Ryan Tannehill currently has 4th highest YPA in NFL | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Tannehill currently has 4th highest YPA in NFL

I know of at least 6 TDs he has had dropped this year that I can specifically recall.

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

....or were called back because of formation

Trust me, I was ready to dump Tannehill after the Titans game. I still give him the rest of the year, but if its the same I'm ready to move on. I just want to see how all the people who yelled YPAAAAAA at the top of their lungs for several years have to say about this...

Tannehill has to fix his TD/INT ratio now. It's weird, every time he fixes one issue that was perceived as a weakness (YPA, the long ball), something else pops up...

the Tennessee game? only thing you should have done with that tape was throw it out...the qb had no chance

the Tennessee game? only thing you should have done with that tape was throw it out...the qb had no chance

I agree the OL was a wreck, but frustrated with the same pattern of early season struggles. The Browns and Bengals games irritated me as well. The OL has been a joke for most of his career here, but I hardly ever see him create. And how many years can we continue with the excuses? The Steelers game was encouraging because there were several games where he created a play out of nothing.

I agree the OL was a wreck, but frustrated with the same pattern of early season struggles. The Browns and Bengals games irritated me as well. The OL has been a joke for most of his career here, but I hardly ever see him create. And how many years can we continue with the excuses? The Steelers game was encouraging because there were several games where he created a play out of nothing.

your welcome to think whatever you want but if your back foot can't hit its not an excuse...even adam gase says that

where are the happy adjusters with the horizontal based qb that requires a horizontal system and offense...

Last edited by a moderator:

How long until we fix the OL?

Every stat is going to be looked at in a different way by different people. In the end we all just want to win again like we did in the 70's and 80's and till we do, people will find something wrong with everything

Ozzy rules!!

The 90's were pretty satisfying to me also. We played competitive ball every year.

Passing efficiency statistics can be a good measure for winning, and they come down to more than just the quarterback. Tannehill's higher YPA has more to do with the types of routes that are being run and the emphasis on trying to throw the ball downfield more aggressively.

However, as I've been saying here for years now, the most relevant passing efficiency measurement to winning football games is the Touchdown to Interception Per Attempt ratio. Touchdown % per attempt - Interception % per attempt

Right now, Tannehill is posting the worst such ratio of his career, with a mediocre 3.2% touchdown rate and a bad 3.7% interception rate. 8.1 Y/A is nice, but putting the ball in the end zone and avoiding turnovers is nicer.

Play better. I still support our QB and think he can be a big part of the solution. But with that said, play better.

Passing efficiency statistics can be a good measure for winning, and they come down to more than just the quarterback. Tannehill's higher YPA has more to do with the types of routes that are being run and the emphasis on trying to throw the ball downfield more aggressively.

However, as I've been saying here for years now, the most relevant passing efficiency measurement to winning football games is the Touchdown to Interception Per Attempt ratio. Touchdown % per attempt - Interception % per attempt

Right now, Tannehill is posting the worst such ratio of his career, with a mediocre 3.2% touchdown rate and a bad 3.7% interception rate. 8.1 Y/A is nice, but putting the ball in the end zone and avoiding turnovers is nicer.

Play better. I still support our QB and think he can be a big part of the solution. But with that said, play better.
Ridiculous drops this year... Although the INT rate does need to be fixed somewhat...

Get the lead out of the feet, move around in the pocket AND more roll outs or moving pockets.....

Then the stats MIGHT improve and we MIGHT have a QB

Thanks to Wildbill for pasting what I posted in another thread. Saved me some time.

Tannehill improved in this area last season and has taken another step this year. I mentioned it during prior weeks also.

I should have been more specific regarding the third quarter. Tannehill has the best stats I've ever seen in a given quarter to this point of a season. He is 37 of 43 for 10.6 YPA and a 116.7 passer rating. That is indeed freakish. Everything else is basically his 2015 level.

The only other notable situational trend is that his first 10 attempts of each game are weak: 56.7% completion percentage, 6.8 YPA and 2 interceptions. In attempts 11-20 his YPA jumps to 8.4 but he's thrown 3 interceptions compared to zero touchdowns. He really picks it up beginning with throw #21, in YPA and TD/INT ratio. That more or less aligns with third quarter.

This is certainly preferable to where Tannehill was, and anything he has shown in YPA including Texas A&M. It needs to happen from the outset of a game, and be less dependent on score and situation. Peyton Manning, for example, often had his best YPA when tied. I bet first halves so I look at that category. Tied is obviously apropos to the beginning of a game, and also critical stages deeper in a game.

Brad Kaaya of the Canes is exactly the opposite. He is a pure frontrunner, as I posted in the Draft Forum before the Florida State game. Kaaya's stats and the team performance really suffers when Miami falls behind. Another poster detailed the devastating numbers on a Canes site today:

Credit to bshaw28 on CanesInsight.com.

With Kaaya as the starting QB in the last 3 years:

* 7 games Miami has been down at halftime between 0 - 8 points (one score)
* All 7 Miami has lost by 10 or more points
* Miami scored a TD in the 1st half in all 7 games (10 TDs Total)
* Miami scored a TD in the 2nd half in only 3 games (4 TDs Total)
* Miami came back to take the lead in 0 of those games

How many TD passes have been dropped so far this year by Miami players?

I'm not talking passes. Not even crucial drive-killing passes. I'm talking sure TD passes.

RT17 probably leads the league in dropped TD passes in six games. It's embarrassing, after awhile. Worst receiving corps in the NFL if you count dropped TD passes as the 1 indicator.

LD

How many TD passes have been dropped so far this year by Miami players?

I'm not talking passes. Not even crucial drive-killing passes. I'm talking sure TD passes.

RT17 probably leads the league in dropped TD passes in six games. It's embarrassing, after awhile. Worst receiving corps in the NFL if you count dropped TD passes as the 1 indicator.

LD

As always, the quarterback's stats are a reflection of both his personal play and the pass offense as a whole. We had two games this season in which I honestly felt that the quality of blocking was so abysmal -- simply unacceptable -- that I gave every single skill player a pass on their performance. You can't function in that kind of environment, period.

But I will say, at the risk of being pilloried, I will just say this: the one offensive skill player that I have been the most disappointed with in 2016 is #11 DeVante Parker. I think he has a lot more talent than what he's playing like right now. I expect much better.

As always, the quarterback's stats are a reflection of both his personal play and the pass offense as a whole. We had two games this season in which I honestly felt that the quality of blocking was so abysmal -- simply unacceptable -- that I gave every single skill player a pass on their performance. You can't function in that kind of environment, period.

But I will say, at the risk of being pilloried, I will just say this: the one offensive skill player that I have been the most disappointed with in 2016 is #11 DeVante Parker. I think he has a lot more talent than what he's playing like right now. I expect much better.

Devante and Stills have both underwhelmed. Stills more than DVP, but DVP is doing something that he's never done before: Looking to contact before making contested catch. I've seen him do so on four different occasions, where it's possible to tell. It's messed up some big time catches and at least 3 TDs for him.

I get that when you are talking "offense as a whole," these things are included. But not many people have the ability to see "offense as a whole" when trashing aspects of QB play, for instance.

Honestly, the rate of dropped TDs and contested catches this year is mind blowing. It's more than many teams have in an entire season and a half. DVP, Stills, Cameron, Landry, Sims... Unless DVP majorly steps up he'll never come close to sniffing an alfa 1 WR rating, imo. A slightly more talented Hartline dropped passes and killing TDs and drives, and disappearing in red zone because of complete lack of quick twitch.

LD

Devante and Stills have both underwhelmed. Stills more than DVP, but DVP is doing something that he's never done before: Looking to contact before making contested catch. I've seen him do so on four different occasions, where it's possible to tell. It's messed up some big time catches and at least 3 TDs for him.

I get that when you are talking "offense as a whole," these things are included. But not many people have the ability to see "offense as a whole" when trashing aspects of QB play, for instance.

Honestly, the rate of dropped TDs and contested catches this year is mind blowing. It's more than many teams have in an entire season and a half. DVP, Stills, Cameron, Landry, Sims... Unless DVP majorly steps up he'll never come close to sniffing an alfa 1 WR rating, imo. A slightly more talented Hartline dropped passes and killing TDs and drives, and disappearing in red zone because of complete lack of quick twitch.

LD

So true, remember when I think it was PFF rated our WR group low and people thought that was totally unfair?

you can see why Stills wasn't a favorite of Drew in NO. Hoping Parker can assert himself more and dominant on some of these plays he should- will it come? I hope so.

So another stat Tanne seems to be near the top of. Look, he can do about anything asked of him. He isn't perfect, but it's time to be totally real about his supporting cast (including coaches) during his career. He has make chicken salad from chicken sht. Time to lay off Tanne and pray to God the rest gets fixed one way or another.

Back
Top Bottom