Running and defense wins championships | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Running and defense wins championships

Tennessee set a record for largest yardage disparity in a playoff win, so as impressive as Henry was, it's not like Tennessee's offense was humming. Tennessee's D made the plays it had to, but those types of stops are not something you can count on. Tennessee pulled off an unlikely win. It happens.

I would’ve liked more guys in the box for Baltimore. Put pressure on RT17. Blitz the heck out of him and make him beat you on the road.

Everybody gets so hung up on QB but the O line and running game and defense is much more important. With those in place all you need is a good QB, don't need a HOF QB. The Titans are showing this and are in the AFC title game. So get us a bruising RB, fix the O line and shore up the D and we are there too. We don't need to blow a top pick on a QB. Use those picks to build up the line, defense and running game.
We tried this during the Jay Fiedler era
Obviously we needed more from the QB than that.
HoF QB? Not necessary. Good, solid NFL QB? Yeah, we need that.
We need a guy who can make a play when it needs to be made. That's what RT has done this year. In order for a QB to be that reliable, they have to ascend to that, which means they have to go through periods of time where they do throw a lot of passes and take their lumps and overcome. You dont draft 'game managers'. You draft smart gunslingers that mature into dangerous game managers who adjust to context.

We tried this during the Jay Fiedler era
Obviously we needed more from the QB than that.
HoF QB? Not necessary. Good, solid NFL QB? Yeah, we need that.
We need a guy who can make a play when it needs to be made. That's what RT has done this year. In order for a QB to be that reliable, they have to ascend to that, which means they have to go through periods of time where they do throw a lot of passes and take their lumps and overcome. You dont draft 'game managers'. You draft smart gunslingers that mature into dangerous game managers who adjust to context.
Correct. Guys remember 2 of those seasons our defense gave up less than 15 PTs a game. It was a top 5 defense and only leaked occasionally because it was constantly against it.
Need need need need QB QB
And yes build a tough ass team upfront.

Even if they had only stopped one 4th and 1, held opp to 2 of 4 RZ and 2-1 TO, the OP is right. That defense and running game would have kept Tennessee in the game with a chance to win, even if they hadn't been quite as fortunate. Clearly, the Ravens could not dominate the Titans as they had other less balanced teams this year.

Or maybe weird things happen in single-elimination games, and we shouldn't look for sweeping conclusions.

I'll tell you they match up very favorably with KC and they pounded HOU last time they played. They can go to the superbowl for sure
The last time they played HOU the Texans were resting their players as they were locked into the 4th seed. The game in Tennessee two weeks prior is a better example of how they match up and that was without JJ Watt. Of course, every game is different and a lot can change week to week so who knows.

Not saying the Titans couldn't win. They are on a good run and Vrabel is smart to limit Tannehill as he is not the type of QB that can carry a team through the playoffs. But with defenses having to commit to trying to stop Henry, play action and good pass protection allows him to play to his strengths and he's been a good complimentary piece.

Yeah, you just need to stop two 4th and 1's (vs a team that went 8 of 8 on the year), hold the opponent to 1 of 4 in the RZ, and win the TO battle 3-0. Very sustainable plan.
Some might consider those things are a product of good coaching, and a solid game plan.

Nah..... Probably just luck.

We need an OL but last night was the exception.
Needed a LJx Int and Fumble.
Needed 2 missed 4th and One.
Needed 8 drops.
If they score there at end of 3rd Qtr it’s a different game.
KC will beat Titans by 3 TDs.
SF will shut them out. Literally.
RT will have to make more plays, but it's not like he's failed to do so. He was just called upon to do so, yet. When he's mostly unbothered in the pocket, he's as accurate as any QB in the league, and the play-action effectiveness that Henry gives them should give him plenty of 'unbothered' drop-backs.
There's not a more well-equipped team left in the playoffs. We'll see which team makes the plays. Id rather have RT than Garrapalo.

Ravens had some dropped passes, sure, but I also thought Lamar wasn’t that accurate on a few of them. Especially to Snead who was reaching back to try and catch a few.

I like the kid, but his sideline pouting was getting annoying. He looked defeated long before they were ever out of the game. Can’t slam your helmet in disgust more than once a game. He should’ve been rallying his guys instead of acting like a brady, I mean baby.

Everybody gets so hung up on QB but the O line and running game and defense is much more important. With those in place all you need is a good QB, don't need a HOF QB. The Titans are showing this and are in the AFC title game. So get us a bruising RB, fix the O line and shore up the D and we are there too. We don't need to blow a top pick on a QB. Use those picks to build up the line, defense and running game.

In the last 20 years, few top run teams have made it to the SB. Most common traits? Top 10 D. Top 10 OL
I agree on QB. Doesn't have to be HOF. Top 12 will work

Of course it helps winning consistently to have a strong ground game -- and

of course it helps winning consistently with a strong D! I mean it's utterly

ridiculous to debate those core points IMO.

That said it's also a benefit to have a proficient passing attack

and incorporate play action etc.

Key word is: Balance!

Truly great offenses have balance between run/pass and truly great teams

have balance (proficient performance) from all phases - O D and teams.

Last point -- you don't have to have a "miracle worker" @QB to win!

But of course you definitely need a consistent, high-performance player

if you intend on winning BIG and often.

RT will have to make more plays, but it's not like he's failed to do so. He was just called upon to do so, yet. When he's mostly unbothered in the pocket, he's as accurate as any QB in the league, and the play-action effectiveness that Henry gives them should give him plenty of 'unbothered' drop-backs.
There's not a more well-equipped team left in the playoffs. We'll see which team makes the plays. Id rather have RT than Garrapalo.
Garrapalo seems to have made it a habit to throw 2-4 I'll advised passes into traffic every time I watch him play.

Still, Niners should be the favorite right now with the Chiefs right behind.

Yup and for whatever reason we keep hiring coaches who think a bubble screen is more effective and efficient than a run. Let’s hope Flores is different
Both can be effective. The secret is being able to do either, and knowing which to do when, against who.

Back
Top Bottom