Ryan Howard - the real NL MVP | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Howard - the real NL MVP

With the way Houston, Philly, and LA is playing..........I pray they all get in.

St.Louis doesn't deserve to be there!!!!

WarriorWelker83 said:
I'd like to see Houston in.....Philly is done.

Philly is the only team done "OFFICIALLY".

In my opinion the Mets and St.Louis (who is probably in) are also DONE they just don't know it yet!

LAA vs SD could easily be the NLCS

MikeO said:
Philly is the only team done "OFFICIALLY".

In my opinion the Mets and St.Louis (who is probably in) are also DONE they just don't know it yet!

LAA vs SD could easily be the NLCS
The TOTAL lack of respect that the Mets get borders on the INSANELY ridiculous. The pitching has been the problem on this team ALL year round and anything can happen in a short series...yet. Pedro was FAR from dominant all year..and they still managed to play the best ball in the National League when it really mattered. Sometimes I really wonder what the true agendas are when calling a team "DONE". How about giving them props for the way they played all year and wait putting the dirt on thier graves at least until the playoffs begin:shakeno: :shakeno:

NYPhinFan said:
The TOTAL lack of respect that the Mets get borders on the INSANELY ridiculous. The pitching has been the problem on this team ALL year round and anything can happen in a short series...yet. Pedro was FAR from dominant all year..and they still managed to play the best ball in the National League when it really mattered. Sometimes I really wonder what the true agendas are when calling a team "DONE". How about giving them props for the way they played all year and wait putting the dirt on thier graves at least until the playoffs begin:shakeno: :shakeno:

The Mets aren't getting respect for a few reasons:

1.) All at their pitching rotation in the playoffs (El Duque, Glavine, Maine, Steve Trachel) that is not a World Series rotation. Losing Pedro hurts the team big time. He was signed to be their ace. Now they have to count on a 60 year old pitcher, a vet lefty who might not have anything in the tank, an unproven semi-rookie and a 5th starter who's been bad.

2.) The NL this year was a joke. The Mets rolled over teams because they have a good line up. You can get away with that in the regular season but not the playoffs. Rarely can a team out hit other teams in the playoffs, it comes down to pitching so see example 1. If the Mets were in the AL they might not have made the playoffs. Not a knock on the Mets but the AL is the better league.

3.) The regular season and post season are much different. More pressure, facing better teams. More on the line. Facing better pitching.

Just my opinion but I think the Mets won't make it out of the first round especially since they're facing a tough Dodger team who has a better starting rotation in Maddux, Lowe and Penny.

The Mets are in bad shape. There's no way you can deny that. Not having Pedro in the regular season and winning is much different than not having him in the playoffs and winning.

NYPhinFan said:
How about giving them props for the way they played all year and wait putting the dirt on thier graves at least until the playoffs begin:shakeno: :shakeno:

I congratulated them on winnin the NL East. Go back and read through the thread.

But it doesn't change the fact that with that pitching staff they aren't winning the NL or the world series.

Ray Finkle said:
The Mets aren't getting respect for a few reasons:

1.) All at their pitching rotation in the playoffs (El Duque, Glavine, Maine, Steve Trachel) that is not a World Series rotation. Losing Pedro hurts the team big time. He was signed to be their ace. Now they have to count on a 60 year old pitcher, a vet lefty who might not have anything in the tank, an unproven semi-rookie and a 5th starter who's been bad.

2.) The NL this year was a joke. The Mets rolled over teams because they have a good line up. You can get away with that in the regular season but not the playoffs. Rarely can a team out hit other teams in the playoffs, it comes down to pitching so see example 1. If the Mets were in the AL they might not have made the playoffs. Not a knock on the Mets but the AL is the better league.

3.) The regular season and post season are much different. More pressure, facing better teams. More on the line. Facing better pitching.

Just my opinion but I think the Mets won't make it out of the first round especially since they're facing a tough Dodger team who has a better starting rotation in Maddux, Lowe and Penny.

The Mets are in bad shape. There's no way you can deny that. Not having Pedro in the regular season and winning is much different than not having him in the playoffs and winning.

So, Wang, Mussina, Johnson, Wright......

That's a world series rotation?! If, and that's a big IF, that's a better rotation than the Met's, it sure as hell ain't by much

Eop05 said:
So, Wang, Mussina, Johnson, Wright......

That's a world series rotation?! If, and that's a big IF, that's a better rotation than the Met's, it sure as hell ain't by much

He was not comparing the Mets to the Yankees. I'm seeing a lot of Mike's theory of second-city mentality in this whole Mets/Yankees deal.

You guys will all see my predictions when the admins get around to posting the commentary, so I'll hold off on that.

But Orlando Hernandez, Tom Glavine, Steve Trachsel, and John Maine/Mike Pelfrey does not strike fear in anyone's hearts. El Duque and Glavine are 5-6 inning pitchers, Trachsel is a 5th starter pretending to be a 3rd, and Maine and Pelfrey have never been here before. The Mets, as great as they are on paper, are not deep in the rotation, and the one injury to Pedro cripples them.

RWhitney014 said:
He was not comparing the Mets to the Yankees. I'm seeing a lot of Mike's theory of second-city mentality in this whole Mets/Yankees deal.

You guys will all see my predictions when the admins get around to posting the commentary, so I'll hold off on that.

But Orlando Hernandez, Tom Glavine, Steve Trachsel, and John Maine/Mike Pelfrey does not strike fear in anyone's hearts. El Duque and Glavine are 5-6 inning pitchers, Trachsel is a 5th starter pretending to be a 3rd, and Maine and Pelfrey have never been here before. The Mets, as great as they are on paper, are not deep in the rotation, and the one injury to Pedro cripples them.

The point I was trying to make was this:

Everyone is criticizing the Met's rotation. Yes, it's not dominant. Far from it.

But...neither is that of the Yankees (the clear-cut favorite to win the world series).

If you look at every teams rotation in the playoffs, Not ONE SINGLE TEAM has a rotation that another team should fear in this postseason. The Twins have Santana, and that's IT. He is probably the only feared pitcher in the postseason.

The bottom line is this: No team has a feared rotation in this postseason. The Met's rotation ranks somewhere amongst the middle of the playoff teams.

I still think Howard should get the MVP, even though my Phils always seems to come up short in the playoff race. I wonder how Clint Hurdle keep his job here in Colorado year after year when the Rocks always finish in last place...he must have compromising pictures of GM Dan O'Dowd. :lol:

Eop05 said:
The point I was trying to make was this:

Everyone is criticizing the Met's rotation. Yes, it's not dominant. Far from it.

But...neither is that of the Yankees (the clear-cut favorite to win the world series).

If you look at every teams rotation in the playoffs, Not ONE SINGLE TEAM has a rotation that another team should fear in this postseason. The Twins have Santana, and that's IT. He is probably the only feared pitcher in the postseason.

The bottom line is this: No team has a feared rotation in this postseason. The Met's rotation ranks somewhere amongst the middle of the playoff teams.

The Yankees are the clear-cut favorites? I strongly disagree. You said yourself, their rotation's not great, the pen isn't dominant. Minnesota has Santana, Radke, and Bonser, 3 very competent pitchers. The Dodgers have a good rotation. So do the Tigers and Padres. The Mets' rotation is only better than the Cardinals.

RWhitney014 said:
The Yankees are the clear-cut favorites? I strongly disagree. You said yourself, their rotation's not great, the pen isn't dominant. Minnesota has Santana, Radke, and Bonser, 3 very competent pitchers. The Dodgers have a good rotation. So do the Tigers and Padres. The Mets' rotation is only better than the Cardinals.

Agreed. If I were to rank the rotations this would be my order:

Oakland
Dodgers
Yankees
Twins
Padres
Tigers
Mets
Cardinals

However I do think the Yankees are the heavy favorites due to their line up. Of course it all depends on Mr. Rivera once again, who won't get any 6 out saves this post season (at least in the 1st round) according to Torre.

Of course the list is schedule to change due to health. For example if Randy Johnson can't pitch and Cory Lidle has to take his spot the Yankees would drop big time.

RWhitney014 said:

You can strongly disagree, but Vegas and the rest of the world does not:

• New York Yankees 81/50
    bet1-1.gif
  • Minnesota Twins 4/1
    bet1-1.gif
  • New York Mets 4/1
    bet1-1.gif
  • Oakland Athletics 7/1
    bet1-1.gif
  • Detroit Tigers 8/1
    bet1-1.gif
  • San Diego Padres 9/1
    bet1-1.gif
  • St Louis Cardinals 12/1
    bet1-1.gif
  • Los Angeles Dodgers 12/1
If those odds don't say clear-cut favorite, then I'm not sure what a clear-cut favorite is

Now El Duque may have pulled his calf muscle.

NOWWW the mets are in trouble.

Eop05 said:
You can strongly disagree, but Vegas and the rest of the world does not:
If those odds don't say clear-cut favorite, then I'm not sure what a clear-cut favorite is

Vegas odds mean nothing to the play on the field. Vegas odds gave the Cubs a chance to win the World Series on September 1. Did they have a chance? Mathematically, yes, but there was obviously no way it would happen.

The Yankees will almost always have top odds because they're sexy. They're full of big names, they have the big history, and they have the most fans. But Vegas is trying to make money, not predict who will win. They set odds that give them the best chance of entering November having made a profit.

Back
Top Bottom