Running and defense wins championships | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Running and defense wins championships

Baltimore was the best rushing attack in the regular season in the History of the NFL, they also had one of the of the top defenses (4th). They are exactly the team you want to potentially build. What happens when they got behind though? That is the issue with building a team that way. You need the lead to be successful.

Yes, Henry is the Titans MVP. But, Thill is not getting enough credit. He took what was there, 2 TDs passing (2 more TDs dropped) and a rush TD. The man was efficient, looked great in the pocket, and was throwing dimes when called on. It's just sour grapes to not give the man his due.

When was the last time you've seen a wild card team win two road playoff games where the QB throws for 72 and 88 yards? This is an anomaly. Not a recipe for success. What Derrick Henry has done in these playoffs is rare, but if he gets gassed they're toast.

Let's see what happens if they fall behind and have to throw the football 20+ times in a game.

Of course the OL needs to be drastically improved, and of course we need to add two guys to the RB room. But we also desperately need a QB if we want to compete on a yearly basis. Tailbacks have a short shelf life. If the Titans lose Henry in FA they are done.

The teams with elite QB play are, for the most part, the perennial contenders. That's where I want to be.

Last edited:
Just remember Tannehill, Henry, and Conklin are all free agents at the end of the year and you only have 1 franchise tag.

Just remember Tannehill, Henry, and Conklin are all free agents at the end of the year and you only have 1 franchise tag.

They're a .500 team at best without Derrick Henry performing at an All Pro level. They need him, and they need him to be unstoppable every single week. I want a potent rushing attack, but I don't want to have to rely on that on a weekly basis in the postseason.

Ravens had some dropped passes, sure, but I also thought Lamar wasn’t that accurate on a few of them. Especially to Snead who was reaching back to try and catch a few.

I like the kid, but his sideline pouting was getting annoying. He looked defeated long before they were ever out of the game. Can’t slam your helmet in disgust more than once a game. He should’ve been rallying his guys instead of acting like a brady, I mean baby.

Not so Lamarvelous was off target a LOT and most (if not all) of those INTs

were the result of poor passes tipped etc. Kid is an exciting RB who plays

well with a huge lead but obviously came unglued on multiple levels last night...

FYI interesting chatter over on the Ravens fan site!

:lol:

Last edited:
That was a weird game last night.

Titans are not a blueprint to follow and neither are the Ravens. Both have limited offense.

Derrick Henry is carrying Tennessee. If a team gets up and a team that's being carried by the run then you might as well say goodnight.
I am not sure how you can say the Ravens offense is limited. especially when that LIMITED offense averaged over 30 points a game. The 49ers have also basically built their defense and offensive lines and they are winning with a very mediocre QB.

Green Bay finally realized that they needed a much better defense if they were going to have a chance of winning a SB while Rogers is still playing at a high level. Yet I don’t give the Packers much of a chance of even getting to the SB if they win today because I believe the 49ers will beat them next week because the 49ers have a much better defense and running game.

The Dolphins never won a SB while Marino was the QB because they never developed a solid running game and they never had a dominant defense during the time he was the Dolphins QB.

I will take a solid but not great QB, with a great OL and a top 10 defense over a franchise QB and a mediocre defense and below average OL any day of the week. That is why I would prefer to see the Dolphins use their draft picks and cap money to build the OL and defense and not draft a QB who will likely be out injured for the entire 2020 season.

Balanced teams win championships. On offense you don’t have to be a “running” team but you have to be able to run when you need it. However, in today’s game you also need a passing attack to keep up with the higher scoring teams.
A great defense can take you far but again, the norm for a champion is competence on both sides of the ball

Of course it helps winning consistently to have a strong ground game -- and

of course it helps winning consistently with a strong D! I mean it's utterly

ridiculous to debate those core points IMO.

That said it's also a benefit to have a proficient passing attack

and incorporate play action etc.

Key word is: Balance!

Truly great offenses have balance between run/pass and truly great teams

have balance (proficient performance) from all phases - O D and teams.

Last point -- you don't have to have a "miracle worker" @QB to win!

But of course you definitely need a consistent, high-performance player

if you intend on winning BIG and often.

Can you say balance 10 times, everyone? :fhpotd

Tennessee set a record for largest yardage disparity in a playoff win, so as impressive as Henry was, it's not like Tennessee's offense was humming. Tennessee's D made the plays it had to, but those types of stops are not something you can count on. Tennessee pulled off an unlikely win. It happens.

What the hell is the person who wrote that tweet talking about? Henry had 2 runs longer than that.

Back
Top Bottom