Rush Limbaugh Resigns From ESPN | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rush Limbaugh Resigns From ESPN

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom

The poster was agreeing with you!

Oh..... guess I didn'nt have to go through that whole routine then.

:foundout:

I hate that ESPN even caused us to be discussing this on a football board. Just wrong.

Originally posted by Trekbiz

I hate that ESPN even caused us to be discussing this on a football board. Just wrong.

yeah, that's what happens when you hire somebody who has nothing to do with football to talk about football. personal biases and opinions are okay, but they have to be related to football to belong anywhere near that countdown show. football is supposed to be a diversion from the problems of the larger world, and sunday countdown is not a forum for airing opinions on what those problems are.

Originally posted by Trekbiz

Oh..... guess I didn'nt have to go through that whole routine then.

:foundout:

Yeah Chill!! I was agreeing. The reason I posted the link about Playmakers was because you thanked Limbozo for making you put up with 6 mos. of talking about this stuff. Well it has already started to snowball. By the way I don't think what Limbaugh said was racist. It was his opinion on the media, you can agree or disagree, but it didn't belong on a sports show. I wish he would have just given his views of McNabb as a quarterback, and left it at that.

Should Rush have lost his job because of this supposed "racist" statement?

Nah.

He should have lost his job because it has become increasingly obvious that the guy hasn't watched a football game in 15 years. Wether you agree with his politics or not, when it comes to football, the guy is a clueless douchebag and should have never been placed on ESPN.

The simple fact remains (unless Dr. was wrong) that Donovan Mcnabb has a 77.8 career passer rating. In a climate where everything seems to be judged by the final number, is it not prudent to question why that QB received a 100 million dollar salary.

Jay Fiedler plays for peanuts compared to this guy and has a better winning percentage and career passer rating.

Could Rush not be searching for the reason why?

Donovan said, "I thought we were past this."

No, we have not been past anything.

We get spoon fed the question every year. "In a league where so many of the players are minority, why is that position still withheld from the minority?" That's the question that would have been asked in week 7 or 8 or 9 this year on "Outside the Lines" or some similar "special". On that show prominant black politicians and prominant black quarterbacks (past or present) will state or imply that prejudice is involved.

So when is it over Donovan? Is it when the black athlete says so?

Who is playing the race card?

His comments were not racist. I recollect athletes and politicians pondering the QB issue and saying it needed to be addressed.

It seems the only problem with addressing the issue is when you say that you think a person has benefited from the debate.

People want the benefit ofracial preference. They just don't want to say they benefitted from it.

You don't think so? Just keep the Detroit Lions and Steve Mariucci in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by DrAstroZoom

Wow. Great read!

Oh my God, I'm stunned to my core!!!! This was a great read and if ESPN would have given more than 30 seconds for Rush to expound on his statement, maybe this so-called controversy wouldn't have happened in the first place. What I'm stunned about however, is that this article was found in Slate. Oh MY GOD!

Very interesting link and thanks! I don't want to offend anyone here cause I'm not racist(I hate everyone equally, j.k.) but seriously, Rush really provided a way for the NAACP to start running their mouths again over a biased opinion. Why should Rush have to resign over what he said? Are Americans not allowed to voice their opinions and views on TV anymore, only on radio? This is total BS! Race, race, race! Seriously this sh** is getting very old and it will never stop, only continue to the end of days.

Originally posted by Loburian
http://slate.msn.com/id/2089193/

This link to slate says what i feel.

Loburian

Nice article. I thought the most interesting part was comparing McNabb to Brad Johnson:

"Let's look at a quarterback with similar numbers who also plays for a team with a great defense. I don't know anyone who would call Brad Johnson one of the best quarterbacks in pro footballâ€â€which is how McNabb is often referred to. In fact, I don't know anyone who would call Brad Johnson, on the evidence of his 10-year NFL career, much more than mediocre. Yet, Johnson's NFL career passer rating, as of last Sunday, is 7.3 points higher than McNabb's (84.8 to 77.5), he has completed his passes at a higher rate (61.8 percent to 56.4 percent), and has averaged significantly more yards per pass (6.84 to 5.91). McNabb excels in just one area, running, where he has gained 2,040 yards and scored 14 touchdowns to Johnson's 467 and seven. But McNabb has also been sacked more frequently than Johnsonâ€â€more than once, on average, per game, which negates much of the rushing advantage."

If BumRush would have backed up his statement with those facts, maybe he wouldn't have got b!tchslapped so hard by everyone.

Be careful of stats. I do not want to get into bashing Brad Johnson, a player I like. Rather look at the years played and what happened in each year. Mcnabb's rookie year his QBR was 60%. The next 3 years, 77, 84, 86. This year, a dismal 51% after 3 games.

Look at Brad's numbers in an 11 year career. First 2 years QBR 68%. (only playing in 4 -5 games) Next year 12 games QB rating 89. From there his rating reaches a high of 92 and a low of 72.

You drop out the rookie season and the incomplete present year, the numbers are not so skewed. Will McNabb have a career as long and consistently good as Johnsons? Don't know, but the comparison based upon these stats are not very accurate.

A better question is who would rather have as your starting QB?

I didn't read the site (the link isn't working for me) but did they bring up the slight little difference in rushing between BJ and McNabb?

McNabb's ability to kill you with his legs while being moderately effective with his arm has been his main selling point and what everybody fears about McNabb.

I recall when he strung together a few good passing games people started to freak because "if he could get his arm as good as his legs he'd be frightening" it was true then and it's true now, I have yet to see anybody (not even the most biased eagles fans) call McNabb a great passer, so why would you use that part of his game by itself to grade him (unless the rest of the argument was a bit weak and one needed to slant the numbers to make it look better)

Barbarian,

The author did bring it up.

You really need to read the article. It just plainly states the debate at hand which is/was that the media has overrated McNabb with a desirous for a black QB to do well. The article even included a description of this desire to be similar to wanting Jackie Robinson to do well in baseball.

BTW......

You can hear Rush describe the ending of his employ at ESPN including the discomfort of the co-hosts here.

Originally posted by ZOD
Barbarian,

The author did bring it up.

You really need to read the article. It just plainly states the debate at hand which is/was that the media has overrated McNabb with a desirous for a black QB to do well. The article even included a description of this desire to be similar to wanting Jackie Robinson to do well in baseball.

I finally read it on another site, (damn link still wont work for me... WTF?)

And I still say the author is smoking something.

McNabbs running ability more than makes up for the difference in arms between Johnson and McNabb, and I stand behind all the points I made previously.

As for the media, there is absolutely no incentive at all for the media to try and promote a black QB to do well now. There is a huge gargantualn difference between the McNabb situation and Jackie Robinson, as I posted in another thread, Black QB's have allready broken through, we have had a black QB win a super bowl, a black QB nearly lead his team to a title (McNair), there is no need for the media to try and push something that has allready shown success. Robinson was the first, and the desire to see him do well was due to that fact, especially considering the racial overtones of that era. There is absolutely Zero commonality between Robinsons and McNabbs situations.

If Rush had said this about a black QB 15 years ago, he might be onto something, but now it's just pathetic rediculous drivel coming from a pathetic rediculous man.

You are losing me here.

Are you saying that there is no desire in the media for the QB position to be more representative of the league (as a whole)?

I think the league is 70 percent black now.

Are you telling me that the media has been satisfied with 5 present QB's and 1 super bowl ring as the ratio? I would have to disagree and cite the "outside the lines" show on the topic last year that would dispute that the desire is actually "over".

The "desire" still remains for the QB position to be more proportional with that of the population of the league. It's just no longer an "insatiable" desire because it has been attained and held onto by a few.

Presently the "insatiable" desire is reserved for the head coach position.

You cannot do this now with the QB issue because all you will come up with is the Rush Limbaugh diatribe but check this out.

Click here.

Do you see all of the "mainstream media" that has a story in that google search? Do you or anybody but racists not wish for present Black Coaches to do well?

I'll take it a little further......

Do you not suspect that the firings of Ray Rhodes, Tony Dungy, and Dennis Green had SOMETHING to do with race? Do you not scoff at the notion of Notre Dame not hiring Tyrone Willingham the first time around?

The topic of race in sports is alive and well. As a matter of fact it is the minority that will not let it be "over" as Donovan said.

And on that note you tend to get the general idea of what was "wrong" in what Rush Limbaugh said.

Rush Limbaugh is a white man.

Back
Top Bottom