Ryan Tannehill's pocket awareness | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Tannehill's pocket awareness

he rarely buys time in the pocket when the protection breaks down. side stepping rushers or moving laterally to keep the play alive is just not something he can do. ashame too because if he had that ability he would be a different qb but he doesnt and as it stands hes a mediocre middle of the pack guy. say all you want about he needs time and its the line and its the coordinator and its wallace and its the rb's but the bottom line is he is 15-17 as a starter and has a career 79 qbr. thats the definition of a guy who will get you 6-8 wins a year.

Show me a QB in his second year, who didn't need to improve? Yeah...
EXACTLY !!! This is the point, ALL 2nd year QBs are going to need improvement. But when there is a glaring area that needs improvement in his game and it is brought up, there are those around finheaven that will call you a hater, basher, and troll rather than trying to have a rational conversation.

Saying a 2nd yr QB that had only one full yr of college QBing experience, needs to improve on some areas of his game is like saying water is wet. We all knew this the day he was drafted. Personally I feel better than I thought I would at this point in the process. He has a huge ceiling, and a dedicated work ethic. If those qualities are pared with a better coaching staff, he can be a top 10, maybe even top 5 qb in a few years.

The point is, fin fans have to understand when someone brings up an area of weakness, it doesn't mean they are hating or against him. It is just being honest and keeps us from looking like blind clueless homers. Remember how stupid you felt a certain jet fan was/is that comes here quite often when he kept trying to tell us how great buttfumble was because he was on their team while it went to 2 AFC title games?? Do you really want to look like that buffoon??
:puke:

when tannehill stopped sitting in the pocket and decided to make plays, he started to finally come into his own. I truly believe that mike sherman had him focus on being a pocket quarterback, primarily. The reads he was making late in the season were top notch. i posted on twitter the td pass vs the jets, as an example. People focus on his last two games and think he is inconsistent, but watch the film. If not for two big drops-- hartline deep vs gilmore; matthews in open space vs jets-- we may be talking about two different outcomes. What I'm trying to imply is, Tannehill did an admirable job considering the position he was in. He doesn't have great pocket presence, but he has seen improvement. don't believe me, watch the growth from week 1 through 8 and from 9-17... I was starting to get frustrated, until i seen him finally turn on the switch. he's going to be special! I hope yall save this message.

The video shows how poor our line was. People who make up these pocket awareness arguments obviously have zero football iq.

EXACTLY !!! This is the point, ALL 2nd year QBs are going to need improvement. But when there is a glaring area that needs improvement in his game and it is brought up, there are those around finheaven that will call you a hater, basher, and troll rather than trying to have a rational conversation.

Saying a 2nd yr QB that had only one full yr of college QBing experience, needs to improve on some areas of his game is like saying water is wet. We all knew this the day he was drafted. Personally I feel better than I thought I would at this point in the process. He has a huge ceiling, and a dedicated work ethic. If those qualities are pared with a better coaching staff, he can be a top 10, maybe even top 5 qb in a few years.

The point is, fin fans have to understand when someone brings up an area of weakness, it doesn't mean they are hating or against him. It is just being honest and keeps us from looking like blind clueless homers. Remember how stupid you felt a certain jet fan was/is that comes here quite often when he kept trying to tell us how great buttfumble was because he was on their team while it went to 2 AFC title games?? Do you really want to look like that buffoon??
There is a big difference in the way you and Wallace17 bring your opinion across. Your posts are well thought out and you back up your opinion with a line of thought. The other guy is obviously just a troll and doesn't deserve the sympathy of a FH reg like you just because you agree on the only opinion he seems to contribute to this board. Its a deficiency in his game that he needs to get better at, and its fine as he is only a 2 seasons QB. The other guy on the other hand only shows up in Tannehill threads saying he sucks... Havent read anything else from him in any other subject... Defend your point, don't defend him... come on man

Nobody tries to defend Tannehill's weakness at throwing the bomb. The plain and simple fact is that many (and not just Dolphins fans) don't agree that Tannehill has poor pocket awareness. And what's even worse, many of the claims attempting to backup the opinion of poor pocket awareness are demonstrably false. That weakens the argument and the credibility of the poster. Claiming that Tannehill "always" holds on to the ball too long is moronic, since stats show that it just isn't true. Claiming that he "never" avoids pressure is moronic, since video shows that he often does.

wow after watching this video all I can say is, thank goodness we got Brandon Albert

I am not as knowledgeable as many guys on this forum. RT is one of the best moves this franchise has made in a long long while. He is by no means the best in the league. But I enjoy watching him play; he does pull off wins when a loss was inevitable last year. The only QB I wish we had during his draft class was Luck. Other than that I think RT is as good as the Colin Kapernicks, Can Newton, Russell Wilson (he is pretty good), RGIII. The only QB of his group who maybe better than RT would be potentially Nick Foles. From that group we have a good one. Hope he is the great one and this third year is the critical year. Not sure Philbin is the right choice, but with Lazor and hopefully a better line we get 2-3 more wins and get to the playoff. I hate to see the Patriots win every year.

Well for having a crap o line a rushing game that you never knew what you would get and a new group of wrs our qb with such bad pocket awareness didnt have too bad of a season

Where did you get that ranking? Sounds like you pulled it out of your you know what

Try 30th in pass protection per footballoutsiders. But my eyes tell me the line was pure crap

I believe that's PFF's analytic rating. Having seen several games up close and personal, I think they're way off while the Footballoutsiders' ranking more accurately reflects that particular "eye test."

However, if someone is gonna conjure up the PFF OL ranking to make their case that Tannehill's lack of pocket presence is mostly responsible for all those sacks, frankly they're also gonna either look disingenuous or downright silly by buying into the accuracy of PFF's analytic methodology on one hand .. and then on the other trying to reject that same methodology that actually ranks Tannehill as the 7th top QB last season too. :idk:

Haters gonna hate, this Wallace dude doesn't know crap about football. Block him and move on.

Clueless.

Dude says he hates Wallace, but has him as a nickname, and has been defending him since day one. That ones full of derp.

He IS Wallace. Look at his join date. He joined the day we signed Wallace.

I think Tannehill is fully aware more than anyone that his online sucked.

Back
Top Bottom