Ryan Tannehill Didn’t Consider Audible On Third-and-10 Versus Indy. Here’s Why | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Tannehill Didn’t Consider Audible On Third-and-10 Versus Indy. Here’s Why

Box count was even and I think they were dropping into cover 4. Safety was unblocked when he should've been picked up. If the safety is blocked we have the edge and a sizeable gain.

Care to elaborate on who blew their assignment?

Box count was even and I think they were dropping into cover 4. Safety was unblocked when he should've been picked up. If the safety is blocked we have the edge and a sizeable gain.

That’s what I figured. Play call completely field position based. Nothing to do with qb trust.

Tannehill should be tougher and just change the play to whatever he wants. Screw the play sent in by the coach. He's so weak. Just call whatever you want like a man you puss!

*that's the point of every thread started in the last 4 days so i thought I'd jump start this one and just get to the point trying to be made.

He's allowed to audible if he sees certain looks. Sounds a lot like the Lazor days.

He’s not gonna change the play there when the box counts even and it’s a situational play call.

They may not even have a built in for that alignment/personnel group

First game back they are gonna limit some qb ask but that’s field position dictating that call all day long

Tannehill should be tougher and just change the play to whatever he wants. Screw the play sent in by the coach. He's so weak. Just call whatever you want like a man you puss!

*that's the point of every thread started in the last 4 days so i thought I'd jump start this one and just get to the point trying to be made.
A seven year veteran should have the ability to audible into better plays at the LOS.
If he's NOT allowed to, that's on the coaches.
If he's allowed, and doesn't do it, that's on him.

The thing that really just baffles me is that Gase never seems to have that "ace in the hole" play or any wide spectrum of plays in his repertoire from which to draw. He really uses the same handful of plays set up slightly differently for everything. I'm no football guru by any stretch but it seems to me that this is a major reason that we continuously struggle in specific situations where deception or brute force or distance are needed like short yardage, goal line, red zone, 2 minute drill, killing the clock with a lead, etc. We move the ball between the 20s fairly well during the game but have failed miserably for years in critical situational football.

I think one of Ryan's strengths is not is brain on the field..this more feels like Gase limiting him though.

It's all just so broken

I think one of Ryan's strengths is not is brain on the field..this more feels like Gase limiting him though.

It's all just so broken

Which is odd because his ID’ing is pretty top notch. I wonder if he has instinctual football IQ. Some people have it and some don’t.

Which is odd because his ID’ing is pretty top notch. I wonder if he has instinctual football IQ. Some people have it and some don’t.

He doesn't have it my man - it was all over his college tape. That's what concerned me with him.

I couldn't believe how many times I watched him get outside the pocket and pass up 10 yards of nothing but green grass and daylight in front of him on 3rd and 6 - only to throw the ball to Nwachukwu falling out of bounds 2 yards short of the sticks. It was alarming.

He doesn't have it my man - it was all over his college tape. That's what concerned me with him.

I couldn't believe how many times I watched him get outside the pocket and pass up 10 yards of nothing but green grass and daylight in front of him on 3rd and 6 - only to throw the ball to Nwachukwu falling out of bounds 2 yards short of the sticks. It was alarming.

Its so odd. He can do whats taught pretty well - ID'ing coverage, shift protections, hitting what he needs to hit in his reads, etc but when it comes to instinctual IQ or plays its not there. For his entire Dolphins career he has done what you said - Have green grass in front of him but not take it. Andy Dalton and Fitzpatrick who are not the athlete he is, take off more and get cheap 1st downs at a much higher rate.

Its just a weird situation to me, almost like he needs to be told to just play backyard football sometimes. Or he needs to go to someone like Reid or McVay where their schemes are so sound that he can continue to be who he is. I think he would've been a good fit in Kubiak's offense.

Honestly I just wish Gase would install a more vertical offense. It pisses me off to see how horizontal Gase wants to get. It must work in practice against these linebackers and secondary to make him want to push that offense still.

Back
Top Bottom