Rush Limbaugh Resigns From ESPN | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rush Limbaugh Resigns From ESPN

Muck

Now completely imaginary
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Yup, you heard right. Rush called it quits tonight from NFL Countdown.

LINK

I guess Al Franken was right. Rush Limbaugh is a "big fat idiot." - except he's not that fat anymore - I guess that makes him just a "big idiot."

Al Franken and Bill O'Reilly duking it out was pretty awesome.

Originally posted by 1972
I guess Al Franken was right. Rush Limbaugh is a "big fat idiot." - except he's not that fat anymore - I guess that makes him just a "big idiot."

Franken would know in SPADES.

Oliver...

Originally posted by Muck
Yup, you heard right. Rush called it quits tonight from NFL Countdown.

LINK

Just glad to see that windbag show his true idiot colors.... on national TV no less! Idiot!
Way to stick your own foot right up your own arse Rush!

That was an idiotic comment. Rush likes to politicize everything but this was way over the line. He has no business making QB play a race issue. He did an effective job portraying himself as race neutral, but he showed his true colors with that statement

LOL, I thought Rush was perfect and never wrong!!!
The liberals must be salivating at the opportunity to smear and bring Rush down. You can not underestimate the value he brings to the Republican Party- Rush was a major factor in the congressional takeover of 1994 and for many is the voice of the party. However, this type of gaffe can really delegitimize what he says and can have a lasting effect on how he is perceived.

In my opinion, Rush took two statememnts I pretty much agree with and made a ludicrous link between them.

Donovan McNabb is overrated. Well, yes he is. His QB rating for his career QB rating is 77.5. Yes, he can beat you with his feet, but he doesn't consistently BEAT teams with his individual performance.

The NFL and the media have a vested interest in seeing black players do well. This has been a sensitive issue for the NFL, and as the NFL prospers, so does the media covering it. In an era where the league is being as proactive as possible to level the playing field and promote equality in racial perceptions, yes, it is good for America to see black quarterbacks succeed.

But, to link say #1 is true because of #2 is ridiculous for four reasons. Steve McNair, Daunte Culpepper, Michael Vick and Aaron Brooks. This quartet of highly successful, highly marketable quarterbacks puts the NFL miles away from desperation when it comes to celebrating the accomplishments of high-profile African-American players.

Is Donovan McNabb overrated? I think so. Is it because the NFL or the media need him to succeed? Absolutely not.

DR,

Since you believe in the two statements, is it wrong for a man to have the OPINION that the two are related?

He was hired to give an opinion "from a fan's perspective". Never did ESPN tout him as a football expert.

I knew it was a matter of time before his termination. Corporate America (Disney) has no spine.

Perhaps it was best summed up yesterday (prior to resignation) by Pro Football talk.

IS THE RUSH TO MONDAY NIGHT DERAILED?

As we surmised when El Rushbo was hired by ESPN to help prop up its ho-hum Sunday NFL Countdown program, the deeper motivation here by the Disney crowd was to give Limbaugh some real NFL credentials before dropping him into the ABC Monday Night Football booth when John Madden retires (or when his heart explodes like a blooming onion stuffed with garlic gunpowder).

On the surface, the furor that Rush caused with his recent comments as to Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb is, in our view, another step in the grooming process for the guy who could be destined to bring back to the chronically bland MNF broadcast the same kind of water cooler buzz that propelled it to success in the 1970s, when Howard Cosell and Don Meredith spiced things up on a weekly basis.

But the real question now seems to be whether Rush's efforts to be controversial for the sake of ratings and/or self-aggrandizement eventually will create too much heartburn for the folks who make the staffing decisions for the biggest stage in sports.

If Limbaugh continues to spout off with inane observations such as the perception of Donovan McNabb's abilities being fueled by a media desire to see black quarterbacks succeed, he'll likely never make it into the spot that a string of foofs unsuccessfully have been keeping lukewarm for the second coming of Cosell.

Actually, Limbaugh's biggest gaffe in four weeks on the job with ESPN might already have sealed his fate. With his views on McNabb more befitting the nickname "El Rushbozo," Limbaugh is on the receiving end of constant criticism, with the most recent barbs coming from former NFL quarterback and current Grambling coach Doug Williams.

More importantly, guys like Williams already are calling out ESPN for giving Rush a platform for his not-so-thinly-veiled right-wing beliefs on matters such as affirmative action and media bias.

"You've got to chalk it up to the people who hire Rush," Williams said. "Look at it realistically. They knew what they were hiring. You can paint a zebra, but it's still a zebra. That was an awful thing he said."

The folks at ESPN already are making excuses for Limbaugh, and as we see it the question ultimately will be whether the headaches he creates will be offset by the buzz he generates. If ESPN's pregame show doesn't see dramatic improvement with Rush on the set, the honchos at ABC won't risk making a high-maintenance, low-return move of Limbaugh to the Monday Night gig.

This dynamic says much about the dilemma in which MNF now finds itself. The fact that the entire production is scrutinized so obsessively by the media has created, in essence, a barrier for anyone who would be as outspoken and controversial as Cosell once was. The attention that the show receives likewise prevents ABC from giving the job to an unknown loudmouth in the hopes of developing the next Howard on the job.

And they'll likely never find a "tell it like it is" figure from the ranks of former players and coaches, because they simply don't want to burn bridges -- and because the handful who are willing to nuke their NFL brethren typically come off as kooks.

With all that said, we're not ruling out the possibility that Rush will be the guy. But if ABC wants to make it happen, they'll need to rein him in quickly.

Our guess is that, even with a sock in his mouth and/or a foot in his ***, Rush will still find a way to piss too many people off for his own good.

Great read, Zod.

Don't get me wrong ... I don't think he should have been forced to resign. He was hired to give controversial opinions, and that's just what he did.

I don't think his remarks showed a grievous racial insensitivity, just some really bad logic. Of course, I could fill a whole column with our current state of pathetic political correctness, but this isn't the time or place.

After reading that article you should realize that even Howard Cosell wouldn't have a job in today's Politically Correct world.

"Animated" commentators are a thing of the past unless you consider "BACK, BACK, BACK!!" or "BOOYAH" to be some of the more profound statements ever made.

What a sad climate.

NAACP asks for an opposing view....

Were the two black men (Irvin and Jackson) on stage vehemently disagreeing not enough?

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom
In my opinion, Rush took two statememnts I pretty much agree with and made a ludicrous link between them.

Donovan McNabb is overrated. Well, yes he is. His QB rating for his career QB rating is 77.5. Yes, he can beat you with his feet, but he doesn't consistently BEAT teams with his individual performance.

The NFL and the media have a vested interest in seeing black players do well. This has been a sensitive issue for the NFL, and as the NFL prospers, so does the media covering it. In an era where the league is being as proactive as possible to level the playing field and promote equality in racial perceptions, yes, it is good for America to see black quarterbacks succeed.

But, to link say #1 is true because of #2 is ridiculous for four reasons. Steve McNair, Daunte Culpepper, Michael Vick and Aaron Brooks. This quartet of highly successful, highly marketable quarterbacks puts the NFL miles away from desperation when it comes to celebrating the accomplishments of high-profile African-American players.

Is Donovan McNabb overrated? I think so. Is it because the NFL or the media need him to succeed? Absolutely not.

What reason could there be for the positive press that McNabb has received? The media makes him sound like superman, when he is an average quarterback. Limbaugh didn't say he wasn't good enough to play in the NFL. All he said was that the media has given him more coverage than he deserves. I think Kordell Stewart got a lot of positve press also, and I think he stinks at the quarterback position.

Originally posted by ZOD
After reading that article you should realize that even Howard Cosell wouldn't have a job in today's Politically Correct world.

"Animated" commentators are a thing of the past unless you consider "BACK, BACK, BACK!!" or "BOOYAH" to be some of the more profound statements ever made.

What a sad climate.

In fact, Cosell DID lose his job because of the application of very primitive policital correctness. Remember the Alving Garrett "Look at that monkey go!" call? We later found out "little monkey" is what he used to call his grandkids (who were, as you might have guessed, white).

Sad indeed.

Originally posted by fairbanksb

Limbaugh didn't say he wasn't good enough to play in the NFL. All he said was that the media has given him more coverage than he deserves.

Maybe he should have left it at that. BUT NO, he HAD to politicize it and take the opportunity attack the media for what is in his opinion racial bias... He already made the country think the media is all completely liberal, now he espouces that media is racially biased.

Funny how this guy hates the media so much considering without the media no one would know who he is... Without the media he wouldn't have enough money to send his housekeeper out on the streets to buy all those "Hillbilly Herion" (Oxycotin) pills.

Back
Top Bottom