Ryan Tannehill currently has 4th highest YPA in NFL | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Tannehill currently has 4th highest YPA in NFL

I just finished rewatching all of the snaps from week 1 through 4 thanks to dnespins youtube channel... Up to that point I've counted 3 drops. Unfortunately he doesnt have week five on there and Im not going to bother with week 6 as the 5 drops seem reasonable enough.... So yeah, I just proved myself wrong...

well, it certainly seems like 100 percent of our drops were sure TDs. that *could've* been the difference between 2-4 and 4-2.

Tannehill has been awful this year and you shouldn't need to look at any stats to know that. He has been absolutely horrendous except for one game, where everything went completrly perfect for the team and for him.

Defense and run game were phenomenal, and tannehill didn't have to do much but throw some short passes and complete 3rd downs. Besides that, he has easily been one of the worst QBs in the NFL this year.

well, it certainly seems like 100 percent of our drops were sure TDs. that *could've* been the difference between 2-4 and 4-2.

Well in the 1st 4 weeks that I just re-Watched this morning, Stills dropped the only sure TD.... I clearly remember 2 sure TD dropped in the steelers game... So that makes at the very least 3 although Sims drop wasnt officially recorded as a drop... Im not re-watching the titans game for obvious reasons and I honestly cant remember if there were any in that game...

Seriously though, how good is Julio jones!? Look at Matt's ypa! You know that's half due to jones. Amazing.

I don't understand what some people like about avg qb that do not win games.

I love the talk of, "he's been up and down his whole career."

When has he been up? What season was that?

The closest thing to an up season he's had was lazors first year which was clearly a fluke when compared to the rest of his career. And he folded up like a real coward when it came time to win an important game and get in the playoffs.

Everyone other season hes been garbage.

So no, he hasn't been up or down or inconsistent. He's flat out sucked.

Alot of people just understand that even a average QB is hard to find these days and arent all that confident that making a switch will be an improvement.... You see between Marino and Tannehill, we have dealt with horrendous QBs switching multiple times without any improvement.... Average looks great compared to horrendous so thats where the support comes from...

Alot of people also beleive that we can get good/great performance from current QB given that we field an average OL. With that in mind, said people beleive that it should be easier to field a average OL than it would be to find a GREAT QB that can overcome bottom 5 OL play and bottom 5 defensive play and bottom 5 running game and still make the playoffs... Especially when a sure fire like Andrew Luck is having a hard time with the same issues...

How confident are you that the next QB will be above average?

Alot of people just understand that even a average QB is hard to find these days and arent all that confident that making a switch will be an improvement.... You see between Marino and Tannehill, we have dealt with horrendous QBs switching multiple times without any improvement.... Average looks great compared to horrendous so thats where the support comes from...

Zactly. Go back a few years and list all the teams with avg or above QBs that draft a QB in 1st 3 rounds. More often it's a team with a top QB and few holes. Other than that, teams stick with avg. until all bigger holes are filled. May not like it, but that's common.

Zactly. Go back a few years and list all the teams with avg or above QBs that draft a QB in 1st 3 rounds. More often it's a team with a top QB and few holes. Other than that, teams stick with avg. until all bigger holes are filled. May not like it, but that's common.
Whats interresting is that at least 3 of the top QBs these days were drafted by teams who were already strong overall. Big Ben and Russel Wilson both benifited from top 5 Ds and a strong running game coming into the league, they werent asked to put a team on their shoulder. Both were drafted late too as did Aaron Rodgers.... You'd have to think that the high bust rate from guys being picked in the top 10 has alot to do with the fact that teams with such high picks are usually flawed and expect their new toy to erase every flaw on their team...

Whats interresting is that at least 3 of the top QBs these days were drafted by teams who were already strong overall. Big Ben and Russel Wilson both benifited from top 5 Ds and a strong running game coming into the league, they werent asked to put a team on their shoulder. Both were drafted late too as did Aaron Rodgers.... You'd have to think that the high bust rate from guys being picked in the top 10 has alot to do with the fact that teams with such high picks are usually flawed and expect their new toy to erase every flaw on their team...

Without verifying the data (i.e., from memory), . . . years '04>'13.
8 QBs taken 1st or 2nd. "Elite" is Newton. QBs of note, Eli, Bradford, Stafford, A Smith, Luck. Top 10 draft picks consist of 6. Rivers and M Ryan in that group. Picks 11>32 consist of 11 and contain Ben, Rodgers, Flacco. Odds get worse the further down in the draft. R2 picks contain 11 QBs, one of whom is Dalton. R4>R6 contain 43 picks. Best known names are Orton and Tyrod. I'm not against drafting a QB, but I'll continue to emphasize how bad the odds are of getting an "average" QB after the 1st/2d picks - and of those starters, "top QB" isn't a common description.

Without verifying the data (i.e., from memory), . . . years '04>'13.
8 QBs taken 1st or 2nd. "Elite" is Newton. QBs of note, Eli, Bradford, Stafford, A Smith, Luck. Top 10 draft picks consist of 6. Rivers and M Ryan in that group. Picks 11>32 consist of 11 and contain Ben, Rodgers, Flacco. Odds get worse the further down in the draft. R2 picks contain 11 QBs, one of whom is Dalton. R4>R6 contain 43 picks. Best known names are Orton and Tyrod. I'm not against drafting a QB, but I'll continue to emphasize how bad the odds are of getting an "average" QB after the 1st/2d picks - and of those starters, "top QB" isn't a common description.

Was speaking more of late in the draft order, as in being drafted by better teams.... Ben and Rodgers fit the bill while Wilson being picked in the 3rd is an exception as there's no way you should expect that kind of return from a 3rd round QB.... I included him because he did benifit from a strong team overall...

I threw in early R1 for those people who equate 'top' picks as "elite" or "top" QBs. Nope. Getting starters is more likely, but team-changing QBs? The problem is human nature. Everyone remembers the Big Ben, Rodgers, Wilson, Brady, but forget the volume of "churn" to find them.They forget 32 teams passed on Wilson twice and five times on Brady. Thy seem to think it was "obvious" to everyone but "my" team. But, we agree, all those you name went to top teams.

I threw in early R1 for those people who equate 'top' picks as "elite" or "top" QBs. Nope. Getting starters is more likely, but team-changing QBs? The problem is human nature. Everyone remembers the Big Ben, Rodgers, Wilson, Brady, but forget the volume of "churn" to find them.They forget 32 teams passed on Wilson twice and five times on Brady. Thy seem to think it was "obvious" to everyone but "my" team. But, we agree, all those you name went to top teams.

We're on the same page...
Here's an attempt to show just how rare elite QBs are and how likely it is we get one....
Everyone can agree that Rodgers, Big Ben, Brady, Wilson and Newton are your current bonified elite QBs...

The first one drafted in that bunch is Big Ben in 2004

That means 5 guys in 12 years

Thats not even one once every 2 drafts

Add in the fact that there are 10+ QBs drafted every year and that 4 of the 5 elite guys werent even drafted 1st overall and 2 of them beyond the 2nd round

Its quite obvious that 1) Sucking for anyone is a very stupid strategy 2) Finding that elite QB is alot more about luck than anything else.... About (2): It seems as though you can make your own luck by building a strong foundation, fixing your weakest links systematically until QB is your weakest link. Building a strong running game and defense makes any rookie QB's job a whole lot easier...

Back
Top Bottom