Ryan Tannehill #1 in NFL for passer rating. Minkah Fitzpatrick #1 in NFL for interceptions. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Tannehill #1 in NFL for passer rating. Minkah Fitzpatrick #1 in NFL for interceptions.

Could it be that there are some things that Tannehill wasn't good at in the past but got better at? This is a guy who is maybe the most impressive downfield thrower in the league right now. His first few years he had real trouble in that area. I saw him do a lot of things in 2016 that he couldn't do in 2015. Players progress. Tannehill was a project coming out of college and I always thought it was silly to basically manufacture him winning the QB job as a rookie, and even though he did a lot of good things in 2013 and 2014 before fading with the playoffs on the line, he seemed to stagnate in some areas before regressing a bit prior to Gase taking charge.
He got the coaching he needed in that element. I think it was Al Saunders that worked with him to really work on the timing of the long throws. After that, there was a marked improvement in his downfield accuracy.

It's common sense, really. You put more weapons around your QB and he'll perform better. Duh. This year proves nothing. Tannehill is still Tannehill with all his limitations. I don't care how many charts and graphs you want to whip out. :lol:
There is just no way you really believe that the performance this year is simply having more weapons if you watch his games with the Titans

There is just no way you really believe that the performance this year is simply having more weapons if you watch his games with the Titans
There are a whole lot of people trying to re-characterize what they wrote. They’ve gone from “Tannehill doesn’t have it” to “Tannehill didn’t have it in Miami”....... revisionist history.

He's had a nice stretch. Let's see how he does in the playoffs and for an entire season next year.

There are a whole lot of people trying to re-characterize what they wrote. They’ve gone from “Tannehill doesn’t have it” to “Tannehill didn’t have it in Miami”....... revisionist history.

No need to take my word for it. You can be a whining little bitch about it, or you can dig through the archives and find my posts where I said the same. But you won't. Continue your Tannehill crusade...8 years later. I'm done. :lol:

Happy new year!

He's had a nice stretch. Let's see how he does in the playoffs and for an entire season next year.
LOL. Maybe we should wait until we see how he does when he is 100..... otherwise he may be a a flash in the pan. Not sure why you are expressing doubt. After all, didn’t you just say that his performance was to be expected?

No need to take my word for it. You can be a whining little bitch about it, or you can dig through the archives and find my posts where I said the same. But you won't. Continue your Tannehill crusade...8 years later. I'm done. :lol:

Happy new year!

Why would you call it a crusade. After all you agreed with me, right? LOL.

Sucks to be called out, doesn’t it..... Get USED TO IT.

My timeline
2012-2015 - Tannehill didn't have it
2016-2018 - Tannehill had it but not in all circumstances. We wouldn't provide the right circumstances outside of that run in 2016 where we had a consistent offensive identity with a stud running back and Tannehill executing efficiently, with both big plays and clutch plays when needed. I was thrilled to watch him every week once he turned the corner in 2016.
2019 - He has it and has the right circumstances

Landry is one of the most talented WR's and better then Beckham if im building a team but he brought an ego with him and if you didn't get him the ball he wouldn't be happy. Tannehill's success in my mind comes from the fact that in Tennessee none of those WR's are superstars yet and are unselfish and there are no big egos.

Lots of WRs have had an ego. It's not ideal, but playing receiver is a darn frustrating position because your opportunities are based on other players doing their job, the QB making a choice to throw it your way, and then executing that throw. A WR can do his job all day and nothing to show for it. Most WRs feel their team's best chance to win is to throw it to them, because they believe in themselves and their ability, and its rare that you would want a guy who doesn't.

Landry practically carried this team to wins at times, whatever he had to do. And yes, there were receivers who had better overall numbers when you look at certain things, but he did his job (which was catch passes and get first downs) about the best in the league. His ability to catch short passes and make something out of them was our most consistent weapon, and our line and QB play pretty much dictated that was what we needed to do.

We can say the Tennessee receivers don't have ego. Well, right now everything is going perfectly for them. Nobody has the track record to support a public ego, and we don't actually know what is going on behind the scenes there anyway. Maybe there are egos, maybe there aren't. I remember there was a point in time when Mike Wallace was the diva in Pittsburgh and Antonio Brown was the guy who was extended because he was the team player. Turns out Brown had an ego too.

Doesn't that mean that a qb of Tannehill's caliber is elite?

The bench mark that is often set for elite level QB's is that they raise the play of the people around them to higher levels than before.

Consider this:
1. They supposed already had an average to above average and sometimes mediocre QB in Mariota
2. The fan base was about to run the coaches out of town. There offensive coordinator and coach looked like a failed experiment
3. They wanted to "improve" their running back situation by praying that they sign our old cast off Kenyan Drake and Derrick henry was on his way to free agency with no real sign of an elite level contract
4. Their receiving core was and is still a joke. No name tight ends. No true numbers one receiver. Adam Humphries was their savior, much like danny armendola was ours last year. Their now superstar receiver AJ Brown is a rookie who people were fearing was a bust.
5. That offensive line was... well offensive. Did you know that Jamil Douglas is starting for them? Good run blockers, but horrible in pass protection (where have we heard that before?)

Yeah, this sound like the perfect situation for a QB of Tannehills caliber to step into and look like a top 5 qb. I know... I know... They were actually elite and they just didn't know it yet. Mariota was such a crappy QB that he couldn't get them there right? Well that could be right, or we could look at how he is performing and be honest evaluators of the situation.

I think we can both agree that the pieces are there for him to be successful, but to make a statement that makes it look like his skill level is really a non factor and that he is being dragged into this elite level of play by those around him ignores the fact that it looks like we had what could be considered better talent here over here is career (Pro-bowl center, A pro bowl Trending Left Tackle, A solid right tackle, Better wide outs, Two really solid running backs) but could not pull it all together. These same pieces are leaving this dumpster fire or an organization and are not just thriving elsewhere, but look above average and become great contributors. Not to mention the fact that you can actually see with your own two eyes that the is the one slinging the ball all over the field in ways the most quarterbacks never will, and you saw the man throw it like that down here on multiple occasions

I am not going to sit here and tell you that I know what the secret sauce is between successful football organizations and the ones that just plane suck. But the good ones have been consistently good, the bad ones consistently bad and the mediocre one like the dolphins... well... you know... stay medicore.
We went from the shula era... to Jimmy Johonson era... to the big Tuna era.. and now.. to the nobodies.

Based on his past work, Grier looks like he is a pretty good talent evaluator... but until he can put together a coaching staff or finds a Seasoned coach that can. It looks like we are screwed.

Now this guy knows football! kudos to you.

Back
Top Bottom