of Randy Starks' situation in Tennessee. The coaching staff there (which included Jim Schwartz) watched him grow up with them and concluded that he's probably miscast in their system and is more of a 3-4 LDE. Sure enough he goes to Miami as a 3-4 LDE and he catches fire, one of the best in the business. It could be that Jim Schwartz has concluded the same thing about Cliff Avril, about his being miscast, and he's willing to let Avril go rather than continue trying to squeeze a square peg in a round hole...just like Tennessee let Starks walk.

As for his production in Detroit, most consider him to have been a disappointment there. They might think to ask for more than a 6th round pick...but they might also just accept Ted Ginn.

I sure hope your right CK!!! Miami really needs to find OLB help ... the Starks/Avril comparison is spot on ... but the original poster suggest a player and picks from Miami, which could actually mean CJ "MEGATRON" .. not sure if Avril is worth a player and picks ... but i do agree with you about your list of players form Detroit ... lets say it is for Avril, what would you expect Miami to do @#12 if indeed Miami does trade for Avril ...

I sure hope your right CK!!! Miami really needs to find OLB help ... the Starks/Avril comparison is spot on ... but the original poster suggest a player and picks from Miami, which could actually mean CJ "MEGATRON" .. not sure if Avril is worth a player and picks ... but i do agree with you about your list of players form Detroit ... lets say it is for Avril, what would you expect Miami to do @#12 if indeed Miami does trade for Avril ...

or could be a 7th and ginn for avril instead of giving up a 4th for him for example.

NOticed your sig about Griffen...and the other day I heard rumbling regarding him as a SOLB.

PLEAASSEE I HOPE WE TRADE UP AND GRAB BERRY! He is the man! I'm a freshman at UT and I got to see him play each home game. Oh and I even had a sandwich with the guy and told him he needs to play for the Dolphins! haha he just laughed it off..

Yea, to get berry would be awesome. That one playmaker on D can make everyone else look so good. Maybe we can take Simms off their hands.

PLEAASSEE I HOPE WE TRADE UP AND GRAB BERRY! He is the man! I'm a freshman at UT and I got to see him play each home game. Oh and I even had a sandwich with the guy and told him he needs to play for the Dolphins! haha he just laughed it off..

Hey Marley your smoking too much of that thing in your sig. Berry is not worth a whole draft. We aren't trading up, that's for sure. All signs "if this was true" would point to our hole at SOLB. Cliff Avril makes sense. Then we can target either Dez Bryant or Earl Thomas at #12.

Earl Thomas if Dez Bryant doesn't fall.

Hmm. One reason Johnson could be expendable is cause like already discussed, the Lions still have decent WR'S after him that work better with Stafford.

Now think of it this way.

If the Lions come out of this draft with SUH/ McClain or Griffin and Brown..... Would that be a nice concelation prize to losing Megatron?

I would be very excited if we traded for Avril. He is a guy I followed in college and I wanted the fins to draft him to be a linebacker. I was kind of surprised when Detroit drafted him to be a 4-3 DE because I don't feel it's a great fit for him. He's done alright for a 3rd round pick playing DE but this guy can be a special player as a 3-4 OLB. Let's make it happen!

Hmm. One reason Johnson could be expendable is cause like already discussed, the Lions still have decent WR'S after him that work better with Stafford.

Now think of it this way.

If the Lions come out of this draft with SUH/ McClain or Griffin and Brown..... Would that be a nice concelation prize to losing Megatron?

Absolutely, especially if that Suh at #2 and McClain at #12 includes Tedd Ginn Jr in that Calvin Johnson trade.

as for calvin johnson i'd say the minimum we'd get him for barring some huge firesale like he punched the head coach or something in offseason conditioning reps lol would be...

ronnie brown and pick #12 or

ronnie brown and our first next year

minimum i'd say...

too many other teams would want to be in on this bidding...think of baltimore if they got him...holy cow...he's worth 2 first to them easy
Why is it that everyone thinks that Ronnie is so worthless as far as trade value. So far, Calvin Johnson has proven to be just as injury prone as Ronnie and, unlike Ronnie, CJ has never made a Pro Bowl yet. Ronnie may actually even have better hands than CJ.

just let me dream about this while it's still possible.. what have you guys heard about Earl Thomas????

Ginn? So then with this scenario, who are you thinking will we replace Ginn with? Being that Dez Bryant is not likely to be there at #12.

I mean, I like/want the Cliff Avril trade, which he can move into the SOLB spot filling that hole and we can slide Wake over to the WOLB in a Dumervil type role. But then who replaces Ginn as a deep threat?

just let me dream about this while it's still possible.. what have you guys heard about Earl Thomas????

From Mike Mayock that he may indeed be even better than Eric Berry. Mike Mayock, not me.

Back
Top Bottom