Ryan Tannehill's pocket awareness | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Tannehill's pocket awareness

I was listening to finsiders yesterday and they mentioned something I've been saying for a year. Tannehill was different from year one to year two. In year one, he got rid of the ball faster and appeared to be the athletic QB we assumed he was. In year two, that all disappeared. They speculated that coaches wanted Ryan to hold onto the ball longer and be more patient in the pocket and go through his progressions, and that had a negative effect on that "internal clock" in Ryan's head. They also pointed out that O linemen have that same "clock" in their heads and assume the QB has made a move at some point even if they know they've lost their man.

I've been saying this over and over, because it's what my eyeballs have told me.

Haters gonna hate, this Wallace dude doesn't know crap about football. Block him and move on.

Clueless.
Wahhhh. Do you need a tissue?

You just attack the poster because you can't prove me wing.

Miami Dolphins don’t want Ryan Tannehill as a ‘running quarterback’

I was listening to finsiders yesterday and they mentioned something I've been saying for a year. Tannehill was different from year one to year two. In year one, he got rid of the ball faster and appeared to be the athletic QB we assumed he was. In year two, that all disappeared. They speculated that coaches wanted Ryan to hold onto the ball longer and be more patient in the pocket and go through his progressions, and that had a negative effect on that "internal clock" in Ryan's head. They also pointed out that O linemen have that same "clock" in their heads and assume the QB has made a move at some point even if they know they've lost their man.

I've been saying this over and over, because it's what my eyeballs have told me.
It's not that the coaches wanted Tannehill to hold onto the ball longer, they (Sherman) wanted Ryan to develop as a pocket passer first.
“He’s a pocket quarterback who has good feet and can get himself out of trouble and was able to convert some downs with his feet by running for first downs in the game on pass plays,” Sherman said. “I think it’s a part of the offense, I don’t think it is ‘the offense.’ We have a lot more other components that we have. It’s just to keep people honest for the most part. Some weeks we use it, some weeks we don’t. I think the element of surprise allows you an opportunity to maybe pull a run out like we did yesterday.”

A former college receiver at Texas A&M, Tannehill has been rolling out of the pocket more in recent weeks. It’s been successful and his sack total is down.

The Dolphins have still been hesitant to let Tannehill run the ball on short third-down conversions.

Sherman said he didn’t call many running plays for Tannehill last year because he wanted Tannehill to focus on developing as a pocket passer.

“I wanted to make sure that we developed his skills as a quarterback,” Sherman said. “He’s going to be recognized as a pocket quarterback before he’s going to be recognized in this offense as a running quarterback.”
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...want-ryan-tannehill-as-a-running-quarterback/

since this was bumped again, some dude named Greg Cossel also thinks his pocket presence is bad.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/multim...s-Roster/f94c2348-ceab-4f91-8f46-a6597bfa58f9

That's not what he said. This is what he said:

"There are times where I feel that his pocket presence and internal clock are not quite right. "

"When watching Tannehill I often get the feeling that his internal clock is not as sharp as the high level quarterbacks."

Not quite the glaring condemnation as professed by the clowns on this message board.

"There are times where I feel that his pocket presence and internal clock are not quite right. "

"When watching Tannehill I often get the feeling that his internal clock is not as sharp as the high level quarterbacks."

Not quite the glaring condemnation as professed by the clowns on this message board.

Not a condemnation, but not good either. This is a man who's job has been watching films of these players for decades.

All the video has proved you WING, Mike.

Go practice, alligator arms. Learn how to catch a ball. Bum.

It proved nothing. The video is pointless.

A few select plays which were the exception to the rule of the entire season show nothing.

Also unlike you, I don't need to be spoon fed a video to get my opinion. I just watched the games, and formulated my own opinion. I know it's something you aren't capable of, and I"m sorry for that. If you watched the games and had a clue, you'd see the same thing.

But you can't... you.... must.... protect.... ryans.... feelings.....

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

And because of this, he will never be a high level QB. He shows NO SIGNS of improving in this issue. It doesn't matter though, this is ryans last season anyway.

Not a condemnation, but not good either. This is a man who's job has been watching films of these players for decades.

His biggest issue was the internal clock NOT pocket presence. And it was in comparison to the top QBs.

How do you think he would describe the various aspects of ANY of the league's young QBs?

And because of this, he will never be a high level QB. He shows NO SIGNS of improving in this issue. It doesn't matter though, this is ryans last season anyway.

Don't you love farce?
My fault, I fear.
I thought that you'd want what I want...
Sorry, my dear!
And where are the clowns
Send in the clowns
Don't bother, they're here.

Don't you love farce?
My fault, I fear.
I thought that you'd want what I want...
Sorry, my dear!
And where are the clowns
Send in the clowns
Don't bother, they're here.

He is not nearly well-heeled enough to know that song.

Greg Cosell is also a big fan of Ryan Tannehill, so the criticism should be viewed in that context. Kind of like I've said that Andrew Luck's struggled with balls sailing on him his first two years in the pros. I'm still a huge fan of Luck, but it's not as if he's perfect. Nobody is.

No one is perfect, and anyone trying to claim Tannehill looks 100% comfortable in the pocket is fooling themselves. Sometimes he looks a little stiff, overwhelmed, heavy-footed in the pocket. It's not a crucification of his play. As a matter of fact, if there is any area of the game where it would be expected for him to lag a bit after playing WR, comfort in the pocket would be top of the list. There were games where he looked MUCH quicker, more agile in the pocket, and that gave me hope. Part of this was probably knowing he had OL issues, and not able to feel protected after getting slammed so many times near instantly. However, the other fundamental parts of the games he is above average...accuracy, reads, decision making, on the run, etc. That video highlighted his ability to scramble, which is also often overlooked. I hope he continues to improve, and after some offseason runs with a real OL, has confidence in them. Stop saying this can't be taught or developed, of course it can. People act like a QB out of the womb either feels comfortable in a pocket being chased down by 250+lb men or doesn't. It takes time, and that comfort level will continue to increase. He will get better, he has the tools, and I believe will be the face of this franchise.

His biggest issue was the internal clock NOT pocket presence. And it was in comparison to the top QBs.

How do you think he would describe the various aspects of ANY of the league's young QBs?

What do you think comprises "pocket presence?" Internal clock is one of the attributes that makes up the whole.

I wouldn't go around painting a broad stroke across every young QB though. We saw the Profootball Focus stat about unblocked pressure and guys like Wilson/Luck have better metrics. So people are not wrong for wanting to see a higher level of play in that regard from a guy drafted as high as Tanny was.

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

Greg Cosell is also a big fan of Ryan Tannehill, so the criticism should be viewed in that context. Kind of like I've said that Andrew Luck's struggled with balls sailing on him his first two years in the pros. I'm still a huge fan of Luck, but it's not as if he's perfect. Nobody is.

Seriously, I'm not trying to have this conversation devolve into "the perfect QB". It's a pointless conversation.

What do you think comprises "pocket presence?" Internal clock is one of the attributes that makes up the whole.

Pocket presence is the ability to sense pressure and move within the pocket to avoid it. It includes the ability to sense pressure while keeping your eyes down field.

IMO, the internal clock is a separate issue. That is why Cosell mentioned pocket presence AND internal clock, not including his internal clock, not especially his internal clock, AND his internal clock.

I wouldn't go around painting a broad stroke across every young QB though. We saw the Profootball Focus stat about unblocked pressure and guys like Wilson/Luck have better metrics. So people are not wrong for wanting to see a higher level of play in that regard from a guy drafted as high as Tanny was.

Tannehill compares very well to both Luck and Wilson in many areas. We also saw stats that showed Wilson was responsible for a higher % of his teams sacks (by holding onto the ball too long) than Tannehill. What does that say about his internal clock?

Back
Top Bottom