Ryan Tannehill currently has 4th highest YPA in NFL | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Tannehill currently has 4th highest YPA in NFL

SkapePhin

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
According to some people we've heard from over the years, doesn't that automatically make him a franchise QB? :lol:

https://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/yardsPerPassAttempt

YPA = 8.11

CvQAUMjWAAAEebN.jpg:large

Nice.

Get those touchdowns up and keep moving in the pocket like he did Sunday and we may have something.

Interesting: I don't expect these stats to hold up, but in the here and now, they are significant! Just watchin' and waitin' for the textbook bloviators who preached this stat as a more meaningful benchmark arguing against THill's pure yardage and completion stats, to begin finding ways to equivocate.

Awsi mentioned that in another thread.

Tannenbombs is not an adjuster. Others are. Hence the ping pong around here depending on result.

There is always something to clutch as the magic potion.

Tannehill's yards per attempt is very good this season. Normally that equates to success. It hasn't in our case largely because Tannehill has been so imbalanced. Comebacks are for suckers, as I've long emphasized. Right now Tannehill is averaging 9.1 YPA while trailing, compared to 5.4 while tied and 6.4 when ahead. He has freakish stats in the third quarter while everything else is within normal range. In other words, he digs a hole and then relaxes and admirably tries to rescue the situation, but he's also error prone while the YPA is at peak. Five of Tannehill's 7 interceptions have been while trailing. That's why the Adjusted Yards Per Attempt drops a full yard to an unremarkable 7.1, and the Adjusted Net Yards Per Attempt (touchdown passes, sacks, sack yards, etc.) plummets below 6.0 to 25th in the league.

Our passing game has not been good enough, despite the lofty raw YPA.

Still, it's a positive overall trend. I never kidded myself that we were actually going to explore a change. We patch the stadium, mangle the logo, adjust the quarterback, and miss the playoffs. That's the way Dolphin football functions in this era.
don't get me wrong I want to see him do great and having a high YPA should correlate to success, however when we are sitting at 2-4, there is a lot left to be desired on both sides of the ball.

Awsi mentioned that in another thread.

don't get me wrong I want to see him do great and having a high YPA should correlate to success, however when we are sitting at 2-4, there is a lot left to be desired on both sides of the ball.

Trust me, I was ready to dump Tannehill after the Titans game. I still give him the rest of the year, but if its the same I'm ready to move on. I just want to see how all the people who yelled YPAAAAAA at the top of their lungs for several years have to say about this...

Tannehill has to fix his TD/INT ratio now. It's weird, every time he fixes one issue that was perceived as a weakness (YPA, the long ball), something else pops up...

Every stat is going to be looked at in a different way by different people. In the end we all just want to win again like we did in the 70's and 80's and till we do, people will find something wrong with everything

Ozzy rules!!

Trust me, I was ready to dump Tannehill after the Titans game. I still give him the rest of the year, but if its the same I'm ready to move on. I just want to see how all the people who yelled YPAAAAAA at the top of their lungs for several years have to say about this...

Tannehill has to fix his TD/INT ratio now. It's weird, every time he fixes one issue that was perceived as a weakness (YPA, the long ball), something else pops up...

Several dropped TD's and penalty resulting in lost TDs hasn't helped his cause.

In fairness to Tannehill, his teammates have dropped at least 5 or 6 TD's if I'm not mistaking and I know every QB will have guys drop a TD pass at one time or another. We have dropped some very easy ones so that stat "should" be much better than what it is right now

Ozzy rules!!

I have a slightly different take on RT. I do believe he is going to be a very late bloomer - as in his best years will be when he's 30-35 when the game has really slowed down for him. Question is who he'll be playing for...

Well to be fair, he has thrown at least 5 tds that were either dropped or called back due to dumb penalties. But I do understand its part of the game and he needs to be better.

Saying YPA is the end all be all stat is like saying a QB's hand size determines his future.

Tannehill's yards per attempt is very good this season. Normally that equates to success. It hasn't in our case largely because Tannehill has been so imbalanced. Comebacks are for suckers, as I've long emphasized. Right now Tannehill is averaging 9.1 YPA while trailing, compared to 5.4 while tied and 6.4 when ahead. He has freakish stats in the third quarter while everything else is within normal range. In other words, he digs a hole and then relaxes and admirably tries to rescue the situation, but he's also error prone while the YPA is at peak. Five of Tannehill's 7 interceptions have been while trailing. That's why the Adjusted Yards Per Attempt drops a full yard to an unremarkable 7.1, and the Adjusted Net Yards Per Attempt (touchdown passes, sacks, sack yards, etc.) plummets below 6.0 to 25th in the league.

Sounds like happy adjusting to me.

Tannehill could be leading in every stat and some fans would still find something to complain about. Btw for those saying he needs to improve his TD/INT ratio i agree 100%.

well, touchdown drives should be counted as he was the qb who led them down the field.

Back
Top Bottom