Rush Limbaugh Resigns From ESPN | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rush Limbaugh Resigns From ESPN

Just butting in here

Not sure if I understand your point here. Is it that mainstream media is a shill for minorities who move from cause to cause?

As you point out in your post, the only media type making any noise about black qb's is Rush. The outside the lines program raised the issue of why not the same proportionate amount of black qb's in the league. That is a statistaclly valid point. BUT that seems to defeat Rush's point about the uneven coverage on McNabb because he is black. Where is it? As stated in another thread, is Kordell getting alot of love in Pitt or Chicago? Until this week, how about Carter in Dallas? Surely based upon this statistical anommolly, the "liberal media" would be all over these guys. Rush has never been one to let facts get in the way of a good slam of the media or perceived liberals.

Is there a lot of press about black coaches? Of course there is. Does that mean the mainstream media treats black coaches better? I don't know, show me where. Ask Rhodes, and Dungy how they felt that they were getting preferential treatment.

My whole point of it is:

Rush is not a racist at all. If he was black and said what he did no one would care.

Oh I think Rush is a race baiter. Is he a dyed in the wool, I hate n .....ger, racist. Probably not, I really do not know. But all you have to do is listen to his program to know that he is almost -as blatant as Father Coughlin when it comes to using race to rile up his listeners.

Thats why I think ESPN is to blame here. Rush did what he does. I just do not want that whenI am watching football. That is what a.m. radio is for.

I've listened to Rush "on and off" since 1988. Mostly "on" in the years prior to the 1992 election. I disagree with his thoughts about "open markets" and a few other topics. I have never known him to not say something that he does not mean. He is not a race baiter and he does not say things to get the audience "riled up". He is perhaps one of the last men on earth to stand on his own principles and not deter. Principle is one area where I find myself lacking in the economic realm (I'm a union man) and it is one reason why he will defeat most if not all in open debate on most of his statements.

To quote "Meet me in the arena of ideas".

Is there something wrong with that?

You don't have to "read into" his statement.

Read HIS statement. Could it be anymore clear?

The man did not say that Donovan Mcnabb sucked as a QB. He said that HE THOUGHT Donovan Mcnabb was overrated. Overrated is defined as "to have too high an opinion of" in my Oxford American Dictionary. Nowhere in my dictionary does overrated equate to a "terrible" performance.

I will leave out the "offensive part" here and come back to it.....

Rush continued-

"There's a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of his team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

Comparing him to the QB's that we bash here continually (Brady, Testeverde, Fiedler, and Bledsoe) and then surveying the total defense rankings of the Eagles in their championship runs does the above statement look false? Note: just read the above statement and consider the 100 million dollar contract recently signed.....

Now for the "offensive portion" of the statement.

"what we have here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback can do wellâ€â€black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well."

Is that statement false? "The media" includes and represents alot of our opinions. As a matter of fact the media forms alot of our opinion.

Nothing that he said should have incited anybody.

Provoke thought? Sure and it has.

That was what they hired him for........

Tex,

To answer your questions directly.

Shill? No I don't think the media is a shill. I think the media raises topics for debate and beats some of them into the ground until they "catch on" or the topic just dies at first glance. I think the media is worse than what you accuse Rush of being. Instead of citing the writer's or broadcaster's opinion on a matter they just fan flames. The exception of course is the few local broadcast news outlets that allow their program director do an "editorial" for 30 seconds a week or the last page in the first section of the local newpaper (editorial page). Instead most of the opinion is disguised inside of "news".

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not a conspiracy theorist.

It's the quality of writing is at judgement here not the ideas in the writing that I am pointing out. I think you could agree that if a newspaper just reported "news" alot of trees could be saved and broadcasts could actually get all the "news" done in 15 minutes. The "news" when reported without opinion is "dry". And when we receive "news" with all political points of view represented it resembles more of a "PBS frontline" episode. Opinion does sneak in....

Wow! What the hell was the question again?:hitself:

Okay I'm back.....:whew:

Rush didn't raise the issue about ALL black QB's. We (including you) did.

His statement was about one individual's overall performance to date and his opinion of where all the "whoopla" derived from.

Why did he not mention Kordell or Quincy you ask? Because it is a general consensus amongst most NFL observers that these two QB's performance has sucked their entire career. There has been no "whoopla" over the two of them and they have not signed 100 million dollar contracts....

And to boot......

They were not the topic of discussion in that segment of NFL Sunday Countdown.

As for your last question about the media and preferential treatment.... I don't know...You tell me...I did a google search and changed one word...

Click here and tell me what you find.

Last edited by a moderator:
"what we have here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback can do wellâ€â€black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well"

Yes he does bring up all black qb's. "media has been desirous that . . . black quarterbacks" (note plural) My point about Kordell and Quincy (and I believe McNabb as well) is that the media treats them exactly the same as white qbs. Probably too much credit and blame.

Rush IS the media. Anyone clearing 30 mill a year from a conglomeration of radio, tv and print is at the top of the media empire, or very near it. Clearly he is extremely important and intergral part ofthe resurgence of the right wing of the republican party.

If you want to talk about opinion disguised as news, look no further than Fox. PBS Frontline clearly has a anti-establishment, investigative slant and I admit more liberal than conservative, but the fact they have a point of view is not hidden, unlike Britt Hume and his delivery of the "news."

We must simply disagree re race baiting. Comments about all criminals looking like Jesse Jackson, or telling black callers to remove the bone from their nose seem to fall under that catagory. Finally his comment about black QB's being overrated because thay are black is clearly a form of race baiting.

Finally, open debate is not something Rush really gets involved with.

If the point of tha last google search is that white coached don't get a fair shake, well all I can say is look at DivI and NFL, they are doing pretty good.

Tex,

The last comment was a "loose" observation about the media coverage of the two parties involved...

This conversation gets old unless it's person to person.

If I knew you and we were in present company I'd love to continue with a couple of beers and some conversation....

But I'm out of this one......

I hope you do get to discuss this issue face-to-face because Zod is correct in saying that controversial issues cannnot sway the opinion of another over the Internet. I have always believed that.

However, Zod you made some really excellent points. After reading all the views expressed by Zod and TexPhinPhan with an open-mind to understand both sides, Zod does not make any further assumptions from Rush's comments, so I couldn't agree more with Zod. Nor did Zod have to justify his beliefs by refering to "right-wing", "liberal", "conservative", or "leftist" or "political conspirancy", in contrast to TexPhin who confirmed point of views as "more liberal than conservative" and identifies Rush as an opposing "Republican" and not an individual stating an opinion. That sounds like making pre-judgements to me and not being open-minded or ready for debate.

Zod, you really demonstrated a great point of view with the 2 separate Google searches. It truly hit the bulls-eye and it can not be avoided nor explained within our country. We live in a country of double standards and its getting real gross. Racism will never die unless the likes such as the NAACP allow it to die. I strongly believe their enemy is within themselves, and not an individual like Rush.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me clear up a few things

I know I said I was done but I can't help myself.

First, I said that Frontline was more liberal than conservative, not me.

Second re: Rush, right wing and Republican. There is a reason that Rush was made an honorary member of the House republicans in 1994. As Rush is very happy to say, he was a large reason why they were elected. I do not believe that any one with a radio would dispute that Rush is a member of the right wing of the republican party, Rush included (at least in ideology. I do not know how he is registered)

Having an open mind does not mean thinking in a vacuum. I know, you know, everyone knows that Rush is conservative. It is not ony ok, it is essential to consider a person's prior public statements when attempting to understand what they are trying to communicate. Rush isn't just "an individual stating an opinion" He is a highly paid member of the media who's self described mission is to convert as many people as possible to his way of thinking.

I do not identify the republican party as the enemy. But I will admit to deep concern about the conservative branch of the party.

I will also admit to having a fairly low opinion of Rush and his particular brand of political discourse. Does this color my opinion of his statements? Of course it does. Just as someone who admires or agrees with much of what he says will also have some preconcieved ideas about the man.

Open debate about race in this country is essential . . . and difficult. You don't start a dialogue on race IMHO with a blanket statement that is not supportd by the facts. Further, such discussion is possible amongst self described "conservatives" and "liberals" But it is never going to suceed if people like Rush, Jesse Jackson, Mosely Braun, Hannity, etc. do the yelling and set the agenda

Finally, please show me where McNabb, the original subject of the comment, has gotten too much credit because he is black. Has been pointed out ad naseum on these threads qb's, ALL QB'S, get too much credit and blame for winning and losing.

This time I am really done. At least until next time.

Back
Top Bottom