Rumor X To Raiders For 24 In First | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rumor X To Raiders For 24 In First

You don't trade a young superstar. That's not rebuilding that's a compete tear down and wont help you
Trust me I love Howard. But on a team that's rebuilding it doesn't make a ton of sense to take on "top CB in the league" money. He's a great player, but not the best DB in the league, there's a bit of bias going on on this site per usual. That extra first could give us ammo to move up in the draft or possibly trade back and stockpile more picks for next years draft.

I'm not championing trading him, but if it happened for the 24th pick I wouldn't cry myself to sleep.

Even if you do get greedy Williams what are the chances he turns out as good as X. Also greedy isn't falling to 24. So that means your suggestion trading X and drafting his replacement at 13? Wouldn't you rather have both

I stated earlier in this thread I believed 24 was not enough here.

Greedy Williams is just a name with the same position to make a comparison easier. It could be to draft a QB, or a DE, and then get a guy in round 2 or 3.

And “yes” . . . .the idea is to have confidence you can find a proper replacement for a potential “set the bar” player and used the gained assets from that trade to improve your team.

Adding a first rounder in an extremely deep defensive draft is not a negative here . . . And having that guy for 5 years on the cheap is golden for team building.

If you draft a guy in round 1 in this deep ass draft, and he is Charles Harris . . .we have bigger issues at hand.

I'm torn, if I were to respond to this hypothetical offer....24 is not enough for me, but it's getting ****ing close. Depending on how discussions are going amidst Howard/Dolphins.

I’m not saying trade him or don’t at this point, but I certainly think an argument can be made to do it.

I mean if your in a rebuild its hard to pay a CB top money as you attempt to stock the team with young players the next few years. At the window of time that were hopefully very competitive X will probably be older and ready to try and cash in again on another contract.

I can definitely see a debate over it rather than just a simple sign him...

Thing is you control minkah for 4 more years once you pick up that option. You could easily pay x and have most the money off the books in that timeframe and 2 or 3 years worst case from now him be more top 8ish highest paid cb in football.

You control tunsil for 2 more years once you pick up that obvious 5th year. If they make this trade for any other reason than to acquire draft assets for a qb I hope they fire them all for it.

Cause it’s the only reason that even makes remote sense. A just finished 3rd year corner can’t be part of the rebuild cause why? A rebuild we aren’t even sure will be one until they make qb decisions which could be months away. I mean he’s got on average around another 4 id bet on closer to 6 years of high level play expectation in him to bank on.

Hurt too much? He played twice 6 weeks after meniscus surgery. And might I add played damn well for a guy fresh off the knife at a difficult foot speed position like corner. Zero major surgery to date.

This place wants to trade everything that can play. So we can sign guys that can’t play like Andre branch and then wonder why we don’t have more difference maker players.

Screw that.

Last edited:
X is not a shutdown corner.
DeAndre Hopkins TORCHED this man. I would trade for a first in 2019 but also a 2nd in 2020.
If we cant get to the passer it doesnt matter how good X supposedly is.
Trade him and make a play for the top edge rusher in the draft perhaps.

So that's your reasoning for why he's not a shut down corner, because arguably the best receiver in the NFL "torched" him? Ignore the fact that our pass rush is absolute trash and Watson had all night to throw the football in that game. Also ignore watching the actual football game where he did NOT shadow Hopkins throughout the game.

Ted Ginn also "torched" a prime Darelle Revis on MNF. It happens. Every corner gets beat, and every receiver gets locked down.

I stated earlier in this thread I believed 24 was not enough here.

Greedy Williams is just a name with the same position to make a comparison easier. It could be to draft a QB, or a DE, and then get a guy in round 2 or 3.

And “yes” . . . .the idea is to have confidence you can find a proper replacement for a potential “set the bar” player and used the gained assets from that trade to improve your team.

Adding a first rounder in an extremely deep defensive draft is not a negative here . . . And having that guy for 5 years on the cheap is golden for team building.

If you draft a guy in round 1 in this deep *** draft, and he is Charles Harris . . .we have bigger issues at hand.
Its really hard to argue about this not knowing what the return would be or how much he really is going to cost. But Howard is playing like what people hope their 1st round top 10 CB will pan out. Thats the starting point IMO, top half 1st round pick, but I need something more because I dont want to trade proven for hope at even money.

I guess what Im trying to say here is Fins dont need to trade Howard, if they chose to do so, they better damn well trade him to a team that desperatly needs him and set the price accordingly...

Its really hard to argue about this not knowing what the return would be or how much he really is going to cost. But Howard is playing like what people hope their 1st round top 10 CB will pan out. Thats the starting point IMO, top half 1st round pick, but I need something more because I dont want to trade proven for hope at even money.

I guess what Im trying to say here is Fins dont need to trade Howard, if they chose to do so, they better damn well trade him to a team that desperatly needs him and set the price accordingly...

I agree. We don’t need to trade him.

But what I will say is, when you get a shark pulling the strings from a personnel standpoint and while also managing a cap . . . .a loaded defensive draft like this one you are salivating at the mouth at the potential . . . .and the idea of paying somebody top dollar looks less enticing when you have the confidence to get two players of that caliber and have their rights for 5 years for the price of one year on an Xavian longterm deal.

I honestly believe his value will never be as high as it is right now . . . And to your point, there is no reason to settle on some compensation package. Set your price and make it a firm win for your organization.

If not, resign your own and have a young #1 on your team for the rest of his 20s.

What u can’t do is **** around with money here. Realize he will likely set the bar from a financial standpoint and commit to that notion, even if it means franchise tagging him if you can’t get a deal done this year.

Trust me I love Howard. But on a team that's rebuilding it doesn't make a ton of sense to take on "top CB in the league" money. He's a great player, but not the best DB in the league, there's a bit of bias going on on this site per usual. That extra first could give us ammo to move up in the draft or possibly trade back and stockpile more picks for next years draft.

I'm not championing trading him, but if it happened for the 24th pick I wouldn't cry myself to sleep.

This team does need to rebuild, but at the same time it needs to build around some of the existing young talent on this roster. Our secondary could be pretty good if Flores and co utilise the players we have. The more pressing concern is the front seven, so that's where our focus should be in adding players that can help better that front seven. We also need to upgrade our OL. Now sure the picks and space saved from moving X could be used on that, maybe move Jones as well while we are at it, but those moves create holes. We can't fill every hole in one off season, so arguably we would be better off focusing on what we need to fix rather than making unnecessary changes.

Another factor to consider here is that any new quarterback will need the best possible supporting cast. That goes for both sides of the ball. We'll also not want to remain bad for long as well. So holding onto our best talent and building around them makes sense rather than moving that talent and creating more holes to fill. That's not to say we can't move on from X or anyone else a year or two from now , but let's try to build on what we've got because it's a fair foundation.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that extra picks gives us more ammo to move up, or we can sell the pick and acquire more, but the best teams in this league don't give up their best talent. They build with them and around them, and we should do the same. Sure people throw around the Patriot way but no team manages to replicate that process, and we've failed to do it when we've let talent go in the past. So I'd rather see us build with and around our young talent rather than let them go.

Some people think rebuild means you get rid of 100% of players - including the net positive ones.

hint: that's incorrect

Hope it's not true. The only way I'd trade Howard is if the move netted Miami a franchise qb in a trade up scenario.

Loaded defensive draft is more an overstatement than any Xavien Howard is an elite cb talk.

At worst x is top 8.

Overrated might be more appropriate a rating for this defensive draft.

I will be amazed if it from an impact stand point matches in year one or overall even the 2018 one and that’s separate from the qb position.

It’s now being discussed by the Raider Nation:

“ESPN brought up a possible trade scenario on Friday that would involve the Raiders sending their 24th overall pick to the Miami Dolphins in exchange for Xavien Howard.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si...d-raiders-trade-for-dolphins-cb-xavien-howard

Nobody has the pulse on his contract correct.

5/70 is the floor . . . .I imagine 5/80 is closer to reality. Guaranteed money will be the ultimate king tho. Some have said 5/50 on that link LOL . . . .$50 million will be closer to the total guaranteed money over the total value of the deal lol.

Other than that . . . .Raiders fan have it right. Why trade for the guy when you can draft your own.

While Howard is worth more than the 24 pick IMO, it will likely prove tough sledding to get even that with such a big contract due.

Resign him unless somebody knocks your socks off in a deal.

The salary cap shouldnt even be an issue for at least a couple of years. Fins are getting rid of bad contracts and will not have a problem signing their own great players because quite frankly, they really dont have many. Down the road, I could see how Howard getting paid top 5 corner might become a problem, but that would mean Fins hit on alot of very good players and would need space to sign them all. Which really isnt a bad situation to be in. But we're getting way ahead of ourselves here, just sign the guy and cross that bridge when you get there...

Back
Top Bottom