Ryan Tannehill's pocket awareness | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Tannehill's pocket awareness

i wish he could show us that, because all I've seen is good pocket presence. Not saying he doesnt ever hold the ball too long, but for the most part, I dont see his pocket presence as an issue at all.

I've seen him show great pocket presence, I've seen him show bad. He definitely hasn't shown that knack for escaping like Luck, but we have seen flashes.
My guess is that he will look much better at it with more experience and a capable O-line

OK - I am not quite as impressed as you are because the NFL changed...It's not the same as when Marino was a rookie...
The rules are SOOOO pass friendly that his play has been pretty good but for me not astonishing...

Also the conversation presented was "pocket presence" and not issues of competitiveness and durability. In those categories he's done well - I like him for that ---but, but buuuuut, none of those things matter much if the guy does not have good pocket presence. And the jury is out in my opinion.

Keep in mind that when Ryan was drafted most experts said he'll need a couple years to really come into his own due to his lack of experience.

Also remember who he was throwing to his rookie season, and the little help he received year 2 in front of him and behind him.

Taking all of that into account I can't help but be astonished of the job he's done with so little to work with.

He's been durable and unfazed by all the obstacles thrown his way.

All things considered, the man deserves much more credit than he's gotten for the job he's done thus far.

I don't think this video shows "pocket presence" at all. I think all you did here was a make the case for those saying he doesn't have pocket presence. This video shows him scrambling out with clear pressure present. What it does not show:

1. An ability to feel the pressure from the backside
2. The ability to move up in the pocket and hit receivers without scrambling
3. The ability to sidestep to make the rusher miss

All the video shows is that he is athletic and can scramble if he feels the pressure. That isn't "pocket presence."

Tannehill has his share of bad plays but the oline gets the majority of the blame.

OK - I am not quite as impressed as you are because the NFL changed...It's not the same as when Marino was a rookie...
The rules are SOOOO pass friendly that his play has been pretty good but for me not astonishing...

Also the conversation presented was "pocket presence" and not issues of competitiveness and durability. In those categories he's done well - I like him for that ---but, but buuuuut, none of those things matter much if the guy does not have good pocket presence. And the jury is out in my opinion.
You're absolutely entitled to your opinion, however I think it's important to have a full perspective where you look at all angels pertaining to the issue in order to be correct in your assessment.

Let me just say, I don't think Tannehill's play has been astonishing.

Remarkable is a more fitting description.

It's remarkable that he's still breathing.

I mean, the guy has taken a beating and in a sense, has been held back tremendously by the people around him. Yet you haven't heard him throw anybody under the bus, not once. He gets up, dust himself off and takes ownership of the results. Always says the right things and more than anything else shows the willingness to accept critique and to strive to improve. The guy does not waiver despite everything he has been through. He hasn't publicly undermined the coaching staff for putting him in compromised situations time and time again. He's just rolled with the punches and dealt with the cards that were given to him.

Saying it's a passing league is to imply that he should be throwing for 5'000 yards with one hand tied behind his back or something. And it's a clear indication that your expectations might be a little too high. Truth is, many fans struggle to see the forest for the trees. It's all about seeing progression. Is he perfect? Definitely not. But is he improving? Yes, incrementally.

And at the end of the day, that is all that matters.

People can dismiss certain factors all they want and put all the blame on him, but it's a team game and I assure you we haven't seen nothing close to a finish product as of yet.

I don't think this video shows "pocket presence" at all. I think all you did here was a make the case for those saying he doesn't have pocket presence. This video shows him scrambling out with clear pressure present. What it does not show:

All the video shows is that he is athletic and can scramble if he feels the pressure. That isn't "pocket presence."
There are examples of all three points pointed out present in the video.

It's a sample size, not an official coaches film.

I love the ignorance and excuse making. I agree the line was pisspoor. But it wasn't piss poor on every single down. And there are many times this season on individual plays where the line provided enough time. And when the pocket broke down which it eventually will on a play. Rt had noooooo idea the rush was coming. If you rtfanboys can't admit he has poor pocket presence I can see why you are easily fooled by a video that selects a handful of plays to make the op's point.

Try thinking a little note about things. And looking at the entire season. Not just the plays where the pocket collapsed nearly instantly. That didn't happen on ever single play this season so let's not pretend it did because you can't make a valid argument.

I know you guys like to hate on me. And I actually hope rt figures it out. He has some of the tools. But if he can't figure this out. Then we are going to have serious problems.

Nailed it

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

It shouldn't take rt this long to develop. I understand its only two years. But the NFL now makes it soooo easy to be a qb if you possess the basic skills. Its starting to look like we have a slow learner on our hands and that's not good in today's nfl

I love the ignorance and excuse making. I agree the line was pisspoor. But it wasn't piss poor on every single down. And there are many times this season on individual plays where the line provided enough time. And when the pocket broke down which it eventually will on a play. Rt had noooooo idea the rush was coming. If you rtfanboys can't admit he has poor pocket presence I can see why you are easily fooled by a video that selects a handful of plays to make the op's point.

Try thinking a little note about things. And looking at the entire season. Not just the plays where the pocket collapsed nearly instantly. That didn't happen on ever single play this season so let's not pretend it did because you can't make a valid argument.

I know you guys like to hate on me. And I actually hope rt figures it out. He has some of the tools. But if he can't figure this out. Then we are going to have serious problems.

I just dont agree. There are times when it happened sure, but I dont believe the sample size is enough to call it a problem. And you can argue all you want and call us ignorant and fanboys, but come with some proof or dont come at all.

It was pretty bad 75% of the time. Nobody is saying his pocket awareness was great he had some issues. But fix the line and tannwhill will build confidence. One other thing you guys forget. Sherman told tannehill not to leave the pocket in order to develop pocket skills. You can't handcuff your QB by telling him not to scramble when a rush comes. That kind of degrades your pocket awareness talking point cuz that's all it is. Just like any political party you tannehill bashers have been told talking points by the media. Don't believe everything you hear.

Back
Top Bottom