Ryan Fitzpatrick To Miami | Page 45 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Fitzpatrick To Miami

I agree with most, Fitzpatrick gives us a 6-10 record max with a good defense. Problem is we do not have a good defense so we're now leaning to 4-12.

4-12 will get us in a good position to trade up even to the #2 spot in next years draft. We may not be #1 but the #2 is not too bad out of 5 top prospects.

every sport in the world has a responsibility to it's fans, global sponsorship, betting companies etc. to ensure the product they produce is fair.
If the NFL really cared whether the product is fair or not, they’d have professional referees. They care about money, nothing else.

Having said that, not a chance the NFL interferes here. With NFL I mean the league office/administration. They couldn’t care less who we sign or put on the field. The reason we signed Fitzpatrick is that the coaching staff and the front office believe he gives us the best chance to win football games compared to who’s available and what they cost. That’s all.

If anybody cared whether we sell out the stadium or not it’s the other teams’ owners.

Kinda related, but I've been mulling over this since he sign. Apologies if anyone else has already brought this up but I wonder if the NFL have told the dolphins to "at least show as if you are trying" by signing a vet with starting experience rather than just rolling with the two we had under contract plus a late round draft pick. I'm sure the NFL aren't too keen having a situation where it is clear that one team is deliberately losing games, even before the season starts.
They probably wanted to at least have a reason for fans to enter the stadium. They need to sell tickets. Fans love a guy like Fitzpatrick. Even if it was short lived he lit a fire in the Tampa bay fan base that was not lit in many years.
Many Tampa fans were interviewed saying things like they haven’t cared about the team in years, how this was the first time they had been excited about the Bucs in years etc etc.
These are good things, and when rebuilding and buying time till you draft a guy to pass the job to there’s no better guy to have holdin the spot than Fitzpatrick. He’s a class act and he knows his place and he is a guy your kids can look up too.
He can also pull rabbits out of hats and who knows what can happen if he gets hot and stays hot for extended period of time like in 2015 when his jets offense broke record after record.
Lots of things to like about having Ryan in for this stop gap time.

Fitzpatrick makes no sense unless we are drafting a QB in round 1.

If we are looking for a QB in 2020 we just shot ourselves in the foot.

Fitzpatrick will win us 4 - 6 games. We will win just enough to miss out on one of the top QBs

It might have been offered, but I suspect he would have wanted to sign here without being given any assurances. Look at the facts. He's an older journeyman QB who has lost the trust of every coach he's played for, not because he's a jerk or a bad performer, but because he has a low ceiling, lacks consistency, and is nearing the end of his NFL career. Getting a starter's salary is very unlikely. Getting a chance to start is unlikely. We are one of the few locations/staffs that has not had him that would even give him a chance to start. And, if we are indeed tanking, we are clearly his best chance to start. Plus, I suspect our money was competitive, without state taxes, and in a nice place to live. He's played in Tampa, so he probably likes Florida by now.

Think about it, he's a very smart guy, savvy, played in a lot of different systems, and he learns things quickly, and this is a tough system to learn. Very QB-specific, so he'll have a big leg up on any rookie or new QB.
He has an extremely high ceiling, he plays at super elite levels at many points in his career. He is a unicorn in the sense that he has that kinda ceiling but has trouble remaining at that level for complete seasons.
Everything about Ryan is unique because of these reasons. He isn’t your typical backup qb.
I’m not predicting this by any means but if there was any qb that could pull a Rich Gannon esqe late blooming success, it’s ryan Fitzpatrick.
If they do wait until 2020 to draft a qb and he gets this job for a year it would be one of the rare times in his career that he wouldn’t be looking over his shoulder worried about losing his job after every semi bad and very bad play. Last time he had freedom to not worry about looking over his shoulder was 2015 his best year by far over long 16 game stretch. He did have a couple duds in there but by far was superior with consistency in that season compared to others.
Yes these are optimistic outlooks but they still have validity.

he won't last the entire season and even if he does, we'll win 4 games max next year. 4 wins in this league is enough to draft top 3 usually.

Yeah, sounds like more rebuilding than tanking.

My theory is that Miami likes several quarterbacks from 2020. Tua, Fromm, Love, and Herbert maybe. A 5-11 record puts you in a good range there.

Its also possible that the Dolphins want someone from 2019 and now have more resources to move up if they desire to go that route.

Fitzpatrick makes no sense unless we are drafting a QB in round 1.

If we are looking for a QB in 2020 we just shot ourselves in the foot.

Fitzpatrick will win us 4 - 6 games. We will win just enough to miss out on one of the top QBs

Fitzmagic has the potential to 'accidentally' win more games than projected. Faulk didn't.

You guys do realise that we just have to be in the top 10 picks and then we can trade up for who we want right - we dont have to have the first pick

He has an extremely high ceiling, he plays at super elite levels at many points in his career. He is a unicorn in the sense that he has that kinda ceiling but has trouble remaining at that level for complete seasons.
Everything about Ryan is unique because of these reasons. He isn’t your typical backup qb.
I’m not predicting this by any means but if there was any qb that could pull a Rich Gannon esqe late blooming success, it’s ryan Fitzpatrick.
If they do wait until 2020 to draft a qb and he gets this job for a year it would be one of the rare times in his career that he wouldn’t be looking over his shoulder worried about losing his job after every semi bad and very bad play. Last time he had freedom to not worry about looking over his shoulder was 2015 his best year by far over long 16 game stretch. He did have a couple duds in there but by far was superior with consistency in that season compared to others.
Yes these are optimistic outlooks but they still have validity.
I hope you're right brother. I like Fitzmagic, but he is a risk taker, and going slightly off kilter and those TD's morph into INT's. He throws a great deep ball but has had inconsistency issues. If he could get it all together like Gannon did … I'd be very happy to hear. Still, he's a short-term solution at best. At his age, he's not going to be here 10 years from now, so I think he's being brought in as a bridge and mentor to the young QB, whenever we get him.

I think we signed him because he has experience and we need to evaluate the team with a QB who does not need evaluation. Our drafting a QB isn't affected by this, it will be affected by who is there and more importantly, who isn't there when we pick.

There are three schools of thought with Fitzmagic. All three seem valid to me.

1. He is a high risk/high reward QB who will make the 2019 season more enjoyable for the fans.
2. He is a bridge QB to a rookie in 2020.
3. He is a veteran mentor and high-quality backup for a rookie in 2019.

My fear is that he will have too many "good" flashes to get a top 3 pick in 2020, and that's where I think our QB to make this system work really lies.

Back
Top Bottom